don't click here

Robotnik vs. Eggman

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skywatcher, Jul 11, 2008.

Which name do you prefer/use/etc.?

1. It's Dr. Robotnik, silleh. You needs an evil name to be evil. Yeesh!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nah, it's Dr. Eggman. He looks like an egg for cripes sake!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Who ACTUALLY cares?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I remember the part where the west told SOJ to not put the werehog. What I had never heard before were the threats to cancel it. I doubt they even exist. I'd believe more in a smirk and a middle finger from SOJ then a cancel threat.

2. npd89

npd89

wat Member
    While I understand the perspective that "because Eggman was his original Japanese name his name should be Eggman", I personally believe he should still be called Robotnik in regions outside of Japan. I mean, just look at how much stuff (comics, cartoons, etc.) were created based on the non-Japanese Sonic - and these all used Robotnik for his name. Also, we call Mega Man Mega Man and not Rock Man right? Pac-man, not Puck Man? I think think they should have kept the localization consistent. It's too late for that now obviously but whatcha gonna do. Plus Eggman just sounds so..... dumb. Like, an insult a 1st grader would make.

3. Agreed! I didnt think about the Rock Man and Puck Man example. Nice :) I guess this further solidifies how selfish Sega of Japan really is.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    [​IMG]:colbert:

5. MastaSys

MastaSys

Yes the names slipped several times in the 90 the the other region.

*Remeber an Sonic Drift western manual*
    Eggman is his kart racing pilot alias. XD
    This is THE real truth.... :v:

6. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I think there's one thing that most of us can agree on, Eggman or Robotnik.

At least he's not called Julian.

7. zemulii

zemulii

In Japan though right? I think the point is that in ENGLISH, in the original games he was referred to as Robotnik. So if this is really a sequel to that particular series... why the heck did his name change? I mean they seem pretty serious about bringing just about everything else back (most of the things we don't want, and little of what we do). When you're continuing a story, you don't just change someone's name inexplicably mid-way through. I think that's what was meant by "disrespectful of the American Sonic fanbase".

Feel free to correct me. My facts could have course be wonky :S.

What's wrong with everyone hating on "every little thing?". I think there's good reason to when there are just so many little (and big) things to complain about. The game so far is looking incredibly tacky and thrown together. I reeeally want this game to be good. But so far, it's been a mixture of "woohoo!!" and "oh god they've got to be kidding...". At this point I'm starting to feel like I wish Sega would just sell off their name and IPs to a decent development studio... and save us so much disappointment. I guess it's our own fault for getting our hopes up again and again and again!

Erm... haven't totally given up all hope on this game yet though. There's never going to be another Sonic 4 now, so I've got to have some hope in this. I just hope that when we finally get a really good solid look at the gameplay, it's good news.

Also, +1 vote for NSMBW as the best 2D Mario platformer. Seeing as no one else here seems to think so. Too many people stuck in the past here I think! Hah, don't hate me!

8. Here's a brilliant idea: The enemies are still called "Badniks", right? Shouldn't they be "Badmans"? Or "Eggniks"? Crap, that actually sound pretty cool. :)

In other words, Dr. Robotnik is a better name because it sound awesomer. Robot + Nik = awesome sounding name. Discussion over. Can we talk about Sonic again? Perhaps we should talk about "hEs blu and hagehogs ar e brOWn n ral life!!!1!!!" or whatever.

9. zemulii

zemulii

Either Robotnik and the Badniks or Eggman and the Badmans. Pick one and stick with it Sega.

10. skyblaze

skyblaze

Why does this sound totally awesome to me?

11. RevFirst

RevFirst

Only if Robotnik/Eggman shouts this out with a Jamaican accent.

12. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    How about Broniks? :v:

13. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

All I could think about when I saw this post:

(1:06)
    You bad man! You very very bad man!
    + - What's even better is when he waves his finger around like Sonic later on (2:14).  

But I don't think I've ever noticed that, about badNIKS matching Dr. RobotNIK's game. But it would be cool for Team Megamix to take whatever Sonic 4 becomes, take its art, and port it to the Sega CD. :)

14. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Okay, so THAT'S where Jeff Dunham got the "I keel you!!" thing.

15. That's pretty much the same thing they are doing when using the new designs, they have no place in a continuation of S3K.

Games today have too much text. Even though Robotnik/Eggman was called differently depending on the country, the original games themselves were the same all around the world, because the freaking name wasn't even mentioned in them (there was an occasional "egg" here and there, but no one minded that). It would be better if Sonic 4 (man I almost start crying when typing that name, SEGA screwed me good this time) didn't even have to mention his name, but I doubt at this point that SEGA would make any good decisions.

16. RevFirst

RevFirst

Hahahaha. If only he voiced Eggman.

17. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

:thumbsup:

18. BaconFace

BaconFace

DrTapeworm Member
    Your mileage may vary, but I think both names are acceptable. Eggman works as a nickname that he just happens to plaster on all his inventions.

19. McSnapple

McSnapple

A Misereable Little Pile of Secrets Banned
    Trying to win Blue Sphere...all 100,000,000 + levels...
    Robotnik was just localization made by Sega of America b/c they thought Eggman (his actual name) wouldn't appeal to the U.S. market. This is typical of most video games back in the day, and still happens occasionally.

Enjoy your stupidity.

20. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    God damn AoSth Robotnik had the best theme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.