don't click here

New Sonic Engine Coming...

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Mercury, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Holy shit, it makes sense

2. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    LOL, yes, you're following.

In the final, there will be options for limiting the number of rotations, as well as defining specific sprites for angle ranges. In my game, for instance, I want there to be unique sprites when running upsidedown and so on - after all, Knuckles' dreads have to conform to gravity, and not point up when he's on a ceiling, right? :)

I'm still in the early stages of the switch idea. I'm not fully decided on the specifics yet.

One (not-so-bad) limitation of my mathematic slope system is that it's currently limited to straight lines. Does anyone know any good algorithms that might give me the Y height of a bezier just by knowing the X coordinate? Beziers are more difficult for the user to assemble, but it might to nice to have them in my bag of tricks in case I ever need them.

3. Damizean

Damizean

As classic as rock Member
    Valencia, España
    Various projects
    Finding the correct time at the X coordinate on a bezier may be too tricky. Instead, why don't you use a sine wave to do smooth curves? It would serve nicely to get quarter loops and similar structures easily instead of creating thousands of small linear slopes.
    Code (Text):
    1. t = (x-x1)/(x2-x1);
    2. y = y1+y2*sin(lerp(0, PI*0.5, t));

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Isn't that essentially how the original did it? If so, then implementing that method would make this truer to the original physics, which isn't a bad thing.

5. Armada

Armada

Sometimes I do things Member
    I can help with a level editor if you need this. I've made a mapper and format for my own game. Drop me a PM if you're interested. Great work, we need more projects like this so people stop spouting shit about how GM is terrible. Its not. Idiot 12 -year-olds make bad games with it.

6. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    The original games just looked up the pixel height and angle value from a premade look-up table, there were no calculations taking place in real time.

EDIT: Might as well comment while I'm posting in the thread. schweeeeeeeeeet

7. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Do you start with Knuckles because he is the hardest character to program? Also as far as features go how about a following Tails?

8. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I can implement this pretty easily, but my problem with it is that the originals don't conform to sine waves and quarter circles all that often. I mean, you can do a bunch of S3&K with those pieces, but Starlight Zone just has too strange of shapes (which is why I used it in the video).

I suppose people will most likely be making new Sonic games with the engine, and not trying to emulate old ones, but I just felt bad about it not being able to handle at least what Sonic 1 could, you know? That's why I was contemplating beziers, because you can make any sort of curve with them.

I really appreciate the offer, but I've already got mine basically finished. It works in real time, too - like the ultimate debug mode! ;)

I started with Knuckles because I wasn't decided on which Sonic sprite set to use yet.

As for a following Tails, I haven't begun work on anything like that yet, but I've got the previous position table and the ability to log input, so he shouldn't be too hard. Hopefully having 2 Player objects won't take up too many cycles, because I'd like to have a multi-player mode, too.

Oh, and for anyone who liked SX8B Playable, with what I've learned since I ought to be able to pop its levels together without driving me crazy. So it looks like it might get finished after all! Get ready for those multi-coloured Chaos Emeralds! :v:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.