don't click here

Things in Sonic Games you misinterpreted when you were younger...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ollie, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Hydrocity? It's pronounced hydro city. :P

Thread relevant: I used to think/hope there was a way to save changes to levels made in debug.

2. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    When I was a little kid, Whenever I saw the end of level signpost in Sonic 1, I thought that Sonic was wearing lipstick for some reason.

3. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    On a similar note, "Knuckles Chow-ticks".

4. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Speaking of the signpost, that reminds me!

First time I played Sonic in 1991, I thought that the game was sponsored by Pringles or something, and it was the Pringles dude on the signpost before you flipped it.

5. Kilometers Prower

Kilometers Prower

no mater wot medoner ses Oldbie
    USA
    Fuck, I'm tired. Whoops. Hydro-city it is. :P

6. Count me in the "lava platforms in CNZ" and "evil Sonic clone" groups.

There's also a very stupid thing that happened one of the first times I met GHZ's boss (I wasn't used to the concept of bosses, because I owned an Atari 2600 - where games didn't have bosses - before my Genesis): I thought the chain that holded the ball was made of rings, so I kept trying to collect them in hopes that it would make Robotnik lose his form of attack.

Another stupid thing I though about the first boss happened the first time someone at my home defeated it. I wasn't in the room when it happened, so I only got there in time to see the animal prison exploding and the animals coming out, so I assumed the prison was actually the Egg Mobile that had fallen to the ground and exploded.

Heh, by the time Knuckles showed up I was able to pronounce his name correctly. But when Sonic 2 came out I surely called Tails "Tah-eels", for a long time.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Here is your reason.

8. Quarterman

Quarterman

Okay..that was certainly an odd thread. But back to the topic, I used to think that 3D blast was a good game. /burn

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.

It is.

I just remembered another! This thread is so nostalgic for me.

Anyways, I used to wonder why the animals from the end-of-zone capsule went in two directions on the Megadrive version; on the Master System, they'd go backward into the level Sonic just cleared. However, in the 16-bit version half of them would go the direction Sonic just went to (as I thought) get captured all over again. Silly fools.

WHY CAN'T I BE TEN AGAIN? IT ROCKED.

10. ProfessorZolo

ProfessorZolo

Well... Not something that I misinterpreted, but rather my cousin-

He used to think (and still does) that Knuckles is a girl. Probably because of his hair? He also calls him "Knackulls". And no, that isn't because he has an accent or anything. Seriously. It was so funny going through SONIC '06 with him...

11. At one point I thought that Sonic 2's Hidden Palace Zone was accessable only when you played it as Knuckles and got all Chaos Emeralds.

Me and a friend finished it to find out. As you can imagine, we were somewhat disappointed with the outcome.

Oh and I also thought those platforms in Carnival Night was some sorta messed up jelly/trifle thing.

12. Before Sonic Adventure came out, I remember seeing a large poster thing for it and the Dreamcast in Toys R Us. It was the first time I'd seen the new design of Sonic, and he looked kind of evil to me, with the jagged teeth and change of eye color.

Maybe that's why I don't care for the new(ish) design. Hm.

13. Quarterman

Quarterman

When I was around ten, I thought that my copy of Sonic 3 was busted because I couldn't pass the barrel puzzle. The sad thing is, it's so obvious now.

14. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I'm sure those were the days.

When I was a wee-lad (Around the time I got Sonic 2 and a Genesis on my 5th/6th birthday),
    • I used to think Sonic and Tails were simply siblings.
    • I thought the Archie comics were part of the game storyline, I was a big fan of the comics at the time.
    • Speaking of Eggman, I knew he sort of looked like Santa Claus. I found out later that that was intentional.
    • I used to pronounced Sky Sanctuary as "Sky Center" or "Sky Sanitary" or something like that.
    • I used to think Robotnik was really Robotnik.*

+ - *Not that I already knew his original name was Eggman all this time.  

15. *I always thought you had to jump up and down on the evil barrel on Carnival Night 2. (everyone here is with me on this one)
    *I wasn't sure whether to say "Hydrocity" or "Hydro-city"
    *I thought that Gigopolis was pronounced "Gigaopolis"

16. MimSayne

MimSayne

Back when I was 8, I was bored so I went to Sonic 2's sound test and stumbled upon the Hidden Palace music. I started crying because I thought that if I failed to get all the emeralds, Sonic would die in the Death Egg explosion. I guess the main reason I believed it so much was because I never beat the game without having them all.

17. Forgot about that one. I remember trying to tie together Archie, SatAM, and Adventures of Sonic all in one. It made no. sense.

Kind of obvious now but still...

18. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Not a misinterpretation, but I really wish I could go back in time to a place before I played Lava Reef Zone, or forget about Lava Reef Zone.

The first time I heard the music for that Zone... daaaamn. I think it was the first song in a video game that I recognized because of how good it sounded.

19. Malgra

Malgra

Studium Member
    I can remember seeing an advert for S&K at about the time the game came out, and there was this one clip of Sonic morphing into Knuckles and then back again during gameplay. Being a kid, I misinterpreted this as being able to morph/switch characters during the game and my mind was blown.

Once I had the game I wasted hours trying to get Sonic to morph into Knuckles and vice-versa before I realised you actually couldn't. I was devastated haha :(

20. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    Wanna hear a really dumb misinterpretation?

Back when I was getting back into the Sonic series (having only played Spinball from 5-6 years ago, mind you), I had first thought Sonic Advance was Sonic 1 remade for the GBA, further confirmed to me when I saw that the first level was called Neo Green Hill Zone. =P

I would later discover Sonic 1 three years after having played Advance, and learn that they were not the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.