don't click here

Sonic X-treme Textures and Defs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Well what do you know, my guess was right after all. =P

2. Syniphas

Syniphas

also known as Svetlana Member
    Brazil
    WARNING OLD QUOTE AHEAD

The corkscrew paths, being dynamic and all, should be in the DEFs. The stationary level blocks and such should be in the PCXs.

I'm not really looking at the DEFs in-depth, but that's what I've managed to gather so far.

3. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    Shhh ;)

4. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    Just one question about all of this, where does this put us now, I know that we already had 0 chance of getting anything else, but I just get the feeling this pushes us into the negatives. As for hxc being the one who release this, good job ;). You didn't disappoint.

5. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I think it's best that things are held under wraps until the opportune moment arises. If I had found something amazing, I'd only let Tweaker, SS and drx know.

6. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    The thing is, there really wasn't much else that could be done. Ofer is taking Xtreme to the grave, Coffin and the others are too busy having a life to care about a silly little game any more. Senn is all we really have.

7. SlushBox

SlushBox

bored with living Member
    It is just a hobby for most of us who are interested anyway. All things considered, it's nice for new stuff to come out, but not at the expense of others. It was nice looking through the content, but if it wasn't released it's not like my life would be any different. I, as well as many others, have more important things to worry about, as well as other hobbies.

8. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Looky looky here

Although this may be sort of a bump, this may be worth noticing. I mean, it is rather impressive and does simulate Xtreme in a way I didn't imagine the SRB2 engine could. (Morph, come out of your cubby hole and show these people what this is :v:)

If it could be edited to where fisheye could be in the DOOM/SRB2 engine, this would be pretty dang accurate (minus changing the textures). No really, this is pretty close.

EDIT: Snap, he brought it up himself in the General Project Screenshot Thread. =P Still, a video wouldn't hurt.

9. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    I actually used this information here to get the proportions right. It's still a bit too big in comparison to Sonic, but it's alright I guess. Textures will be changed eventually, as will the enemies and scenery (lolwhatscenery), HUD, etc.

I'm not sure how SRB2 would manage to pull off a fisheye, though. But with these leaks, I looked at that Jade Gully... I figured, it doesn't really have any slopes, ignoring the waterfalls and that weird thing that comes out of the wall (and the slopes present in those videos that aren't present here, but those don't apply obviously), so I made it. Then I just made a simple script to change the camera view, and keep it in one spot. (downside is, if the camera gets stuck, it resets, so the perspective will change. You can also reset your camera manually if you want, though, but I didn't exactly want that to happen >_>) Is there really much more to explain? =V

10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I don't know, besides the fact that it looks freakin' awesome so far. =) I wouldn't mind to see this finished, even without fisheye.

11. SRB2 always seemed really, really shitty to me.

Funny how things change.

12. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    SSNTails has coded a new engine, but don't know what's keeping him from releasing it.

The numbers in the DEF files are not IEEE floats, they're fixed 16bit I think.
    The shadows are via a flag.
    There's a bunch of cube types, most of which I was too lazy to implement, which is why slopes are missing in some directions.
    There's a cube scalar that can scale down a cube, as well as cube translate which can offset a cube from the center position.
    This was used to make enemies out of 'qubes' and one could move them around with a path or code in the engine.

The foam for the waterfall is such an odd size and position in the viewer cause the cube scalar/translation isn't implemented.

13. Impish

Impish

Now SRB2 is one of two engines that I believe are great for sonic fangames. (The other is blitzsonic, but that doesnt have an actual game made on it yet). I can't wait to see where this SRB2 Sonic Xtreme thing is going to go.

14. Granville

Granville

US
    I just wish SRB2 had loop and better slope support. It even had some nice momentum physics, but it's just not that Sonic-like.

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    hey I believe we have some scales figured out just from watching the PC video, ( cant be 100% sure though,
    was wondering if you plan to work on your viewer yet again,.
    or maybe perhaps you have some of the scale info laying around to share with us?

Our engine is nearing completion over here as well, weve got some physics set up already, although very early.
    to bad Xeniczone released a video that used a very old test cube based model, thus the pop in in game maker.
    also please note this runs at 60 and above FPS, the capture software seems to take to many recourses.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO79ejd1O4g

16. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Looks pretty cool, Andrew.

I noticed that in the christmas level, there is a spider made of cubes that is really broken

17. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    JUNGLE_*.def is the level I think that one of you was asking about that was in the video but aint in the kit.

The DEF system supposedly allows the complex shapes in the top-right:
    [​IMG]

Kurisu said they never used those complex shapes and just use cubes and basic slopes, mixed with scale flags and offset flags (no rotation flags).
    This is because paths removed the need for such tiles, simplifying the engine design.

Nice video, ... you should use your talents to make a game that you could maybe actually sell/call your own from ground up.
    Why make a game for a commercially whored out character.

"was wondering if you plan to work on your viewer yet again,."
    Nope.

"hey I believe we have some scales figured out just from watching the PC video"
    Cubes were 1x1x1 but scaled to 1x1x1.54, with 1.54 being the Z axis, along with extra scaling by the Fish Eye Lens.
    (Studio 54)

Yes that's one of the things.

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Yeah, I felt Sega ruined sonic when they brought him into the 3D world.
    Our project is for fun, not really trying to turn a profit with it.

19. Granville

Granville

US
    Wanted to pass this on, as Chris has some more stuff coming (he sure kept a cool head through this)-

"Hi folks,

In the spirit of the holidays, and in the coming months, a concerted effort will be made to share the following:

1) Yasuhara-san isometric designs

2) More Tiara and Boobowski sketches

3) More enemy designs

4) Unseen videos

5) Updated FAQ

6) Updated SXC

(not necessarily in this order)

Happy Holidays everyone!

-kurisu"

http://www.senntient.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=941

20. Vague Rant

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute Oldbie
    While I see your bolding on the videos, I'm really more excited by this. For me, Yasuhara is the brains behind Sonic; his involvement is a requirement for a fun Sonic game. Yes, this means I didn't like Sonic CD, commence whining.

Also hey Granville. One day I'm going to join a forum somewhere, and you won't have joined it yet. It will happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.