don't click here

Sonic Retro: Hackers of...Leapster?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    So, I just go into the .tex files with a hex editor, delete the first 36 bytes, and then drag the file onto Zpipe? I'm probably doing it wrong, I can't get Zpipe to work.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Judging by the brick-like pattern in the color used for the alpha channel (and the sprites themselves), I'd say there's a big chance that the current decompression algorithm is not working as it should...

3. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    No. You have to use a command line to run zpipe, you can't drag 'n drop this one.

4. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Chrome is google's browser.

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    [​IMG]

Yes it is. And it says, correctly, that "sucussfully" is spelt incorrectly.

6. Yeah, you have to use:

Code (Text):
    1. zpipe.exe -d < input.z > output.raw
    You can either use the command prompt or type that into a batch file (a file with a ".bat" extension) and double click it. It helps to have everything in the same folder, so that you don't have to type long paths.

7. xdaniel

xdaniel

[​IMG]

Code (Text):
    1. The LHIC - Leaping Hedgehog Image Converter
    2. By the 'Hackers of Leapster'
    4. Build Mar 18 2010 14:46:17
    6. Converting: hit001.tex
    7. Dimensions 64 x 64, inflated size 0x1200
    9. Converting palette... done, image starting at 0x0200
    10. Converting image... done
    11. Writing PNG file... done, wrote to file hit001.tex.png
    http://magicstone.de/dzd/random/LHIC_v01.rar

Usage: LHIC <.tex file> <.tex file> (etc)

Here's hoping this works for everyone and with as many .tex files as possible - I honestly haven't tried that many yet.

8. Glaber

Glaber

Ah, but does it give a suggestion for the correct spelling? That's why I complain.

*On topic* Any idea what's causing the extra lines that are a different shade?

9. I doubt it's some mistake in the decompression, because the palette matches the indexed pixels perfectly. I have no idea of what a "Leapster" is, if it connects to the TV or if it has it's own screen, but either way those lines/dots should be too subtle to be noticed, so I guess the images are just like that. Maybe the software they used to make/convert the images added some dithering to compensate for the fact that only 4 bits are used for each color component.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Those blue parts are supposed to be the alpha channel, so it should definately be just one plain color.

11. Glaber

Glaber

Leapster is a handheld edutainment system. I see this thing in Meijer and Toys R Us near the preschool section.
    You can find out what it is with a simple google search.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=leapster

12. Unless the alpha is specified in the remaining bits of each palette entry, in which case several colors could be transparent.

13. xdaniel

xdaniel

14. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Hmmm, there appears to be a variation of the .TEX format here. Files with the .TEXS extension are what I'd call TEX Sets, and are just a bunch of .TEX images clumped together in a single binary stream. After the first image in the set ends, the next one begins. There doesn't seem to be any way of showing how many images are stored in a set, however. But it should be easy to brute force, just find where the current image ends and directly after it is the header of the next image, and as long as you didn't reach the EOF, keep going.

Maybe you can add .TEXS support to your tool, as all the tilesets are stored in this format.

EDIT: The tool seems to be choking on some .TEX files in the LevelObjects directory. For example, AnimStarPostIdle.tex

15. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    [​IMG]

Realtime ASSociates

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Yes - successfully, stressfully, successful, stressfulness.

Anyway, some of these are really good finds, and I'm keeping eyes peeled for a sprite sheet. This is some good stuff!

17. xdaniel

xdaniel

http://magicstone.de/dzd/random/LHIC_v03.rar

Now supporting TEX Sets, among other things.

One thing I need is feedback about any file that fails with a "failed to convert palette" message - for those, I need the filename and the "type" value printed out in the file informations, so I can look into their palette and image formats.

18. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    PM me a street address/p.o. box

19. Glaber

Glaber

I need a new dictionary file then.

20. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Okay, I've ripped most of the Sonic sprites, except for the first frame of the thumbs-up motion and a spinning frame. For some reason, LHIC doesn't like those particular frames. I could make a spritesheet, but I don't want to until I have all of the sprites. You see, the whole "appeal" of this Didj thing is that you can customize the game by earning points of some kind. You earn the points as you play, and then you can hook up the system to the computer and download custom animations for Sonic off the Didj website. This is where we'll find all sorts of weird, wonderful stuff. If you've ever wanted sprites of Sonic moonwalking or yo-yoing, that's where they'll be. Our work's not done yet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.