don't click here

Did you grow up with PAL or NTSC Sonic?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by VB.NET, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phithpleis

Phithpleis

Nein Member
    Your location
    Current Project
    Me, I am growing up here in North America, so, obviously NTSC. And I find playing Sonic games better on NTSC than PAL, because I'm not used to the slowness of PAL.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I think they were 60hz for me, 50hz only kicked in with the Gems Collection final boss replays.

3. RevFirst

RevFirst

Ah, nostalgia. The slower, classier(?) tunes in the 50HZ version is my most preferred soundtrack in the series.

4. XD001

XD001

UK
    I grew up with the 50HZ PAL Sonic, such awesome memories come to mind..

5. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    NTSC Sonic. Since I'm used to the normal music, I find the 50Hz music to be just too slow, though I have yet to play the PAL 50Hz version of Sonic 1.

6. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

PAL but since I started with S3&K, it made no difference. Then my parents opted to buy me a Saturn at launch and later I got Sonic Jam, which runs at 60Hz. Only later, when I bought the carts for the MD did I notice that yeah, it was slower.

At least we have superior Sonic 1 covers. :P

7. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    France, so I grew up with 50 Hz Sonic. That's why I don't like all the speed in the new sonic games :)

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Oh god no! It's basically NTSC with the PAL color encoding. =P

(You can play NTSC games on PAL-M TVs they'll just appear grayscale)

I'm a PAL-M guy, it's better than NTSC (It's 60hz with better colors) =D.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Please, post your comparison results.

10. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    I remember someone saying that depending on what region you're in, the framerate was different for the Genesis/Megadrive titles in Mega Collection Plus. I live in Australia and all the games are slow when I play Mega Collection Plus (PS2), EVEN Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which you guys say plays fine on real Megadrive hardware. I'm confused... :argh:

11. Yuzu

Yuzu

As far as I remember, on the XBOX version the only game that was affected by bad speed was Sonic 1, however that might have been because the version had support for 60Hz and 50Hz.

12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I agree with that logic right there, have you ever slowed down a tune and listen to it and thought.. "Hmm that sounds pretty damn decent"..?

13. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    I had a PAL MD2 Originally, now I have a PAL MD1, So yes, I get the 50Hz awesome that is Down-tempo Sonic 1 Music. Gameplay-wise from experience, both Sonic 1 & 2 had slower gameplay, but Sonic 2 Had correct music.
    When I first played 60Hz through Dos Emulation, damn, this was some time ago.. Was amazed at how different gameplay became.

50 Hz is amazing for exploring and all out platrforming, 60 Hz, is good for speedruns.

I'm fine with both, but love the 50Hz Sonic 1 soundtrack.

14. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Only had a Master System II as a kid. Not sure how the trouble in terms of NTSC-to-PAL-conversion was back then, if there even was any for those games. I just remember them being fun. xD;

15. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

PAL for me, since I got Sonic 2 first I always wondered why the Sonic themes played slower on the first game (though for some reason I like Labyrinth in slower pace). It's funny the Master System games were the same, only Sonic 1 didn't have the music fix for PAL versions.

I have PAL PS2 Mega Collection Plus and the games seem to play the original speed they did in that region's Megadrive, though Mean Bean Machine and Spinball seem to chug a little. None of the emulations in Gems were PAL refined though (nothing in that compilation was) and so they all have that Sonic 1 type slowdown.

16. I agree, Green Hill Zone is goddamn sublime in 50Hz. The music that is, the rest of the game is horrible. That's one of the reasons I think so negatively of Sonic 1 - bad memories. Before I knew about all that frame-rate stuff, I just thought it was ridiculously slow for a game that apparently was focused on "speed". Seeing as Sonic 2, the other MD Sonic game I had, was optimized for speed, I was much fonder of it.
    Why wasn't Sonic 1 optimized anyway? I thought Sega had planned to use Sonic as a mascot from the start, why not speed up a game they had such faith in?

17. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    Maybe it was already doing well we

Hrm. They were all released basically the same time. Japan's was actually later. Forgot about that.

..Fuck if I know. They just don't like Brits. :v:

18. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Fixed. There's more to the PAL-Region than the UK.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    PAL all the way, basically. =P It was hilarious the first time I listened to my Sonic tape recordings / played on hardware again after playing on emulators, simply for how slow it was - back in the day the Sonic 3 level select was a pain in the arse, but under 50Hz now after getting used to it at 60Hz it's MUCH easier to do.

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It still is... to me D:

I think I only got there once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.