don't click here

why was the rom topic locked?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Crysta, Mar 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Games are supposed to be realistic, but not THAT realistic.

The next thing you know, Sonic Advance 4 will have the whole Goatse.

2. AndyAML

AndyAML

Canada
    burp
    On a similar note, I noticed that the final zone in Sonic Advance 3 was not called XXX Zone. :( This means that we can't make the "OMFG tehre is a pr0n zoen in sonec advaenc #!!" jokes.

Le pew.

3. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    Personally, I didn`t think Sonic Advance 2 was any better. There were so many bottomless pits in that game, it`s not even funny. Aside from that, it introduced the idiotic Cream character.

4. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    Kinda makes you wonder how much more of a kickass job we can do to make a game that uberkills all the GBA games :evil: .

5. Fiz

Fiz

FACKIN' BIG PENIS Oldbie
    PENIS
    Pray to Dog there isn't a Sonic Advanced 4 after this piece of shit. :P

6. In my opinion this game was just a money maker.They didn't realy care about how good it was.I think they made it just to make a lil more money.The least they could have done is added a feature to turn off your partner.And they should have spent more than 5 minutes thinking about how to get to various levels.What the hell were they thinking???They should pay US to make games FOR them cause we are 100 times better at it.

7. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    ..in our opinion. The blind fanpeople may think differently.

Remember, these are the people who bought all the useless junk simply because it had Sonic on it. Overmarketing can only be a bad thing; Sonic and Pokemon have proved that.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The clean ROM is not like that, either. They just removed the message from a pre-modified ROM, so it's equally different minus the stupidity.

9. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    They removed the message and fixed all the padding which #gbatemp had changed from FF to 00. In effect, they restored the ROM to normal since what #gbatemp did could easily be undone. #gbatemp wouldn't have the knowhow to change any game code.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    WTF. Since when are games supposed to be realistic??

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    EDIT: Oops, I read it wrong.

No, they didn't restore it to normal. Now it's a hack of a hack.

In fact now it's much more different than the clean ROM.

12. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    What, did the #gbatemp people edit an already existing message?

IMO, hacking a dumped ROM when you release it is only okay if you give instructions to revert the ROM back to 100% original state, removing any modifications (for example, if one only modified the start vector, and added extra padding in between the existing ROM and an intro, to help aid the process of removing the extra data).

And I don't believe in training a ROM for its first release, either. It'd be okay to release the clean version, wait, say a month, then release a trainer version (or even better, a patch).

Matter of fact, as I'm sitting here thinking, I feel that if one were to add an intro to a ROM when they release it, the best way would be to distribute the clean ROM plus a patch with your intro - the best of both worlds.

I'm the same way with video and bugs - I'd much prefer to credit myself in some metadata that can be accessed on playback, than muck up the picture by putting a bug somewhere. Especially if the video is something rare that I'm releasing.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    No no, I mean, the guys who are now distributing the ROM have deleted the message that gbatemp had added at the end, but by doing this and adding more FF padding they've made it even more different to the clean ROM.

And besides, that message wasn't the only thing gbatemp changed, to my knowledge.

14. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    The version available from http://www.advance-power.de includes a GBATemp NFO file, so I assume that it would be a clean copy.

15. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    open the ROM in a text editor and scroll right to the bottom, if the message isn't there its clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.