don't click here

Sonic Classic Collection

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Eesh, that doesn't sound fantastic. How exactly are DSi games locked by region? I've ordered a New Zeeland version for my European DSi. I've got a Lite for back-up, but still...

2. Badnik

Badnik

Unless New Zealand flags their games as European, I think you're out of luck.
    But I would be happy if you could prove me wrong, I wanted that special edition set. It's possible that I got a bad cart.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Stilll, I have a Lite to use. And aren't Aus, NZ and Europe often treated the same? It'd really awesome if someone could clarify this for me.

EDIT: Game.es are selling the Special Edition now.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    If it's a regular DS game, it should run on any DS without issues, even if it's DSi enhanced - it's only the download games that are locked to a region. Also, New Zealand counts as the PAL region - sounds to me like you got a duff cart =/

5. Badnik

Badnik

The carts are locked out, too. I went back to the game store and they let me borrow a US DSi to check, and it boots up just fine. I was going to get a US one eventually anyway, so no big deal. But a word of warning to anyone importing who only has a DSi.

6. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Not that one would expect it to work, but the ARM7 patch doesen't work. Spare me the technical details.

... Is this ever gonna get fixe'd? Why's this not booting up on the R4? Couldn't a ROM header change work (just yes or no please)

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

What's with the animation? (skip to 1:17) When Knuckles goes off one of those ramps in AIZ or hits a spring, he totally spazzes out, like when you hit B+C when you have debug activated. And yeah, I've seen that in two videos. Does that happen on the real cart or is it an emulator fault?

8. Badnik

Badnik

It doesn't happen on the cart.

Also, I can confirm that the real game is sluggish on a DS Lite. It's playable but it's hard not to notice.

9. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Somebody at GBATemp had this to say:

Assuming he's telling the truth and didn't imagine it, that answers that question.

10. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Must be an emulation issue, could be having a problem retrieving the rotational sprites (retrieving the incorrect sprites?) for the animation. Seems like something that could've been solved easily...

11. Kazo

Kazo

That only seems to happen when playing the Sonic Classic Collection ROM in a DS Emulator, On hardware that does not happen.

12. Nitpicks aside, at the very least the quality of the ports is adequate, and certainly better than a certain GBA Sonic Genesis port.

13. You get that exact result if you try porting S3K's art and mappings without updating the animation script...heh\

It does appear to have a different kind of screen scrolling—which I really like!

14. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Is it that unreasonable to demand better quality from an emulated collection than what is quite possibly the worst port of any game in modern history? :rolleyes:

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Personally I wish that they went the Kirby Superstar ultra route on this. Redrawn graphics that work with the DS, new really nice backgrounds, a bottom screen that DOES something (let's trying something here. Rather than having just nothing at the bottom of the screen, they could have moved the entire HUD to the bottom of the screen. They could have kept a Chaos Emerald counter down there, they could have added a feature like shield backup where sort of like in Super Mario World if you lose your shield you can put on another one you already collected.) Also we could have a completely new sprite set for Sonic that is uniform over all 3 games. We could even have new features like Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 1, or spindash and insta-shield in Sonic 1, or Tails flying in Sonic 2.

Fuck if they edited the games, Knuckles in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles alone could be absolutely unnecessary. Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, the way it's supposed to be, and you can play as all the characters in whatever game you want. And honestly, if they even used modern Sonic design for the sprites, I wouldn't even care as long as they looked nice.

16. Bostwick

Bostwick

They could've just mashed all three games together in succession s one big game and called it something like "Super Sonic the Hedgehog" indicating that it was the original trilogy beefed up.

17. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    XD. That clip video just struck me as hilarious. Gotta love when they literally spaz out.

Also btw, you can append something to a youtube URL to make it skip to a specific time. E.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgiE-hKuLb4#t=1m15s

Also before confusion sets in I propose we call the new ROM versions REVCC from now on.

18. Sonic Genesis on the GBA was 50 times as bad as this. Quite frankly, after that I questioned if Sega could ever do another compilation like this again.

I mean, there has to be -some- credit given when most of the "complaints" about the ports themselves that are valid (IE not emulation issues) are RIDICULOUSLY minor. "OH BAWWWWW A SOUND EFFECT DIDN'T PLAY AT THE RIGHT PITCH. WORST PORT EVER!"

I mean, seriously, most of the people complaining wouldn't have been happy with this unless it was a perfect replica of the game running on a specific revision of the Model 1 Genesis hardware with all the graphics redrawn for no particularly good reason, Michael Jackson remixes of every song and anime FMV cutscenes with Ryan Drummond returning as Sonic (without green eyes), anyway. No one here's gonna be happy with any "collection" unless it's either that, or Sega suddenly getting around to adding Chaotix, SegaSonic arcade, Tails and the Music Maker, Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld, Sonic Pocket Adventure,, The Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast, Waku Waku Sonikku Patooka, and every prototype ever.

So it's just nice to see that it isn't a complete fucking abomination.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Ah, so that's why SEGA doesn't bother with quality standards in Sonic games anymore. Whenever somebody points out the flaws, other people will jump in just to point out how nobody should care. =P

I would have supported this compilation had the emulation been at least as imperfect as in Gens. It would still have been a lazy piece of work, but it would have at least fulfilled the expectations of what it is.

20. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    =

[​IMG]

I don't need the game to be the second coming of Christ in order for me to be happy with it. All I ask is 1:1 pixels, perfect framerate and good sound and graphic accuracy. Genterprise did all of the above with Umihara Kawase, so why should I settle for less with Sega?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.