don't click here

Sonic Freerunner

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Azookara, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Veitra

Veitra

great point (no sarcasm)
    at least we all agree here...
    as for a name of the game...

I am making a game right now...and I was going to use this title, but if this game has an awesome sense of speed, I'd say call it this...

Sonic the hedgehog - Lightspeed

or

Sonic the hedgehog - limit break

I dunno...

2. Bostwick

Bostwick

A lot of those titles sound like they emphasize "SPEEDSPEEDSPEED" which as far as I can tell is not the main focus of this project.

My suggestion is "Sonic the Hedgehog World" in reference to the museum mode from Sonic Jam (which the base engine heavily resembles) and the fact that a lot of 3D action-platformers tend to have "world" in their titles (Wario World, Digimon World, etc.).

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    You know, I thought about Sonic World too, and I was about to suggest it, but as I said I would like to know more information about the levels to pick a name which fits.
    But yes, at this point I second Sonic World.

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Sonic the Hedgehog World does sound nice.

But yes, stages will mostly be open, but pointing inthe general direction of forward. There will be tons to explore, and will have equal areas for just keeping flow by going fast, rolling, doing platforming and using parkour. Plus there will be Sonic World type stages as hubworlds anyways.

However I wouldn't want people to mix up this game with the Sonic Jam extra. :v: So I don't think Sonic World would fully work out.

And it's hard to give a Sonic game a good name that doesn't have something to do with speed in it. :p Keep them coming though, guys!

5. Bostwick

Bostwick

I doubt people would get it confused that easily if you keep the full title as "Sonic the Hedgehog World" rather than just "Sonic World".

The word "world" definitely fits if you're going for exploration and hubs, as it implies that you have a big world around you to frolic in.

I'd suggest "Sonic Land" but that sounds more like some sort of theme park or something. XD

6. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    Super Sonic The Hedgehog World 64.

Sonic World is too close to Sonic World Adventure. Sonic The Hedgehog World just sounds weird.

Call it Sonic Edge or something (Cause Mirror's Edge, get it? Ohohoho, I'm too clever.).

Also, that Tails model is adorable. Kind of like how every Tails model since Sonic Adventure hasn't been.

7. Bostwick

Bostwick

The title sounding weird makes sense if he's trying to go for an old-school vibe, since you know, Engrish (SegaSonic the Hedgehog). Plus a lot of the older Sonic titles actually did have "the Hedgehog" in their titles on the box (Sonic the Hedgehog CD, Sonic the Hedgehog Chaos, Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball).

All I can say is that "Sonic Edge" sounds like some sort of sequel to Sonic Unleashed. It's "EXTREEEEEME" in a bad way.

8. Vaiz

Vaiz

Internet.
    I was kidding. Though I still think World is too close to World adventure, I'd throw my vote in for Sonic Land.

9. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Sonic 64. :specialed:

I don't exactly wanna go for Sonic World also because the game also isn't 100% a classic styled game. There are many modern and new elements added to the game, just heavily inspired off the classics. Well, that and Sonic the Hedgehog World doesn't ring that well. The reason some like Mario World, Wario World, Digimon World etc. sounded ok was because it was made of four syllables, three of them being in the first word. Sonic only has two syllables, so really Sonic World just sounds.. Awkward.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I actually like the name Sonic Edge. Sonic World reminds me too much of Sonic Jam. Sonic Land sounds like some theme park. Also we don't have to include the "the hedgehog" part of the name either. Hell I don't think any of the modern games have even used the hedgehog in their titles, except Sonic 06 and Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Those 2 exceptions aside, I think the last time the hedgehog was used in a title for any Sonic game was Sonic the Hedgehog 3, or Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble.

11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I think I really like Sonic Edge. However, we should still wait until we get more names.

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Even then, over here it was just "Sonic 3", not "Sonic the Hedgehog 3". But yeah, Triple Trouble was the latest.

13. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Personally I'd just keep calling it Project Freerunner until a new name becomes obvious.

14. diplomacydog

diplomacydog

What did I just read? Member
    South Carolina
    No :(
    Sonic Sunrise

Its the old Sonic game styles in a new 3D game, thereby I though Sunrise would be a good name as it is the old Sonic styles of exploration and momentum rising in a 3D world.

Other titles I came up with were revolving around the similar theme, Sonic the Hedghog Sunrise, Sonic Sunset, Sonic 3D Sunrise

15. Jeztac

Jeztac

Sonic R-DX
    Did some more work on Tails with Shadow Explorer.
    [​IMG]
    The chest fur and the tails done by Shadow Explorer.

As for the name:
    Sonic the Hedgehog's Marvelous Free-Running Adventure Featuring Sonic.

16. A name huh? Heres one.

Sonic Freedom.

Free of 2D constraints. Free of crappy controls and level design. Free of crappy plots and characters.

Free of Limitations. Free of Barriers. Unlock your untapped potential. Be FREE, 2010.

17. About the xml thing, I just think it would be nice to leave the stages editable. All the updates you guys are making to the BlitzSonic engine are great and it would be nice to at least leave that part editable so that others may use the new features later on. I'm not asking for it to be open source, just the ability to add/edit stages.

Also, did I hear menu somewhere? What a coincidence, I just happened to be working on one.
    [​IMG]

18. Vaiz

Vaiz

Internet.

Dude. Dude. Why can't Sonic Team manage to make a Tails model look like that? That's awesome.

19. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Tails is looking really awesome. And those menu things are pretty epic. :3

but about it being where you add your own levels; wouldn't that make this just like most blitzsonic releases and practically just make the game an engine edit anyways? I mean, I get what you're saying, but if we leave it where people can make custom levels, I fear they won't have any interest to play the stages tha our team worked so hard to make just right. Sure, we could hand out level packs that work with PFR (somehow) but besides that probably not.

And holy crap RGamer your title grabbed me; probably thanks to that awesome description. I think that's gold if we make it Sonic the Hedgehog Freedom rather than just Sonic Freedom; it rolls off the tounge better. Do you guys agree? Because I think we have a winner.

20. Vaiz

Vaiz

Internet.
    I agree fully. As much as I secretly love my whole Sonic Edge name, it really was a joke when I suggested it. Something about Sonic Freedom just sounds... nice. Though yeah, maybe Sonic The Hedgehog Freedom because Sonic Freedom sounds like a band.