don't click here

Favourite Sonic Game Gear/Master System game?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by VB.NET, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    There is no real challenge, in my opinion.
    Sonic 1 was too long (I almost always got bored halfway through), Sonic 2 was too hard (I was less than 10, after all, and that UGZ boss wasn't the best thing ever, considering that I played it on GG), Sonic Chaos was too easy (I beat it at the first attempt the same day I bought it, literally, and I achieved the good ending the day after), Sonic Triple Trouble was awesome.

I stated multiple times that I easily consider Sonic Triple Trouble as my favorite Sonic game in general, tied with Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
    And that Sunset Park Act 3 music... has been making me smile in the last 16 years :]

Also, 3D special stages, in all their 160x144 glory :3

edit: oh, I almost forgot. Spinball sucked.

2. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Triple Trouble by far. I was looking at some level maps from it last night, and the level design is astounding. I forgot there were so many branching paths. I also enjoyed how it allowed you to turn Sonic into a ball in midair if you weren't already.

The game really seems to bring the classic series full circle by incorporating the level design of Sonic CD and the Super Peel Out.

If this was converted into a Genesis game, it would be a more faithful candidate for Sonic 4 than the official Sonic 4 appears to be. The only things missing from this game are Knuckles being playable, Tails following Sonic, and Super Sonic's availability.

3. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    Sonic and Tails 2/Triple Trouble's got great level design, and the bosses are heaps fun and creative. Sonic Drift 2 is also great for an 8-bit racing game, and let's not forget Tails' Adventures. Dammit, these games have better level designs than (most) modern Sonic games. ._.;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srtNm7e_nME Enjoy. owo

4. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Yeah, I have to pick Triple Trouble as well. It was the most polished and original of the main side-scrolling titles.

It had great zones, cool special stages, a new villain, Fang (who is like the Sonic series' Boba Fett - he's a bounty hunter with diehard fans, though he actually did very little), and the best physics out of all of them.

You've also gotta love the new roll-up in the air move, and the steerable snowboard.

It's just a shame the music didn't measure up. I guess you can't beat Yuzo or Naofumi.

Aside from Triple Trouble, I really enjoyed Tails Adventure. Back in the day when I was totally obsessed with Tails, I always wanted him to star in his own game, but when he finally did, it was on the Game Gear (which I didn't own). It was quite cool to finally get to play it on Gems Collection, and then on emulators. I appreciate it more today than I would have then - the slower paced Metroidvania gameplay would probably have bored me at the time, but nowadays I love that kind of thing.

5. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I beg to differ:
    *begs to differ*

6. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Land of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse.
    It has a Zelda-esque feel where you have to collect items and go back and forth between levels but the twist is that the levels themselves are platform levels. The music is great and the hidden powerups and items make it a solid game that I have only ever completed once.

...and I'm sure you meant Sonic SMS/GG game. Just that I only noticed after typing what I did that this thread was in the "General Sonic Discussion" and the title and opening message weren't specific to that.

Anyway, mine is probably Sonic Triple Trouble. The specific gimmicks available in that game are unique and clever (Snowboard/rocket shoes/spring monitors), the special stages were rather clever and Nack made them interesting to say the least. It felt complete and a solid Sonic game. Hell, even Metal Sonic showed up in 8-bit glory to try and take you down.

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Definitely Triple Trouble for me. It was the S3&K of the Master System version, with cutscenes that take you by surprise, and just general awesome.

8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I think Triple Trouble is good but the mechanics seemed too floaty. I think the original two games had the best physics. Also while some tunes were good others sounded like the musician was just randomly flicking notes.

Out of curiosity how complete a sprite sheet does Knux have in Triple Trouble? (I remember in an early preview that Knux was supposed to be playable).

9. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    Definatly Triple Trouble for being the GG equivilant of S3K, shame theres no Super Sonic though :( Also Sonic Drift 2 was really good for a racing game, I liked the hidden "boss" race at the end of the 3rd tier if you come first in all races (quite hard to do!)

10. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    Sorry for confusing some people by not specifying that I meant Sonic GG/MS games... Also, I should have asked which is your favourite and why to avoid short answers. If you want to talk about non-Sonic games, what the hell? Go ahead ^_^

11. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    :rolleyes: One good song does not a good soundtrack make.

