don't click here

Sonic & Knuckles VC glitches

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tom41, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    I just bought Sonic & Knuckles on the Wii's Virtual Console. I'm not going to review it here, but I can say it's pretty much identical to the original. If you've also bought Sonic 1, 2, and 3 on the VC, you get a special menu when you press - on the Wii Remote, allowing you to choose which game to lock on.

Ok, onto the glitches:

* Sound bug with explosions and end panel sounds, much like the other MD Sonic games on VC

* In the Special Stage, the spheres appearing on the horizon are 'shadowed' (MD shadow/highlight), and become normal shortly after appearing. This is not the case on the original hardware.

* Lava Reef's boss, when the lava tilts the raster effect isn't emulated properly. The slope seems a bit 'jerky' and there are lines all over the surface of the lava. Again, this was not the case on the original hardware.

Feel free to post any other glitches you've discovered with S&K on Virtual Console here.

2. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    I've ran through some walls as Super Sonic, but I think these aren't unique to the Virtual Console version. Just more of "Robotnik's traps".

3. Spindash54

Spindash54

Did you ever wonder how he spins in place? Member
    Not exactly a glitch, but I've noticed SFX that were off in S3 being fixed in S3K.

4. Tom41

Tom41

UK
    Just found another one. Have debug mode active, and go to a level where there are spinning cylinders (such as Hydrocity and Carnival Night)
    Get on the cylinder, and press B. On the original hardware, the graphics will corrupt and the game will freeze. On the Wii VC version the graphics corrupt, but there is no freeze! Another example of imperfect emulation ;)

I used to dread moving around with debug in those zones in case I accidentally got on a spinning cylinder and froze the game (frequently this would wipe the SRAM too).

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Most emulators don't properly emulate this. I'm not exactly sure what it does specifically that causes a crash. (unaligned address exception, access to $800000-$9FFFFF, etc.) Anyone have any idea what it does?

6. Tom41

Tom41

UK
    Sorry to bump the old topic but I found another glitch, this time with Sonic 2. When you go into the Special Stage, the Wii version runs WAY too fast. I actually made a video showing how the Wii version rapidly goes out of sync with an original MD playing the game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33XQqw4K7yk

7. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    That's strange. Reminds me of the Gems version of Sonic CD with its quicker Special Stages. I wonder why that happens.

8. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Oooh ooh, I can explain this :P Basically, the game is meant to update the half pipe frame every 5 frames. However, on the Mega Drive there's a bit of slow down happening while it's working to update so realistically it's more like 6-7 frames. The wii emulator obviously doesn't emulate the slowdown. The easiest way to see what I mean, is to compare how many frames it takes to update the half pipe on Kega, using the emulator's frame advance and using Sonic 2's debug mode frame advance. Kega's is 6-7 and Sonic 2's is a consistent 5.

As for Sonic CD on Gems Collection, it's faster because they increased the frame rate of the Special Stage to 60 without changing the actual game play code.

9. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I noticed the very same thing with Mega Collection on the Gamecube and the average Pal Sonic 2 cartridge.

Also, kudos to whoever has John Entwhistle as their avatar, what a legend!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.