don't click here

should i buy Sonic Jam...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ben2k9, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    I have recently seen 2 copies of Sonic Jam at Gamestation (for those who don't know, it sells second hand games), I went back today and one is gone, should I buy the last remaining one even though I don't own a Saturn? I mean its very rare in the UK (along with Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix) to buy directly off the shelf and I thought if I ever DO get a Saturn at least I have that game for it. Not only that, it will be an addition to my sonic collection and I will be able to play the infamous sonic 1 with spindash (that's if I find a Saturn).

so should I?

2. POIZON THE HEDGEHOG

POIZON THE HEDGEHOG

Pending Member
    Uhhh... lemme think...
    OF COURSE YOU SHOULD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dude, not just uk, it's rare in the U.S. too
    and you can find a really cheap saturn at amazon

3. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    Dude, never ask a question as simple as that! Of course you should get it! That's almost like being young, still believing in Santa, and telling your parents you don't want Santa to bring you presents. Go out and that game now!

4. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    Yes, you must go buy it now! I own it and it rulz man! No really, it's a great game. I should get another copy because mine is all scratched up.

5. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    *hugs his Saturn* My preciousssssss...

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I bought it for less than €10 even though I don't own a Saturn... It's a nice thing to have since you can get a couple of wallpapers, take a look at the scanned manuals, watch all those funny commercials as well as the Sonic Ride (BonanzaBrothers-ish Eggman included), and even listen to some of the low quality in-game music if you're bored enough.

7. PinkRose324

PinkRose324

*HIC* The Drunken Member *HIC* Pending Member
    *takes a "LOTR Dialogue Converter", records quickman's saying, and hear a loud "MY PRECIOUS!*

Seriously though, BUY IT! You never know what might happen.

8. Drakmyth

Drakmyth

Inspector Drakmyth Master at your service. Oldbie
    In the void beneath the ancient maze...
    Sonic Eclipse 2, Return of the Hidden Palace, Unnamed Sonic 2 Hack
    If for no other reason, perhaps you could find a way to get a saturn emu going? *wink wink*

9. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    AFAIK there are no Saturn emulators yet that run Sonic Jam without glitches. The conversions of the Genesis games are really slow, and Sonic World is so glitchy it's unbelievable.

But still, I think you should get it even if you don't have a Saturn. What if you get a Saturn later? :) You could also extract the Sonic Museum files and Digital Manuals directly off the disc with your PC!

A word of warning - handle the disc as if it were made of platinum! The smallest scratch on the surface or back of the disc will affect the game. Mine no longer plays the Sonic 3 Special and Bonus Stage music, it just plays the first 1/4 second over and over. I've also heard other people have got problems such as certain games not loading, or it freezing when you enter one of Sonic World's buildings.

Edit: You can view the Digital Manuals on PC with a standard image editor (such as Photoshop) that can handle TIFF files. If you want to view the History of Sonic images, and the Character House images, you'll either need to fiddle around with RAW image settings, or get a program called Suzie which can extract them in color.

10. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    see my other post, those errors are EXACTLY what's happened!! (the CD is second hand)

11. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Yea but I like how the CD is built up. Instead of having ROMs, there are data files seperated from the code files, and that makes Sonic Jam so exclusive when compared to Sonic Mega Collection

12. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    So the ROMs are actually recompiled to run on a Saturn?! :shocked:
    Surely that could help answer some questions about how files are stored in ROMs?

13. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    The data is the exact same format as the Genesis games, but the code is appearing in another machine code than M68k. Still the layout of the code is the same... or at least close to. Also the game is running almost identically as the Genesis versions, so I'm a little bit confused about how it was ported.

14. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    For one thing, the music on Sonic Jam is in AIFF format instead of the standard Z80 program format. Also, I assume the level data is stored uncompressed, as each game folder (SONIC12, SONIC3K) takes up over 100MB.

15. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    well, playing sonic 1, it seems a little different, I don't know how but it just does. (plus that spindash is still cool having it in sonic 1!)

16. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    In fact, only some of the Sonic 2 2-player level music is stored in AIFF format. The rest are stored in ADP format, and so far I haven't been able to find a player that can play Saturn-encoded ADP files.
    I've tried renaming them to AIFF, dragging them into an AIFF player, opening them as RAW - no luck.

17. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    The engine works the same, but the hardware is so different that it may feel different. The HBlank is working way different. And the 32 tile mode which you can see in Sonic 2's special stage are stretched so the text is in non-aspect resolution

18. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    I've found it harder to pick up rings when hit in sonic 1 jam version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.