don't click here

Badniks & Bosses Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    It's looking very good Gambit. But those trees look lame against the uber grass.

2. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    All the objects and trees and stuff are still open for changes, so I wouldn't expect to see everything there later. Things might be replaced entirely or just edited. Depends on how stuff goes.

3. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    So, what's your verdict on MaximusDM's tree?

for reference.

4. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Just throwing this out there as a possibility. It should be animate-able.

Black bg/no bg
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Whoa, I didn't even know that was my tree I wasn't paying attention to it, you just snuck that in.
    There is something going on with the shading of my tree with those lines under the middle points. I think it would be best if I rendered then separately. Either that or cover up those lines in photoshop and fix the shadows on the back points. It would need to be rendered anyway since its missing the top.

Besides that which I don't even consider nit picking; I think it blends flawlessly with the artwork. The fireballs not so much.

6. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting

IMO the lines give it an interesting character. I would leave them, as they are details not unlike the swirl or whatever in the see-saw.

7. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    I tried animating it in a more ball-esque form, although I can't think of a decent way to loop it properly :|

[​IMG]

I ended up rendering ~140 frames, but for the sake of a small PNG, I threw in 26 or so. Should I bother trying to fix it up more, or is this still not the style to go for? Too realistic, etc.

Oh, and Gambit, that mockup looks awesome, thanks for throwing it together!

8. I think that an official position needs to be stated on the style of elements, meaning fire, water, lava, whathaveyou... Because if the fireballs are going to be realistic, then so must the lava and probably waterfalls, etc. Again, I'd prefer a more toon-ish look, but regardless we need to have this determined because each should influence the other...

9. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I think we can do better than his and Test-Object's trees, actually. Overall the bits I like the most from each is the bark from Maximus' tree and the blue base from Test's tree. So I guess the part that I'm just not satisfied with is the top portion of them.

No problem, well, it did kinda piss me off since it took three hours for some reason, but still. Figured you guys needed something to use. :P Just wait until you see some of my bigger ones for Emerald Hill.

Certainly they will. Considering that everything else is toony we will most likely go with a cartoony fire style as well. It's just a matter of figuring out what we want it to look like and how we want it to animate etc. Though I could see us potentially going with something that's like a combination of cartoon and realism.

10. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    The bark on the mockup is not mine; I thought you cut out my trunk and compiled them?

11. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I don't know about you guys, but I quite like this version of the badnik:

Thanks goes to Gambit and Cerulean Nights (as well as the one who did the fireball - sorry)

The colours - especially - really fit well with the environment here:
    [​IMG]

12. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    [​IMG]

I think the fireballs still look odd. I think they need to be made smaller as they just seem out of proportion to the badnik. The colour need to be the same shade or red as the original. While I think the fireball shape should be made to look like the original. I think if the other alterations are done, then it might look quite good or maybe better than the original.

13. Endgame

Endgame

Smaller it is, then.

I tried making them the same shape as the original, but without the proper tools they just look horrible and squashed:

I made it a jpg to save loading times - I can leave them as pngs if you want?
    [​IMG]

I've just thought of a neat idea: How about since these fireballs emit light, how about let the light from the fireballs glow onto the badnik's head - only slightly, of course - and as the balls are going round, so does the light, until he fires them at Sonic, and then he's the usual red colour?

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    I think a little smaller than that and also could you do a different colour, more to the shade of red of the original.

15. Endgame

Endgame

*edit*

Done & comparison - still not too happy with it myself TBH:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    As good as they might look in still pics, we still don't have an animated version as with the other fireballs... So we can't really compare just yet.

Also, if it's gonna take much more time to finish and it won't end up looking as smoothly animated, I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Don't ya think it's better? I think it's looking very good and is get there. I agree with ICEknight. Really need to see it animated.

By the way a bit off topic. Can someone do me some titlecards of HTZ, MCZ, DEZ and one saying Boss Theme for me please if that's ok. Going to upload some of my remakes on Youtube.

18. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    Much better, although I think it needs to be a little bit darker (As in more reds and oranges). Either way, you're definitely on the right track. :)

19. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Is there someone available that can properly animate a fireball very close to the one sss posted?

I still prefer the first fire sss posted, but I'd be sorta okay with this one if I could be animated well.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    You know, this is honestly the first shot of this badnik with fireballs that I actually think look like the original sprites. =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.