don't click here

My Sonic 1 Hack

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by ComPro, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    I have decided to start a hack of Sonic The Hedgehog 1. Right now, it is nothing more than a slight level layout change in Green Hill Zone Act 1.

However, I am already running into some troubles. I placed a "loop-the-loop", and when I have Sonic run around it, he falls out when he reaches the top.

Seeing that I am a turd when it comes to hacking, I'm not quite sure why this is happening.

Would any of you guys be able to assist me?

Thanks,
    ComPro

2. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I've been able to recreate the same effect somehow in Sonic 2... I don't remember why... might even have been in Sonic 1 and been the same thing. I dunno, quite frankly.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    If I remember correctly from my Sonic 1 hacking days, in GHZ there are two sets of loops, one that works, and another that dosen't. Try using the other loop.

That's because Sonic 2 uses a tag objects to switch between the high plain and the low plain. If you don't place these tag objects in the corect locatons then the loop will not work. Sonic 1 does not use a tag oject.

4. ComPro

ComPro

I tried using the other loop, and with that one, Sonic couldn't even enter it.

5. ComPro

ComPro

I fixed the problem. It appears that there are 4 loops in the game, of which at least two don't work.

I fixed that and also did a little palette editing. Here's a screen from my hack. Comments, good or bad, would be nice.

-ComPro

Attached Files:

6. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    Good, so far. I'll be awaiting the first release.

7. ComPro

ComPro

Here is Tie-Dyed Sonic Alpha 1

Green Hill Zone Act 1 is the only level that has been changed, but just so you know, it is NOT AT ALL fully playable.

I'll be amazed if you can get to the end of Act 1 without debug. It's not necessarily hard, but the level layout is so incomplete that it is impossible to get any farther.

I just wanted to share what I've done so far so I can get some input and so you can see my current progress.

-ComPro

http://compro.vektah.com/tiedyesonic.bin

8. The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Never really posted Member
    Flash Animations
    The checksum on the rom is not right, thus it is generating the redscreen error for me. I went ahead and fixed it on my version, and right now its not a big deal considering you are still working on it, but when you finally do release another version, it would helpful to the others to fix it. ;)

Anyways, the game so far looks good, but as you said, there still a lot of work to be done. The pallet looks ok, but the level layout requires a lot of work. There are several holes (caused by the unaligned tiles) which can cause sudden death (unless you purposefully did this). Still, it looks like it has potential, especially due to a small number of Sonic 1 hacks out there. Keep working on it! :(

9. ComPro

ComPro

I purposely left holes to make it more challenging.

As for the checksum error, I'll be sure to fix that for my next release.

I'm planning on releasing the next version after I've completed GHZ 1.

-ComPro

10. ComPro

ComPro

Is it possible to port music from Sonic 3 and Knuckles to Sonic 1? I'd love to have some of that music in my hack.

Thanks,
    ComPro

11. SM87

SM87

Pending Member
    It would take a LOT of skill but I think you might be able to do it ;)
    If your good at hex editing =P.

12. ComPro

ComPro

I've never really attempted hex editing before, however, I don't want that to stop me. I want Sonic and Knuckles music in my hack.

Where's a good site to learn about hex editing and everything?

Thanks,
    ComPro

13. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Look in the pinned topic on 68k resources. There's a hex primer there.

14. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    I am sorry, I don't think it is possible at the moment.

15. BtCE

BtCE

Correct. It is impossible for music from Sonic and Knuckles to be placed in Sonic 1. It would be almost impossible for music porting. You would have to actually edit the games music, and when I say edit, I mean manually change the notes. The tool they used to produce the music for each game was different. Yes, I know that Genesis Music runs on Z80 Processor, but the system in which the music was made was different for each game, therefor making it impossible/nearly impossible to directly port music. I believe the only know Music hack is Saxman's Jingle Bells Oil Ocean hack.

16. ComPro

ComPro

If anything, is it at least possible to port sprites from Sonic 3/Knuckles into Sonic 1? Those sprites, IMO, are the best-looking sprites out there and I'd love to have those in my hack.

Kinda like that Sonic 3-1 hoax I made.
    (credit to Poizon for the name)

Thanks,
    ComPro

17. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Working on a vulkan game engine for fun. Learning Ray-Tracing.
    Sonic 2 Omega is starting to have diffrent music.

This is the my better music changes.

Boss_music.mp3

This music should be in Omega in the next version.

18. BtCE

BtCE

Yes. With the use of a sprite editor, it is very possible to port sprites. Sonic 3 to 1 sprites have been done before. The only sprite editor I can think of at the moment is SonikSprite, which can be very annoying. Try Sonicology for other useful resources within game editing.

EDIT: .hack//zero, kudos for your attempt at this. It seems decent, and Sonic 2 Omega is already one of the hardest worked on hacks in existence. I wish you success.

19. Drakmyth

Drakmyth

Inspector Drakmyth Master at your service. Oldbie
    In the void beneath the ancient maze...
    Sonic Eclipse 2, Return of the Hidden Palace, Unnamed Sonic 2 Hack
    Didn't Sonic 2 Delta II have Marble Zone music in it? I know it's not music porting into Sonic 1 but it is music porting. Should you be able to just find the location of the music, copy the code, paste the code in the rom, and change a pointer? I don't have a clue on how to find the pointers for the music but shouldn't that work?

20. Samui

Samui

Ice Kitsune Oldbie
    I think Sonic 2 Beta uses a similar music format to Sonic 1...and if I remember correctly, they're both uncompressed, therefore making porting easier. Though, I could be really wrong, so don't take my word for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.