don't click here

Levels & Items Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    What. Physics are about the only thing that should make sense in Sonic games. But besides, the devs took some elements that were supposed to act like their real world counterparts, so perhaps we should keep applying common sense with those.

He has already done it. The last version looks more fitting, in my oppinion.

You know, because a zone looks more plain than the others, it shouldn't mean we should change it into candyland zone for this project.

2. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    It certainly is a pretty tree, but not very fitting in :/

3. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    In all honesty, the trunk looks good. Its just the leaves that look out of place; Its like someone drew them with some colored pencils.

Perhaps add detail to the shape of the leaves, and not just the texture, to get a truly acceptable tree.

4. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    I think it looks kinda flat. Kinda clashing with the rest of HTZ. It's the trunk that looks flat. At least flat compared to the rest of the stuff on the screen. Gradients and then suddenly not gradients.
    I like the look of the tree by itself but I still think it clashes with the rest of HTZ.

5. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I do think your trunk is interesting, but the top is still terrible. I have a feeling there will need to be some artistic liberty to get that thing to fit in properly. A suggestion for the trunk would be to add some shapes to the lines on there to make it similar to real tree bark. Nothing too over the top, but it could look nice. I'm not sure what the top needs yet, but if I have any ideas I'll throw 'em out there.

6. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    It's going to work like a see-saw regardless. That's not the issue here. What is is how it looks. And yes, the iterations he's posting are getting better.

No one is saying that. But improvements can and will be made to tastefully and appropriately spice it up.

T.O. the trunk you've got there is interesting, but I have to agree with Gambit. The top just looks dirty. Here's food for thought: add in additional small points coming out from between the large ones, and then shade all the segments individually to make it look like they would have a /\ shape if viewed from parallel to their surfaces.

7. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    You mean a fractal style?

8. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    This was my last contribution for the HTZ tree. It's not perfect and could use some work but I think it looks better than what we've currently got (and I don't mean test-object's one)

[​IMG]

I also remember several 3D trees being posted which, if I remember, were looking quite good. I'll try and look back and find them when I get some time but it might be worth someone checking them out.

Edit: The tree isn't actually mine, someone else did most of it, I just added a few adaptations.

9. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, that tree was done by Master Emerald and the 3-D trees were done by Canned Karma, I believe.

10. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    + - 1. Announcements  

+ - 2. Artist's Shrine:  
    + - *Concepts and Mockups  
    + - *Character Art  
    + - *Badnik and Bosses Art  
    + - *Item and Misc Art  
    + - *Level Art  
    + - -EHZ  
    + - -CPZ  
    + - -...  

+ - 3. Music Departement:  
    + - *Sound Effects  
    + - *Remasterings  

+ - 4. Programmer's Corner  

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    It seems like no matter what we do to these trees, they'll always end up looking like a piece of origami - purely because of the style of tree can be so hard to recreate in HD.

Anyway, on to test-objects trees...

I'm liking the bottom of the green, er, tree area, but it doesn't seem to have a uniform shading to it towards the top like it has in the original. I've noticed that the edges of the top of the tree are lighter than the ones at the bottom.

Perhaps you could try uniformly shading it the same, from top to bottom?

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    After all the latest tries, it definately looks to me like these trees need to be in 3D in order not to look flat.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yeah just render them properly in 3D and work from there.

It's clear that the Mega Drive versions are broken and out of proportion. I don't think it's possible to avoid them looking flat if you follow the original guidelines.

14. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    [​IMG]

That was tree I made a while back even though the lighting/shadows are giving off some funky stuff and the render is missing the top of the tree.
    I would need to dig around for the file to find it again though.

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe

That's looking pretty smart at the moment with those little details you've thrown in there.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Now there's the volume it lacked. :)

...Except for the trunk, for some reason?

17. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    That tree was made last year around this time and just looking at that image I can already tell what the issues are with it. Perspective is really weird.

18. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    The trunk looks like shit, with the trunks I see on the ones other people have, it would be best if I just rendered without it and put them together.

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Nothing to see here, just dropping stuff :p
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

More to come.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Here's something that couldn't be replied to, at the closed topic.

My suggestion:
    [​IMG]

I think those four "exploded" bits would give it a more varied look (while also keeping it closer to the original).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.