(and it's technically a leftover from Sonic Chaos. :specialed: )

12. Kylegamer98

Kylegamer98

Forever Trial Member Member
    I only owned Chaos and 2(Both Game Gear), so they are obviously my favorites.
    Chaos was nearly the perfect handheld Sonic at the time, but 2 was one of the most difficult, yet rewarding games I've ever played.
    Those were the reasons I kept coming back.
    Also:
    [​IMG]
    I only beat it once in the entire 6-9 age zone.

13. Definately Sonic 2, the Master System version at least.

Why? For a start, it's the first Sonic game I ever played, so it holds a special place in my heart. Nostalgia aside, I really enjoyed the zones, I thought they were really creative, well designed with cool gimmicks.

Most of all, though - It has to be the music. There's not a single track in this game I don't like, even the little jingles from the level start, to when you die. I mean,jesus christ. And gotta give a mention to the Green Hill tune, possibly the greatest 8-bit track ever, even if it is just Toot-Toot Sonic Warrior (or did the 8 bit one come first?)

But, yeah. Holy shit it's hard. Even today, it's a very unforgiving game that requires a hellish amount of patience. I can't believe I even managed to get through it as a kid sometimes, and going from that to the Megadrive games blew me away as to how much easier they were.

Either way, like someone else has said, I'd love to see an actual hack that gives Sonic 2 SMS the 16 bit treatment, it would be friggin amazing.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    There was an attempt by Doc Eggfan, though it only features the 8-bit sprites and a new level order...
    See Sonic_2_-_The_Hybridization_Project.

15. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Triple trouble, but they all have single levels that make them shine, Bridge Zone's music is awesome, too.

16. Turbo-Tails

Turbo-Tails

Unfortuanately id like to say one but I have to say 4 different candidates.

Tails adventure,Sonic Blast, Sonic Chaos, Sonic triple trouble.

GG sonic games are among the best GG games ever, and there seriously good, I mean, I don't understand why people don't like them. Ill list why these are my candidates.
    Sonic blast is an easily underated game, featuring both sonic and knuckles, first time on game gear (Im not counting sonic drift, as it doesnt really fit what im talking about(sidescroller adventure game)) And the graphics, back then were great. First off, sonic and knuckles and eggman looked 3D even though it was 2D, kinda like the effects used in half pipe STH2, Blue Orbs in Sth3K and S3DB for Gen. Also, the level designs are pretty cool, nice to look at, and creative to say the least. Plus the special stages were like a mixed halfpipe, blue orb, and 3d blast for saturn all together.(Springs like in 3db for saturn, blue orb floor, and halfpipe move straight collect rings before goal mission)

Sonic chaos and TT will be counted together. The levels, omg the levels, there so great. Great design, shows creativity, inginuity, and you need to use your head to get through some of them. The special stages are also among my favorites, and why is that? Because they werent confined to some gimmick, they were actually all different, and varied that was what was great about them. The music is also amazing. And between mecha green hill zone, and gigapolis, I am just so amazed at chaos. Plus the ability to spindash and peelout is great, even if the peelout doesnt look like we all want it to (8).

Tails advent, possibly the greatest for the very reason that its like a ratchet and clank game in 2D.
    Gain armor, weapons,devices,robots, and plow through an army with tails in his own adventure. though movement is slow, so many other things make up for this. Extensive levels, exploration, the demand for you to actually have to think to beat a level. Great music an bosses. Plus the levels are great, design wise, I mean the tropes are the same. Cavern, forest, airbase, etc. But there shown so differently, and beautifully. I mean the battle khukus air base was certainly a different twist from the usual.

17. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Sonic Triple Trouble, hands down. For reasons already said above. Was my first Sonic game, and was the one that got me hooked on Sonic. The only thing I wish of it could have done was an extra fight at the end for collecting all the chaos emeralds. (you get the credits otherwise when you beat the game with all emeralds)

I'm probably the only one that bought and enjoyed Sonic Labyrinth, even though I should have got Tails Adventures instead that faitful day. (Could never find Tails Adventures again, had to play it on an emulator a decade later)

But yeah. Sonic Labyrinth is underrated. Any reviewer will slam the game because Sonic doesn't run fast.

18. My favorite Game Gear iteration was the original, mostly because it was, for a long time, the only one I played. I didn't discover the others until years later, and my opinion was tainted by the new (at the time) game systems.

19. Malgra

Malgra

Studium Member
    S2, purely for the nostalgia factor. S1 was awesome as well.

Those are the only two Sonic MS games I own (Though I've played others).

20. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Triple Trouble, no doubt about it. That one compares to any of the Genesis games, in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.