don't click here

Reviewing Sonic Pocket Adventure

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Sparks, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Kudos, Metal-geo!

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    So, I decided to reset the save memory *coughrenamedsavefilecough* and start playing the game again. So far, this is what I have:
    • Neo South Island 1: 8 pieces
    • Neo South Island 2: 8 pieces
    • Secret Plant 1: 5 pieces
    Anybody here going to do piece hunting? :D

3. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Decided to bump this due to the Sonic 4 discussions recently. Hope it's ok with the mods. :)

It's become obvious that Sonic 4 is becomming more of a major rehash of Sonic 1 with other elements from S2 (and 3K?). This reminds me a lot of how Sonic Pocket Adventure was made; a recycle of Sonic 1, 2, and 3K. While it's obvious Sonic 4s engine and physics won't be the same as the Genesis, I guess it's safe to compare Sonic 4 and Pocket Adventure so far.

It also gives me the odd idea of what if Pocket Adventure had rehashed graphics, like in 4. It's kinda hard to describe what I mean without visual representation, but I'll try my best. If Neo South Island had a rehashed GHZ look similar to how Splash Hill is coming along, would people of liked Pocket Adventure more or less? I'm not too sure what to make, but I'm actually curious on what people think of this theory/concept. Could Pocket Adventure be an 8 Bit (I forget the true bits on the NGPC, pardon) representation of Sonic 4?

A bit straying away from the comparision, I'm surprised when people say Sonic Pocket Adventure is "just Sonic 2." To me, it recycled a lot of elements from Sonic 1 and 2, but DIMPS developed on the layouts enough to consider some "Act 3" and "Act 4"s of their inspired zones, or have enough modifications to be something more (Neo South Islands 2nd half shows this more, while the first half resembles EHZ 2. Gigantic Angel is also a good example of having large modifications).

Opinions on this?

4. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Why not have the rips as VBR?

5. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I wish the PSP had a powerful enough NGPC emulator to run SPA without shitting out

6. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    I was actually going to buy SPA from eBay the second I got got some money.

I haven't played the game in years (I think I must have played it BEFORE I started high school... I'm in my second year of College now o_o).

But anyway, I'm excited! I just hope my money comes soon.

7. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    If the game was Sonic Pocket Adventure with better physics and graphics, I'd be fine with it.

8. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

What do you mean "if".

Neo South Island

Checker pattern? Check
    Totem poles? Check
    Polygonal palmtree? Check
    Retarded spiky mountains in the background? Check

Splash Hill

Checker pattern? Check
    Totem poles? No
    Polygonal palmtrees? No
    Retarded spiky mountains in the background? No

9. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Neo South Island to me was just GHZ exact, but with extended tiles, and lower definition graphics. Splash Hill is more of a rehash/new zone "inspired" by GHZ.

edit: splash island? lol whoops :v:

10. I liked this game. I played it breifly at a friends house. I loved it because of the Sonic 2-ness of it.

Anyways, I will end this comment with this; Sonic Pocket Adventure was not underrated, it got a 10/10 from IGN (Most will stop reading here), which is ironic, because the gave the Original MegaDrive games scores in the 9.0 ballpark...

11. Badnik

Badnik

I was always curious about this game. The NGP is such a great little system, and the idea of playing a remixed Sonic 2 sounds appealing. I think I'll take the plunge.

To eBay!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.