don't click here

Things in Sonic Games you misinterpreted when you were younger...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ollie, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    That's okay. I'll have that ready for you by 2016.

2. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Oh yeah. Just remembered another thing:

I used to think that, if I had a turbo-controller, I could make the gates to the loops of Sonic 3D Blast open at will, if positioned correctly and charged the spindash enough, like the boosters do, to I could get through the loop running instead of rolling.

I even tryied to fix a turbo-controller I had, just for this sole purpose. I quite achieved that, but the controller soon died, before I could get near the first booster in Green Grove Act 1. :(

3. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    Outside of mispronouncing Aquatic Ruin zone, Hydrocity zone, and believing that Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog came before the games, there wasn't actually to much that I misinterpreted. I was, however, told many things that I unfortunately believed:

I was told that allowing the ghosts in Sandopolis zone touch Sonic would turn him into a ghost. My older sister told me this, so for the longest time I was actually kinda afraid to let the ghosts touch me. Seeing as how I was the one that had to tell my sister that Tails was NOT a girl, I can't really tell you why I believed this.

I was told by a friend that collecting all 7 Super Emeralds in Sonic 3 and Knuckles would not only unlock an alternate ending where the characters talked, but it would also unlock a bunch of secret abilities. He said that each Emerald gave Sonic a new ability. From what I remember, he told me that the green emerald gave sonic super speed, the gray emerald gave sonic psychic abilities, and one of the other emeralds gave sonic the ability to pull bombs out of no where like Knuckles did in Launch Base zone. Again, I have no idea why I believed any of this.

And... That's all I can remember right now...

4. Leonard the Genie

Leonard the Genie

Prices aren't the only thing getting slashed Member
    I thought the platforms in cpz had eyes

5. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Yeah, that would be kinda coo... [​IMG] Nevermind.

6. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    I thought that Death Egg Zone actually contained cartons of rotten eggs and those things that bounce you up and down were indeed cartons. I never knew Dr Robotnik was also called Dr Eggman until I played Sonic Adventure...

7. Graxer

Graxer

And I just realised that they didn't... :rolleyes:

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I used to pronounce Chaos as "chay-os" until I watched the t.v. shows and realized that "ch" made a "k" sound :/

Come to think of it, Sonic taught me a lot of grammar in the t.v. shows and the Archie comics.

9. Uncle Otis

Uncle Otis

Uses too many goddamn commas Member
    I also used to think that the golden rings Sonic has to collect were Spaghetti-O's. It didn't help that Spaghetti-O's was running a Sonic-themed promotion at the time.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Funnily enough, I've tried S2&K&K and S3&K&K - all they do is ignore the second S&K cart XD

11. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I used to think that Sonic The Comic was the right storyline. So, things like Angel Island / Floating Island and the story with the egg making Robotnik were true, and got confused with the games having different names. Also, the Mega Mack in Chemical Plant Zone :v:

I know now that it's the other way round, and didn't the 'Sonic Bible' have a similar Robotnik creation?

12. I thought Knuckles was a girl.

13. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    My young brother of 8 keeps thinking tails is a girl, don't blame him really he looks like one sprite wise in sonic 2 which he plays often. I correct him most of the time but he still says "she" but to be fair he has hard learning difficulties.

14. I was the same way then, but I already knew Tails was a guy.

Still,it is tails.....

15. All this talk about Tails reminded me of one. When I was little I used to 2-player co-op with my dad, and on Sky Chase Zone I always, ALWAYS thought that I, player 2, was controlling the plane. It made me feel less useless for the next level or so (we never beat the WFZ boss back then)

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I always thought that CNZ badnik crawl was some sort of a duck thing, with it's beak being it's claw on the other hand. I also had no idea wtf the newtron thing was in Sonic 1. The shadow on it confused me.

17. dsrb

dsrb

<a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Sega_of_America_-_Sonic_Origin_Story_Documents_(Sonic_Bible)" target="_blank">http://info.sonicretro.org/Sega_of_America...s_(Sonic_Bible)</a>

Although after a glance at the first two pages, I'd count that particular document as good supporting evidence for those who say that Sonic shouldn't have a back story.

It also mentions something that always irks me: Sonic's appreciation of fast food (e.g. chili dogs). Why would a hedgehog, who spent much of his early career freeing cute little animals, be so fond of eating, erm, dead cute little animals? Ah, of course: People, especially kids, aren't supposed to make that connection. :rolleyes: [/soapbox]

18. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Because, and you may want to brace yourself for this shocking revelation, hedgehogs have carnivorous tendencies

Also acceptable would be "because he's a cartoon character, you should really find more important things to get wound up about" and you never know, he could be chowing down on veggie chilli if you want him to be a bean-eating greenie so very badly

19. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    That platform in CNZ is balloons? News to me, thought it was lava. And I thought I could fight Metal Tails too, and that that badnik was a Sonic clone. I also thought, I think due to my dad, that echidna was a fictional species. As for the Hidden Palace music, I don't recall what I thought about that music. To this day there's a track in another game, Theme Park, that sounded sort of similar and I've yet to figure out which scene/ride it was for.

I used to call shields "Bwom" based on the sound they make. Playing with my sister, "Danny, get the bwom!" I also used to think "Robotnik" was a general term describing the boss of the level. I had to beat the robotnik to get to the next zone. For a while I applied that term to other games, fighting the robotnik in Spyro, beating all the robotniks in Crash Bandicoot. I don't recall when I was corrected, or who told me.

And it's Hy-DRA-city. Hydro+Velocity. >:O I used to say Aquatic Run though :v:. And it took me a while to get the Sonic 3 level select working but I think I got it my 4th try or so due to dumb luck so that prevented me from giving up on it. I used the Sonic 2 -> Sonic 3 method more. To this day I remember the proper fuckup noise it made when you did it correctly, the way the level select music was warped. If the sound didn't screw up the right way you knew it didn't work.
    Basically you're just altering the ram and the emulators can handle that rather easy. Someone should add something to Gens(/gs) to let you do that, copy the ram over to a new rom when you open it. That'd be boss.
    A friend told me that if I finished every slot in Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) with every emerald that it would unlock Espio.

And I bought my copy of Sonic 3 used from Funcoland. It was the last one they had, the one in the console everyone played when they got there. It was in there in the store when I bought it, I watched them take it out, so I got to play my game before I bought it. There was one save/progress on there, in Carnival Night Zone. I guess they got stuck on the barrel too. I want to remember being in that barrel room in Funcoland but my memory isn't that clear.

Oh and the Christmas it came out I asked for "Sonic 3D Blast" for Game Gear because Game Gear was cool, I even cut out the JC Penny page and taped it to my door with it circled. But instead my parents got me the "Genesis version" Sonic 3D Blast for Genesis. I was upset. Little did I know...

I did that when I first heard her name, and since someone pointed it out, from that day I purposely try to pronounce it wrong whenever I can to this day.
    YES XD
    Yes.
    I played FF7 alot and my sister liked to watch. When we heard about a nuclear reactor on TV, my sister and I whipped our necks and stared at eachother, gasped, and bricks were shat.

20. dsrb

dsrb

I'm not wound up. I'm perfectly aware that there are an infinite number of infinitely more important things. I just stated my opinion that it seems illogical. I probably shouldn't have included the closing comment, but I wasn't really looking for an ethical debate, before anyone gets too excited about the opportunity to utilise such phrases as "bean-eating greenie" (must try harder, incidentally).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.