don't click here

Sonic Freerunner

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Azookara, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Dear Jeztac:

Whatever the hell you did, don't do it again.

2. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I don't get it.

[​IMG]

I said I love this. And I do. Admittedly, next to the model sheet it was based on, the second set of spines seem to be too low on the side view, but otherwise I love this. Only problem is, if the animation's not up to par then it'll just be killed. Hope that ain't the case.

Another thing, though; with the rolling looking like a bloody good approximation of the 2D physics, and this model -- is this becoming less 'FreeRunner' and more 'Classic 3D'...?

edit
    My post was un-trashed (which seemed to start the whole mess), my bad.

3. Impish

Impish

Ah yes, well we've been leaning more and more toward classic sonic, like with the story, the physics and now with that excellent model.

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I couldn't agree more. That is -THE- Sonic, in 3D.

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    You know what? I was JUST about to type those exact words.

That is fantastic! I love the classic style you've got going here. One thing though, the shoes seem a bit out of shape near the bottom, but meh, that's minor, great work!

6. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Boy don't like classic sonic with some moderness? Plus I don't use as the software as Jeztac does for everyday usage (although I do have it). I made this within an hour going on and off about it. So honestly doesn't matter if you think its good or bad. Its not supposed to be fully classic. His eye brows pop out. Top of his head pops out to give it a more smoother look. And for fun I gave him a bit of a indent on his forehead. So if you don't like oh well. I'm a modeler and more of a modern sonic fan then classic. If you can do better go right on ahead.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I wasn't talking to you so don't get your panties in a bunch. The classic Sonic image posted by Jez was swapped out with another one which led to confusion of anyone who just stumbled on the thread.

8. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Oh dang sorry about that man. Didn't mean to go on about like that. Just don't like criticism if they don't know for themselves how its really done. Sorry about the switch up.

9. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    The shoes are being edited to be a little more like his new shoes, but basically all that would be is giving him the grey soles and that's it. And the belly is being worked on by him already (last time we talked).

And yeah, "FreeRunner" went from being a parkour open world project to a "classic transition to 3D" game. :v: I decided over time that instead of trying to give the franchise something ELSE new, I would give what the franchise did best in a new dimension, giving an (although nostalgic) a fresh new experience. Classic but fresh you know.

10. I saw that to. One of the images was swapped with a sonic the hedgehog 06 sonic model image.
    But it swapped back.

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I don't know what was up with that, either. I was even asleep when everything happened, I woke up to see that one of my posts was trashed as well. But now I see everything is restored so it's all good.
    And yes, wonderful model, etc.

12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Lol I had no idea anything happened until I read those posts :v: I bet that led everyone into a scare.

13. Jeztac

Jeztac

Sonic R-DX
    [​IMG]

Made the new shoes.
    Edit: Fixed body.

14. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    [​IMG]
    The main problem spots I noticed.

Eye/Cheek: Sort of blend into the face weird/uneven. Not really sure what's happening there, to be honest.
    The strips screw up the... Socks? I've never known what those were.

And of course, the stomach coloring should be rounder. Still awesome, though. :)

15. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    This is awesome, although I do agree with the things Shadic said. But all in all it's lookin nice. :thumbsup:

And guys, I have a major question:

While we are still in the early part of development, should this go in the same route as what we originally planned, or should we keep on moving with the "3D translation of the classics" idea 100%? what I mean by the previous idea was that the game was to be as said a freerunner (hence the title of the game), which would feature Sonic combining his rolling moves and running with acrobatic parkour moves in vein to Mirror's Edge and Mario (featuring moves like wall jumping and wallrunning and vaulting and stuff). However, these things I'm sure would be difficult to program, so that's the problem with that. What do you guys think? Nothing will go to waste so far since the environment style will be practically the same no matter what version, rolling would be in the parkour idea, and you would choose between classic and modern skins anyways.

16. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I don't think this should be exactly classic, but feature the momentum-based speed as shown in the rolling video. I would certainly not be adverse to limited wall jumping and wallrunning, if by wall running you mean like in Sonic Adventure's speed highway.

17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Well yeah, probably most defInitely a wall jump, but by wallrunning I meant one of those "latch to a wall and just run up" type of deal rather than momentum-based wallrunning... So, I'd say yes to walljumping but not wallrunning (although the type of wallrunning you're talking about is obviously present), and another concept: ledgevaulting. What I mean by that is that Sonic could grab ledges when he comes up to height with one, and if he's keeping momentum, Sonic just automatically vaults himself up the ledge, pulling the momentum with him, which should allow the character to keep steady movement without hesitation.

But I guess I should keep it as mostly classic-styled gameplay. Plus, I have a non-Sonic concept already planned out for use when I become a full-blown game designer (or possibly sooner if I could develop with Unreal Engine III some more) that is based around parkour and ninja-like movement blended with GoW and Bayonetta styled fighting. But enough of that. :ssh: Sonic project.

But I won't make everything like the classics. There will be some somewhat newer stuff here and there. Of course there will he the optional character skins for modern style, but I also mean otherwise. Expect most of the environments to have a somewhat realistic flair to them although still retaining the crazy whimsical design of yore. For example (like shown on the first or second page) take the SST interpretation of Green Hill Zone; a stage that still has colorful designs and checkers and swirly sunflowers, but with more real and rocky geometry (although still somewhat blocky) and more realistically detailed flora (although still surreal).

18. Columind

Columind

Geistbox Member
    Music and Comics
    Dunno if I like this idea that much. Depending on level layouts it could just turn into "hold forward to win", to my regard not even Mirror's Edge used auto parkour; Prototype did however.

19. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Well, I mean it wouldn'tve been too good of an idea to feature a "grab" button, would it? That seems like something that'd be going too far out of our way to make, especially for something that small. Should it at least be agreed upon that Sonic should have the ability to grab onto ledges though?

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    That model is awesome and all, though I can't help but feel that his eyes looks like DSS. One of his pupils seems bigger.