don't click here

Badniks & Bosses Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Whoa wait. I actually think the last example sigma2x posted would fit better than the previous one.

I've been sugesting to work on that one because it had the potential to fit that pseudo-realistic feel of the badniks, and it seems that it's becoming more and more fitting with each revision.

2. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Your right. His latest one is a lot better. If it animates as well as the first I may change my mind.

3. I have a still from an even newer version which should animated correctly.
    Its still simming at the moment.

[​IMG]

edit: the transparency is weirding out.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't know... I think the previous one looked both more accurate to the source and just a little better in colors and shape:
    =\

5. I think you're right, but I couldn't get it to animate properly :S

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Any chances of posting the animation you got from that version?

Even if it looks a bit awkward in its current state, perhaps it could be touched up with photoshop, or edited with whatever program you're using for these.

7. Sure, in fact I've just been tweaking it and now I'm re-simming so I'll post the new one soon.
    It's looking better to me also.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Okay then, can't wait. :)

9. Heres a tiny preview so far, can't render yet!

[​IMG]

10. heres the animation

[​IMG]

its better than the last one but still too fast and if I try to slow it down the shape of the flames changes dramatically and for some reason it goes all transparent and blocky.

Edit: also doesn't loop.

11. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I'm having a rather difficult time fathoming how that odd looking patch of fire will look better than these nice rich fireballs.

[​IMG]

I realize that it's too realistic, but still, I would prefer to have some fireballs based off this instead of that weird thing he just posted.

12. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    It's okay.It has grat potential for lava (which we also need). As a stand alone flame, not so much.

In regards to Gambit's post. I realize that my biggest quarrel with the older look is the ball coal or whatever it is in the middle of the flame. That is the part that looks too realistic and frankly I don't know what it is or why it's there.

13. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Quick comparison to the original - had to squash it to fit the original sprite:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think it'll look nicer with a longer flicker of flames.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Here's another mockup, next to the previous version:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The edges might look odd because I didn't have a pic with transparency to work with.

15. How about something like this?

[​IMG]
    Its a modified version of the one with the burning rock in the middle, this time without the rock!

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    If I can be honest for a moment, I really like this.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I prefer that one too - all it needs is a hue shift to make it a bit more red.

Though you also have to remember those graphics were originally recycled for use in the Hill Top Zone boss as well, hence their strange shape in comparison to the original artwork. Are they being recycled for this boss this time around too?

18. I concur. Perhaps a little palette photoshopping is warranted, but otherwise it works for me. Can it be animated to show the flame dragging when it's thrown?

19. If I may summarize...

[​IMG]

20. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    Of all the styles I have seen so far, the one that strikes me as most fitting for the art style of this game is this one:

[​IMG]

It would have to be tweaked, possibly adding a shorter and wider flame, but animated correctly has the potential to be a good candidate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.