don't click here

Sonic Classic Collection

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    The fact that you're quoting AVGN to prove a point seems pretty moot to me, but yes WITHOUT THE SCALING, JenesisDS is better. But that previously went without saying. >_>

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    You are crazy for just thinking about saving for a DS just for an old collection. The Sonic Rush games are nice to play (on a DS only), specially the special stages. New super mario bros is nice too, but a bit meh. The Pokémon games are the best of all the series. It can emulate SMS/GG perfectly (the SMS screen has the same resolution as the DS screen so it fits perfectly). Metroid Prime Hunters, Project Rub, Dementium, N+, Zelda Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks, Nanostray, go see some review site that has DS games by category to see the real games that would make you buy one.

We don't know yet, it has underwater palette problems, the DAC sounds off-sync, it can't run Sonic3K or Sonic 2K. I don't think it's that better. It's an awesome piece of software for sure, but was still in development.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I loved the music in that DC collection, when I first played it I didn't know it was intentional.

Also I love the voice sound effects in Paperboy 2 when using that emulator.

4. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    fix'd :specialed:

Anyways, I don't get what all the griping is about. Outside of the one pic of Chemical Plant zone, things sound and look fine to me. Or am I missing something?

5. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Some of us have been playing the games since 1991 and have a lot of feelings associated with the games, not even mentioning the fact that they were some of the best games of the time, so like it or not a lot of people become purists. A new collection, probably the 10th or so by now, that looks and sounds even a little off is a big deal to purists because they feel it doesn't do the games justice.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr

US

Well I have been wanting a DS for some time now, its just that there are too many other things I'd much rather save up for. Having Sonic 1-K on the go however, would certainly have pushed a DS to the top of my list, but that is definitely not happening now. And as with my Gamecube and 360 (two systems I got simply to play a Sonic game), I likely would have bought other great games on the platform as well (Golden Sun DS, Pokemon Platinum, NSMB, Sonic Rush, etc). I still may get one in the future if I am able to.

7. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    For the DS, I would recommend: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, C.O.P: The Recruit, Metroid Prime Hunters, New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 64DS, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, the Ace Attorney games, Phantasy Star 0, and the Transformers 1: The Game Autobots and Decepticons versions.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Knowing that this game is playable, with the original music in too is enough is to make a purchase. I've wanted this game for a very long time, because I play on the DS more than I ever have any other game system. The real kicker would be if the game had the Sonic and Knuckles Collection soundtrack, but I'm not so stupid that I would expect that. The superior Ice Cap, Launch Base and Carnival Night tunes are gonna go a miss forever. =(

Just cause I'm wondering, who else is forking out the cash to import the Special Edition. Or buy it if you live in New Zealand/Australia/Spain.

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Mega Man Zero Collection will also make a fine staple later this year.

...I could make a shot against this title using MMZC, but this one's been hammered down enough on its own merits.

10. Granville

Granville

US
    @Dr. Mustache-

It was intended as a joke, but if you're really going to invalidate my quote because I did, then I've got a nice facepalm ready. My opinion stands true, and the quote fits it, which is why I used it. So get over it.

@Master Emerald-

I'll consent on the Sonic 3 and Knuckles and Sonic 2 and Knuckles. But if they screwed them up beyond being enjoyable, I would rather just be without them. Besides the loss of the hyper forms and the playability of ALL characters in both games, I'm satisfied with playing Sonic 3 and S&K separately. Weird I may be. In the latest versions of JenesisDS, I've had very very few issues with the underwater pallete. As Lordus has cut the slowdown back, there has been much less flashing in the underwater bits, it's ALMOST completely gone. And if this port doesn't even include the cool underwater effects like the rippling, I'd rather just play the Japanese Sonic 1 on JenesisDS.

I WILL give this port a try though. If the only issue is the scaling, it might be ok. And it would be even better if you could just disable the scaling and play it cropped/zoomed. We'll see, I'm one who judges a game AFTER playing it, not before. :P

@anyone talking about buying a DS-

Whatever you think about this collection, OR my personal favorite, Golden Sun, I'm SURE you can find at least a handful of DS games that you'd like and make a DS purchase worth it for you! ;)

11. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    Except, you guys ain't the only one's that have been playing the games for awhile. I mean, I haven't been playing the games since 91 (I was kinda young then and was still playing the 2600 ), but I'm hardly new to the series (I can't quite remember when I started playing, the earliest was 93/4 I'd say though. I started liking sonic when I first saw the adventures of sonic the hedgehog. ) and I love the genesis sonics as much as the next guy, they're some of my favorite games to this day. But complaining about the littlest things still seem rather silly.

12. HighCaliburFun

HighCaliburFun

I gotta juice! Member
    USA
    @Granville

So perhaps I'm a little late to the party, but are you saying that they removed the hyper forms from the SCC port? That's just horrible! I will not stand for this injustice! :argh: That's like taking the venom out of a snake, and what do you have then? You just have a belt...

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    No.

He just said he would prefer depending on the situation play on JenesisDS with the scaling off without the hyper forms as there is no lock on.

Also, my last reason for buying a DS.

Buy a flashcart and don't buy anything more. Cheap and fast.

14. corneliab

corneliab

I believe you misunderstood. What he was getting at is that he would prefer to play Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles separately (of which lacked Hyper forms and the ability to play as all three characters standalone) than a gimped version of Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

15. Granville

Granville

US
    Yes, that is what I meant. I mean, if the port suffers from horrid framerates, ugly scaling, and all sorts of other technical problems that I could use JenesisDS to bypass, I'd choose JenesisDS over that. Whether I can pirate SCC or not is irrelevant. I can do without saving in S&K, due to the level select and all. And I can live with super forms (although the absence of Super Tails could piss some people off).

Just too bad Lordus never implemented large rom support. It's in most other emulators for DS, even SnemulDS. It would be nearly perfect.

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Don't expect anything worse than JenesisDS as that is JenesisDS =P (Or people say so!).

17. Granville

Granville

US
    Considering JenesisDS has no slowdown, barely any graphical glitches, you can turn off the scaling, and is made by an amateur programmer, from Germany, I won't criticize it for anything. Sonic classics however, has no excuse to fail. SEGA is making it, oh wait, I guess it DOES have an excuse to fail...

Who told you JenesisDS sucks? It doesn't, they must be playing an old build if they think that.

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    The latest version of JenesisDS has a lot of sound issues, and layering problems too. A lot of games wont even load.

If this is using JenesisDS, they must be using modified ROMS to move the HUDs to be on scree, and also the S2 title screen is different. This really could be ports of all the games, but if that were the case you would think they would handle the graphics better.

19. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Also, if you know what goes into making sprites look the way they do and are accustomed to how they look in-game, it's jarring to see them distorted like this. It's like viewing a professional photograph on a webpage where someone's used html to resize it.

20. FireStar

FireStar

The ultimate lurker
    About everyone saying there is no evidence for Sega using JenesisDS
    I swear though there was a post somewhere about jenesis being copyrighted by sega and it being sega's now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.