don't click here

Two cartridge slots

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Bibin, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    I just thought you might all find this interesting - while working on making my Genesis 3 as small as possible for integration into a handheld unit, I decided that instead of desoldering and relocating the cartridge slot it has built in, I would simply solder on another and cover up the original.

I realized that I had created redundant slots. I didn't expect anything to work on it with both slots filled, but lo and behold...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mixing different games produced crackling sounds from the genesis itself (not audio output) so I promptly stopped experimenting with that.

What would be fun is putting in two copies of Sonic 2, with one being REV00 and one being REV01 and observe what happens...

2. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    What you need to do is get a Retro gen, and put that in the handheld. Then, when you "test" some stuff out at the shops, you can rip it for us.

Srsly, that is neat. Try running a PAL Sonic 2 at the same time as an NTSC Sonic 2. And Sonic 3 vs. Sonic 3 & K. AND maybe A 32x on one, wait. It's a model 3.

3. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Wow Bibin you are so much smarter than me 0_0

very cool pics!

4. Bibin

Bibin

New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    You can make 32x run on a Genesis 3, it's apparently a simple mod.

Nah, it's a simple mod really, I did this when I was 12 and noticed the N64 expansion port just led right to the cart slot :P

I wanna learn how to do stuff that qualifies as "tech member" :P

5. Alan

Alan

You could use logic gates or even something like a 74LS90 link it with the reset line and the !CE lines on the cartridges. So you can keep one connected to the MD and other kept high. This should put all the other pins on the cartridge to high-z and wont effect the running stuff. Then toggle carts with the reset button.

6. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    You should use thinner wires.... those thick ones will cause you trouble later on.

And Alan gave a nice idea, but I know what you're working on so you'll not benefit from this.

And in MD its more advisable to use HC/AC/HCT/ACT stuff since things are using CMOS levels.

7. Bibin

Bibin

New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Would this be easily done without the reset line, but rather a discrete switch? The reset button is on a part of the motherboard I chopped off long ago...

8. Alan

Alan

> Would this be easily done without the reset line, but rather a discrete switch?

Yes, anything that can toggle. Although reset button would have been ideal as it also resets the MD ready to execute again. I think there is a soft reset line on the cartridge anyway.

9. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    On Genny3 those fun lines are mostly removed form cartslot.....

10. Bibin

Bibin

New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    TmEE you are the best to ask for this; what would I have to solder to add back SMS compatibility?

11. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    That model you got has no known SMS compatibility fix, and I don't have access to that model anymore to do any tests either...

12. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Plug in rocket knight adventures and castlevania bloodlines, and see if you can use sparkster to take on dracula.