don't click here

How Sega All But Ruined Tails

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Turbo-Tails, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doppelgengar

Doppelgengar

The second they confined Tails to a mech, he was done. As far as his voice goes, I think his best one was his Adventure series voice, followed by his AoStH voice. They second he started talking like an infant, I lost all hope for the little guy. He KINDA redeemed himself with his current voice, but I am still not a fan. Give him a REAL voice, put the techy stuff on the back burner and go back to what made him cool in the first place. Following Sonic around and flying.

2. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Honestly, the only renditions of Tails that I've just completely not liked personality-wise are the ones from Sonic Heroes and Shadow/2006/Unleashed. Every other time he's been pretty acceptable to me.

Now, what they need to do for Tails is start reincorporating him into the games as a playable character without some ridiculous concept-screw like making him play during segments of Sonics game or throwing him in a robot or something. They also need to reestablish his speed as being on par with Sonic and Knuckles for gameplay purposes. I don't really like the way that whenever they've featured Tails, all they've done with him is pollute the basic game (Sonic Adventure), provide a mirror to some other guy (Sonic Adventure 2), or interrupt things (Sonic 2006).

And by the way, it crushes me that Tails hasn't really been playable in like... the last five games.

3. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    I know I'm likely to get lynched for this, but I think I'm pretty much the only person who prefers William Corkery's rendition of Tails over all others. Lainie Fraiser does come a very close second though...

Yerp... Heroes and OVA > other Tails voices... at least in my opinion.

4. Turbo-Tails

Turbo-Tails

Yea, a lot of us are pretty much on the same page with you dimension. And the speed, I further agree because its just so true. I can pretty much only experience to true awesomeness of tails in a Sonic 2 Hack unfortunately. Apparently, though its not stated as a feature, they managed to almost perfectly sync tails with sonic, and keep him on real par. It felt so real, like they were working together. IN the original, I will admit he fell back almost every 5 seconds. When if given the chance, reaching full speed with tails is pretty much just as fast with sonic and knuckles, the only problem I think caused him to fall back all the time was acceleration. Took longer for tails to reach full speed, where as sonic could reach full speed rather quickly. So yea I guess thats where they might have screwed up.

BTW, Dem, this is off topic but are you the head of sonic Nexus, if so I would like to congratulate you, everything is super amazingly mind flowingly great, and I've only played the first level (as part of the demo). And reading about the zone ideas and names makes me think that wow its gonna be greater then it already is.

5. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    I always thought it was just because Tails had that delay on his input making it easy to leave him behind if you were fast enough to clear an area before his delay was up. I didn't think there was any statistical difference in the way they moved in Sonic 2. I know Tails did have a smaller collision box while standing... which is obvious when fighting metal Sonic and spindashing.

6. tailsgirl

tailsgirl

I agree with what a lot of you guys are are saying. Tails has always been my favorite character and I adored him since Sonic 2. I feel that Sega could have done a lot better with his character as far as personality and his relationship with Sonic and the others. Not only that but the fact that he hasn't been playable as himself really in awhile has saddened me. I always go back to SA to play him again. Its a shame that such a cute character is becoming the underdog while horrible characters steal the spotlight that was rightfully his. I thought the third season of Sonic X was great for Tails' character. You really felt his pain and understood his feelings. Though the voice acting was mediocre, that did not take away from his amazing role in the series. I will always love Tails even if he was completely and utterly destroyed because I will remember how he was in the past.

7. The way I see it, tails was ruined by sega's implied desire to take him out of the action, and make him the butt of many fan jokes; more so now than ever. Tails was fun to play as in adventure, and the advance games (to many the best), but in sonic adventure 2, for some unknown reason, sega decided to take away his abilities that he learned from sonics(spin-dashing, spin-jumping, ect.) and made his sole purpoise in sonic games simply to exist, and build useless shit. When he IS playable in console sonic games, he runs slow as f**k, and throws fake rings as his only attack. For awhile, the sonic advance series allowed tails fans to play as the two-tailed fox with all of his abilities intact, and his traditional role as sonic's sidekick, who, either assists sonic in combat, or independently handles enemies on his own. Beginning in sonic rush, however, tails has no purpoise in sonic games other than to either pester players with his perhaps-worse-than-griffith voice atress, or build and show off meaningless gadgets that don't really don't serve any true purpoise. He still can, however, fly sonic's old tornado plane wich-- prior to unleashed, where he called it HIS tornado-1 ( a blatant sign that the current sonic team has no idea wtf they're doing with sonic games and they're storylines; the tornado was sonic's, the tornado 2 may have either been an update, or a remake belonging to tails.)-- hasn't been playable in since sonic advance 3, during special stages where it wasn't being piloted by ANYBODY

8. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    He only ran slow in Sonic 06. However, in the Team Amigo DLC they made him fast again.

9. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Are you sure? I don't recall him speeding up in any of his DLC missions.

10. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHOkpIpwpUk
    Skip to 3:00

I'm pretty sure he's now moving at roughly around the same speed as Sonic and Shadow.

11. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Hm. Maybe it's because there aren't speed boosts everywhere like in Sonic and Shadow's stages to trick me into thinking it. :P

12. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    Bullet Station Level:
    "WE'RE NOT GONNA MAKE IT! WE'RE NOT GONNA MAKE IT! WE'RE NOT GONNA MAKE IT!"

Worst and most annoying sounding Tails line ever.

13. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Truthfully I didn't think the third season did all that much for him, it seemed like an attempt to develop from his fixer sue role, the problem was his personality was still kinda generic and flawless. Sure it was an emotional plot but he didn't really handle it in a really unique manner, any character can react with sadness or anger, it's more the unique way they convey it. There is a big difference between say, Sonic angry and Knuckles angry or Amy happy and Shadow 'happy'. Tails' no matter what he goes through however is always kinda dull and everyman-ish.

That and I thought the finale was ridiculously macabre and over the top. I can't take a cartoon fox having a disturbingly realistic mental breakdown like that seriously.

14. Super Rockman

Super Rockman

At least it was disturbingly realistic...?

15. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

It's not even disturbingly realistic. It's just typical anime cheese with the character slamming their fist in anger while he's crying as he tilts his head up. I've seen that at least a dozen times watching anime in general, though the actual action has been done with different emotions in other shows.

16. Super Rockman

Super Rockman

That whole 'relationship' was trash anyway. Like a fair amount of Sonic X.

17. Monochrome

Monochrome

United Kingdom
    Colour Sonic hacks
    He started as, as was said, badass in every aspect. In my opinion, he was the brains behind Sonic in most adventures. Look at Sonic and Knuckles by comparison- average IQ, and dumbass. Now, how do we balance it out? With someone of high intelligence, of course. But in this modern world, intelligence is frowned upon, and what with the rise of political correctness and the already-overpopulated Sonic cast list, they had to make one of them as gay as possible. And guess who they chose. I find that, not only is Tails being battered into submission over sexuality (and I believe wholeheartedly that he and Amy would make the ideal couple, considering the age difference and attitudes), but being slowly killed off. Sonic is still going strong in games that get worse and worse, and some characters make cameos here and there. But what about Tails? He's being turned into a transsexual damsel-in-distress- I mean, have you SEEN that cutscene in Unleashed (and in Secret Rings, come to think of it) where he's surrounded by monsters and is HELPLESS?! What happened to the days where he could take out a row of tall grass with a napalm bomb if he wanted? FFS, they're just, in essence, stripping him of any reason to have fans, beating him with rotten tomatoes and waiting for him to die.

He was never the annoying sidekick to me. Yes, he was an admirer of Sonic. Weren't we all at one stage? (Well, no, strictly speaking, but he is by far the most human of the characters, down to the being bullied by all for a high IQ and sexuality against the 'norm' despite there is no solid proof for him being of said preference.) But what gets me most is how people just judge, thanks to SEGA's buildup of imagery and vocal choices that he is gay, EVEN THOUGH HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE 8 YEARS OLD!!!

SEGA, Sonic Team...turn this around.

18. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Um... you can be gay at 8 years old (hint: it starts at birth). Also, there's nothing wrong with Tails being gay, unless you think there's something wrong with being gay in general.

19. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    1. Homossexuality is something that starts at birth.

2. There is nothing wrong with it.

3. In Sonic the Comic, Tails was written as gay.

Anyways, IMO Tails should behave somewhat like Sonic in SatAM- trying too hard to be cool. While Sonic is incredibly arrogant and just cringes at Tails (and when Tails goes LETS DO IT TO IT Sonic just punches him)

20. xcliber

xcliber

Which comic are we talking about? I've never heard of anything "official" making Tails gay. I've read up to 200something of the Archie series, and he had 2 straight loves. Hell he was even married to Mina Mongoose in the 25 years later side series. In Sonic X we had the whole Cosmo thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.