don't click here

Sonic Classic Collection

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Sonic Advance 2, but yeah. Hell, let's just wait awhile till we get more info.

2. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Yeah, but the Gamecube had the Gameboy Player, so that made sense, in a round-about way.

3. Mega Collection (2002 Nov) came before the Player (2003 Jun). It was more because both Advance 2 and SMC were on Nintendo consoles.

4. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Alright so it's a DS Collection. Now two theroies can be debunked

A. This is not going to be $99
    B. This is not on PS3

We'll have to see if that collection starts up. For now, this is about Nintendo DS crap. I for one think it'll be pretty fun to play games on a portable... that is if they do anything to fix the screen (Wouldn't that be great if they edited it to work like Sonic Rush on the DS?)

6. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Yeah, this is going to be no fun unless they fix the screen. Genesis emulators for the DS are *terrible*.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    If it's a good port with enhancements (ie. Tails & Knuckles in Sonic 1) and not crappy emulation, this could be decent... But no Sonic CD? >=(

8. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Well, that was enough information for a wiki article: Sonic Classic Collection

Also, the fact that a DS compilation is being released still does not rule out there being a PS3 compilation still in development.

9. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Might I mention that Sonic CD would be *huge* to put on a DS cartridge? What's the biggest DS flash card, 2gigabit right? So, like, 256MB? The music alone is almost that size, no?

I mean, trust me, I'd like it as much as you, but that's totally unrealistic. Plus, I mean, Genesis emulation has had a hard time getting a solid 30FPS on the DS with *intelligent* developers...and this is Sega we're talking about here...

10. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

I believe the ISO I have for Sonic CD on the Sega CD is around 180mb.

Also, I don't know what you're talking about, but JEnesisDS runs most Genesis games at 60fps.

11. Phredreeke

Phredreeke

Oldbie
    About the size of Sonic CD: The game isn't that big actually, most of it is just taken up by the music tracks (using standard CD-DA) and a few videos (which IIRC are uncompressed too)

Also, we're forgetting that Sega doesn't have to emulate it, they could just port it like they did for Sonic Jam on Saturn. (or did they lose the source code? I don't really remember :P )

12. Since this be a DS collection, I'm left wondering how SEGA plans to utilize the dual screens.

A level map would be nice.

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    JEnesis? I think Sega of Europe recently purchased the rights to the browser version of that emulator (for that PlaySega thing). So I guess it's defiantly possible that they are just going to use JEnesisDS.

JEnesisDS has a lot of problems though, like with layers and music. It also cant resize the screen because that would make it run slower. So I really hope they don't use it.

14. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    "Most" -- Alien Soldier for one needs the z80 to be faked/disabled.

Plus there's the awful workaround 'scaling' for the screen resolution that makes the graphics look ugly as sin. SNEmulDS scales the screen without problems, and NeoDS does it pretty much THERE IN YOUR FACE, perfectly. jEnesisDS is shit.

15. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Some of those are really nitpicky complaints.

16. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Okay, so even if you got the biggest (256MB) DS flash cartridge, which is crazy expensive for the developers, and I'm sure wouldn't be used for a quick cash-in minigame collection, then you've still only got a small amount of room to fuck with. I just don't see it as realistic.

As for JenesisDS, I only ever used PicodriveDS (and a year ago at that, I couldn't stand it very long, and I now have an Android phone which emulates the Genesis way better and includes Sega CD), which might be the reason I have a poor opinion of the speed of DS Genesis emulation, but the criticisms of the too-small resolution remain.

17. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Not when Sonic has half a fucking face when standing still they aren't. Next you'll defend Sonic Genesis for only having minor flaws.

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Really? I thought the DS could have games much bigger than 256 MB. At least 512MB I thought? I know flash carts can have at least 2GB...

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Like just about every DS game that does this that's a platformer, a level map would be utterly pointless. I have no idea what the extra screen would be used for, a problem that a notable number of DS titles has - maybe they'd store the HUD on it but even then that's not something strictly needed.

20. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Oh god. I see Sonic 1 GBA 2 coming, only they'll get to bastardize several games at once this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.