don't click here

Badniks & Bosses Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wait a moment, are you still taking the sprite as reference instead of the artwork?
    [​IMG]

The shapes here can close to make a spherical form. It's just a matter of making a circle and cutting it above the middle.

2. synchronizer

synchronizer

Guys. I have a different take on it, it's hard to explain, but I'll try to make a quick mock-up or something... Perhaps the enemy's cap actually expands when it is closed

3. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    While you make that mockup, I'll post another edit on the cap size.

[​IMG]

More circular, but bigger hat size.

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    [​IMG]

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

almost done. Now how do I export an animation from Flash CS3 as an animated GIF?

6. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    File - Export - Export Movie. Then select Animated GIF for the format.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    But that's... not a circle. =|

8. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    I said "More circular", not "Now circular". I'm still working on it.

9. synchronizer

synchronizer

So let's see if the Sonic Retro uploader works... It did. Click on the thumbnail to see the animation. Maybe it could be combined with the other interpretations.

Attached Files:

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Widow badnik?

11. synchronizer

synchronizer

I'm not really sure if it would apply with this badnik, but I like the window concept. Also, in retrospect, I think it would have made more sense if the window expanded from the bottom, and not the top.

12. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    It seems like you should also make a spinning sort of motion on that grey nob in the middle of him. It would be neat to see some sort of external correlation between the window effect and a know or something to make it move.

13. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Man guys, I sketched this up for a reason. Sure it's more based on ICEknight's old avatar than the official art, but I think it works better than what's been shown so far.

14. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Okay ICEknight, here's your sphere.

[​IMG]

Gambit: Sorry, I'll get a base up based on your sketch.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Emphasis in "above the middle", as seen in the artwork.

16. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    God damnit... I hate myself now for not realizing sooner. Sorry ICEknight.

[​IMG]

17. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    I don't really think that the black shell around the Nebula is supposed to be so spherical.

This is quick and not very scientific, I didn't account much for perspective, but this is the shape the shell is in if you take the outline of the parts from the art and fill them in.

[​IMG]

Now, they could be adjusted to fit together better, but I don't think they make a sphere when they're joined. It reminds me more of a bowl with a rounded lid.

18. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    So...I don't suppose any official art was ever found of any of the boss machines?

Well, aside from the Americanized Drill Eggman on the wiki, but it's absurdly off-model in relation to the game.

19. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    In the link you posted, the specular from the "New" was awesome. Take that style reflection and put it on your newest effort and you will have something to be reckoned with.

20. zemulii

zemulii

Okay I'm sorry to have to join in with the already huge amount of suggestions, but I think Nebula will be a challenge. Just because he's so sort of vague and mysterious... :). I do think that once the proportions are right, it'll be mostly smooth sailing.

Going by what ICEknight said about the sphere, and looking at the official art... this is a possibility I came up with:

[​IMG]

Well... kind of anyway. Emphasizing the yellow bits... it looks in the official art like they poke outwards a bit at the bottom (looking a second time though, I'm not totally sure - it does on one side, but not the other) and then match on the top (red lines). And when done like this, then you can actually get a circle shape with the black area (blue lines). So all you have to do is make a black circle, cut it at the right point, and then add the yellow bits.

Just a (yet another) possibility!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.