don't click here

Classic vs. Modern Design

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Phos, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The old statue wasn't a very good statue, really.

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I know, but still.

Oh well, my member title suits me just fine lately.

EDIT: Ok I lol'd, saw this on the SEGA America Blog:
    What does this even have to do with the statue goddamn.

3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Actually if they just could've had given the old statue the new statue's head (yet somewhat smaller), and colored the black, that'd be one awesome looking statue. :v:

4. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    I do have to admit, the old statue's pretty ugly in comparison. Of course, it is based off the US concept art, instead of the much better Japanese art.

5. Phos

Phos

Would anyone happen to have a rip of the Sonic into Dreams... model? I'm getting some ideas.

6. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Oh snap Phos, what are you up to :v:

Seriously though, even if he wasn't exactly top-notch proportional, I still would give my kingdom for the Sonic World/S3DSSS/R model. It's just too beautiful to let be~ <3 Well, at least that or Sonic's model from Xtreme, but that one's prerendered into sprites on that game, so there's no real way to get that model, dangit.

7. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Good on them. That old statue's really off-model and doesn't seem much to brag about being in the front of your office.

What appeared to be the sight of Sonic's severed head sitting near a Christmas tree was amusing though.

8. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    If you think that the old statue actually looks better than that newer model you're insane. I love classic Sonic as much as the next guy, but that old statue is fucking atrocious.

9. Beebles

Beebles

Now with OFFICIAL terrible Knuckles artwork. Member
    Check my blog for details.
    http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/...o_Bros._box.jpg
    Regardless of being an actual Mario game, the SMBUSA artwork is similar to the Super Mario Bros. official artwork. I'd still say that 'Classic Mario' has a higher body-to-head ratio, and thicker limbs.

10. lame... I would have hoped they would have put it up for auction/sale.

11. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    <!--quoteo(post=383448:date=Dec 10 2009, 04:40 PM:name=::CMG (UTOPIA)::)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (::CMG (UTOPIA):: @ Dec 10 2009, 04:40 PM) [​IMG]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    lame... I would have hoped they would have put it up for auction/sale.
    [/QUOTE]
    But then people would bitch about how it's SEGA's way of abandoning classic Sonic once and for all.

12. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Might as well. Sonic overall is not going back to the classic look unless he takes an EXTREME nosedive in sales or something.

That's not gonna happen any time soon btw, unless every game stops making "Greatest Hits/Platinum Choice/what have you"

13. Phos

Phos

This happened.

14. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I dunno if Unleashed made it yet but I know that Sonic '06, the last big Sonic game, made the Greatest Hits list and managed to make it on that high demand downloads page on the 360, so apparently not.

15. nullaccnt

nullaccnt

Classic Sonic, hands down. My favorite is the OVA, second would be the games, particularly Sonic CD. The games version of him is the one that is timeless, the OVA isn't as much that visually but it builds on his original personality. These are the also the only versions of him that are closest to the real Sonic, seeing as Oshima oversaw both projects.

Sonic is so popular that people want almost anything having to do with him, so theoretically, unless there is a true boycott for the modern Sonic and his games, nothing will permanently change. For the record, I am not suggesting a boycott, lol. Personally, I will continue to go with the flow and take what I like and leave what I don't. Classic Sonic will always have a special place in my heart and I can always revisit those times in my memories and by playing the games.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's not like Classic Mario always looked like that, it's just that both examples are the same piece of artwork from 1985, only mirrored.

17. Machenstein

Machenstein

If Sega does end up using classic Sonic for Project Needlemouse, it will probably only be for that one game. I doubt Sega will ever replace modern Sonic. But, at the same time, nothing is stopping them from using the classic design every once and a while either.

18. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    I always put my money on Classic Sonic.

One thing I love is hearing anorexic people whine how Classic Sonic is fat. (Just go to the Sega Boards or the Project Needlemouse board...ugh.)

I don't like the drooping spines from Sonic's head in the modern design. Something about them just looks wrong.

I must also agree that the OVA represents Sonic's personality perfectly. I love his 'I don't care' attitude combined with an actual concern for close friends. (Though not to the point where it is overly gay)

I call dibs for my new avatar. Just what this board needs. :v:

19. I say Classic. Modern Design aren't doing it for me.

20. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

You guys know the box art for Sonic 1 of course, with Sonic well rendered on the front? That's my favorite drawing of classic Sonic hands down. And I don't think Oshima did it, since I've seen Oshima's other stuff and it doesn't fit with the box art.

As for the newer Sonic, the Unleashed model is the best I've seen. I wish they had taken a few features and exaggerated them even further. They didn't push it far enough. If Sonic's shoes were just a little longer. Sonic runs, so I think it's only appropriate to exaggerate the feet than what the SU model had. Though it will never happen, I wish he would have no irises. Just pupils. I think without the color softening the eye, expression is immediate, even uncomfortable at times if his pupils were to smear towards your direction in a close up. Nose could be a little longer. Just a smidge.

The worst model of "new" Sonic by far is the Sonic Riders model, looking even worse in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. I thought all the wrong parts were emphasized to the point where there was no emphasis in the design, taking away its clarity. When you make the shoes that high and the hands that big and the face so bland? Ugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.