don't click here

Things in Sonic Games you misinterpreted when you were younger...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ollie, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I hate that f-ing barrel, I cannot imagine how many hours I spent jumping on the thing, because if you timed all your jumps right, you could make it bounce far enough down to escape it. I only learned that you just stand on it and press up/down in like the last couple of years. Most vile Sonic creation ever.

2. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    This is kind of embarrassing but when I was 4 I thought that the bridge that gets destroyed before you fall into Hydro City was a line of cookies...

3. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I used to think the rollers were some kind of Sonic robot, too. I mean, they're blue and red, they roll up, and they move really fast. It made sense.

I used to call Robotnik "Robotix". For some reason at 5 I couldn't say his name right.

Before getting Sonic 3, I thought Knuckles was an ape. To be fair, this is because a friend described him as such, perhaps confused because the name Knuckles suggested a knuckle-dragging gorilla. When I finally got the game, I was surprised he wasn't an ape, but actually some weird new animal I'd never heard of.

Worse, I somehow garbled the name of said animal to "encheeta". I was never able to find it in any encyclopaedias for this reason, and I was mystified. Eventually I got the bright idea to actually read the instructions and memorise the proper spelling, but even after that I pronounced it wrong until I heard Steve Irwin say it on TV.

I also used to think the ghosts in Sandopolis had pointy witch-noses until I saw the sprites close up on a computer monitor.

[​IMG]

On the TV, the low constrast makes their left arms almost disappear.

4. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    FUCK, that's an ARM?

5. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    I used to think Tails was a girl up until like Sonic Adventure.
    I used to think you have to have turbo controller to get past the barrel in Sonic 3. It worked, but you could get stuck in the wall sometimes. Turbo jump anyone? Set it to turbo and then hold the C button. You will need the bubble sheild to do it. Then I learned the proper way from a Sonic website years later.

6. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    Didn't used to know that the music to Sonic 1 wasn't normally slow. I thought it was meant to do that.

7. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I used to think that was Sonic's Uncle Chuck, but turned evil. :psyduck:

At the end of Sonic 3, I mistook the plummeting Death Egg for Robotnik, or "Dr. Robot" as I had called him.

8. xcliber

xcliber

I thought I had a defective game cartridge for 2 reasons:
    1.) As Tails (or Sonic alone), I couldn't get by the dreaded Carnival Night barrel because I thought it required 2 players. (I always had my little brother play as Tails and jump on it for me while I had Sonic waiting off to the side to spindash under it when it came back up). I spent hours searching CNZ Act 2 up and down as Tails looking for an alternate route, since Sonic games are full of them.

2.) Again as Tails, the glitch in Ice Cap act 1 that screwed up the vertical scrolling and killed you instantly.

It wasn't until I played the game on an emulator that I found out that it wasn't just my game cartridge that did it.

Another one is the Sonic 3 level select. I always thought (and sorta still do) that code was BS lies spread on cheat code sites because I, to this day, can not get it to work. (U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R after the Sega logo as Sonic is jumping onto the screen right?)
    I ended up using the alternate method of entering Sonic 2's level select, hightlighting EHZ Act1, and having someone hold the A button down while I carefully switched the cartride and pressed reset. I am, also to this day, baffled by how this code works (I have a vague idea, but perhaps someone could enlighten me).

Also, before I knew 3D Blasts level select, I accidentally found a way to glitch it into activating the level select:
    While at the main menu, carefully jar the right side of the cartridge loose (much like the S2 to S3 Level select) without fully removing it and then carefully pushing it back into place. Somehow this automatically put me on the Level Select screen for 3D Blast. At the time, I thought I had discovered a hidden part of the game that no one else in the world (but the developers) knew about because I was completely unaware of BARACUDA.

In the same way as the "S2 -> S3" level select, I found ways to unlock new levels in Blue Sheres by switching out top cartride from S&K and replacing it with games that wouldn't normally work, like the EA Sports titles like Madden '96 and other EA games like Road Rash which had their own oddly shaped cartridges. For whatever reason, these EA carts were otherwise ignored by the S&K cart when starting the Genesis, so I felt like I beat the system by forcing them to work.

9. Lurker

Lurker

sleep Member
    I used to think the spindash was called Sonic Super. Infact I still call it Sonic Super :P

edit: just testing something

10. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    [​IMG]
    I simply never got what these were in the first place. They went so fucking fast.

Also, I used to call Robotnik "Pants-guy" translated literally. Never actually had the instruction book.

11. Phithpleis

Phithpleis

Nein Member
    Your location
    Current Project
    Yes, I also used to think that that rolling robot was a Sonic Clone, and that Carnival Night platform had lava. I also used to think that the Sonic 2 robot Coconuts looked similar to Knuckles. o_O

12. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I loved it at the time, it was pretty impressive! Though I though Knuckles and Tails just kinda stole your rings, so I didn't go back to give them more.
    Also at first I thought Knuckles was a girl, I think I thought that right up until I got my first Sonic Comic, too, but I would've been like 5 years old at the time.

13. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Ditto, I always used to call it that... that is, until I watched Sonic X <.< >.>

Also, when I was little - since I had the Master System version of Sonic 1 before the MD/GEN - I always used to think the MS version came out first, because it had poorer graphics than the MD/GEN version.

Oh yeah, and I *think* I used to call Knux "Knuckles the Eh-chid-na" at some point, lol

I thought it was U, U, D, D, U, U, U, U? - Which to this day I have never. ever. got it to work - no matter now many times I've pressed the reset button and tried again.

14. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    Same here. :psyduck:

That was pretty much the only thing I misinterpreted, because I didn't bother to think about stuff in video games, geko.

15. Not something I misunderstood in the games, but I used to think all the Sonic universes were in one universe...

16. I have a really odd memory of playing an isometric version of Mushroom Hill Zone back when I was give years old. I remember it clearly being on a S&K cartridge too and not a 3D Blast cart. So I'm not sure how my first memory of S&K can be so twisted... I made a mockup screenshot to show you what I remember.

[​IMG]
    Endless bouncing...

17. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    It didn't make much sense, eh?

18. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    That is a hard code. I first got it to work when I was 19. I know about the code since I was like 10. But had the game since I was 7. I usually mess up the level select code from going to fast, but a couple of times I got it just right. It's easy to panic and mess up from my experince. I had more luck getting to work on the official 3 button controllers from SEGA then other d-pads, so it's something you might want to try.

19. xcliber

xcliber

I haven't tried in a while so I was just going off (bad) memory. Might give it a shot later. You can't do the old method on an emulator.

20. Basically, you've all said the things I can remember. Roller is Metal Sonic, Carnival Night level (on that note, regarding a post on the first page, I STILL think that's a bad level), Tails would fight Silver Tails at the end of Sonic 2...
    I thought that during the events of, say, Sonic 3D (the last game before the name change as far as I was concerned) Robotnik died. Then some boso named Eggman comes along and takes his place. SA2 didn't help, because I then thought that Dr. Gerald was Robotnik from the earlier games, and Eggman was his grandchild.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.