don't click here

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    No, everything that floats floats because Chuck Norris gave it a roundhouse kick.

2. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Fix'd

3. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    That was uncharacteristically retarded of you.

4. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    You say that as if nineko's post was less retarded.

5. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

Well... by a slight margin.

6. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Ah, yeah... didnt notice. Its my inner retard, we all have one of these sleeping... Come on! It was just a joke, its boring around here without any type of drama/jokes/new art/or who knows... and talking about physics in a 16 bit game isnt even worth it. Platforms fly. Ok, that's it.

This is not a 3D new gen game where all make sense (or at least, tries to) because of real life physics after all...

Edit; typo.

7. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    [​IMG]
    Here is some new art so Elratauru isn't bored anymore.

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Looks pretty good. I'd turn off the reflections, though, I don't think it is supposed to be made of glass.

9. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

Eh, I dunno. The first thing I notice is that all the purple parts look really flat.

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Am I the only one who saw that and instantly thought Spring Yard?

And yes, the purple does look flat. So, MaximusDM... how's that personal learning experience called lighting coming along? ;)

11. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Spring Yard has a very similar color scheme, it is just swapped from background to foreground. I wanted to do some Sonic 1 levels but looking at them seemed so bland with no real point of interest.

I tried using more ambient light as I think Gambit suggested, but it does give it more of a flat look. This was rendered in two layers, the foreground and background. The back posts were then darkened in photoshop. But maybe its better that it looks flatter? I don't know.

12. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

I just remembered something. Remember that Death Egg mock-up that inspired the whole project in the first place? Well, that guy did a CPZ mock-up as well. It might be useful for some inspiration.
    [​IMG]

13. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

I'd like it better if he used classic Sonic instead.

But it's still kinda cool.

14. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Looking at the CPZ background there and part of the platform on the right, I'm like 99% sure those are just the original sprites with some filters, blurring, and fog to mask it up a bit more.

15. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Forum has been pretty dead lately, I'm assuming everyone is just as busy with finals as I am.
    Here is some more Oil Ocean.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Awesome stuff, each time I see a new pic by MaximusDM I am speechless.

17. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    Methinks there needs to be a slight bit more contrast between the shadows and mid-tones, as the blocks seem to blend all too easily.

Otherwise, a very good concept render. :thumbsup:

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That looks so awesome, as usual...

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Great concept MaximusDM.

20. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Great work! I don't suppose you would be willing, however, to create a full scene rather than the small chunks of foreground objects, would yah? Depending on the quality, it could make all the difference in seeing what the level might look like in HD; these renders of foreground objects give somewhat of an idea, but a render that showed many different aspects of the level - the oil, foreground objects and items, background objects, and so on - would assist artists in getting ideas on what to work from, as well as suggest a potential style for the level in general.

If you'd rather not, though, I could always use the excuse to create something for my sonic wallpapers thread.