don't click here

Sonic Classic Collection

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I love how ridiculous this topic is, it's almost as bad as the needlemouse thread.

We got a leaked document. Likely prepared by one person. To go over at a staff meeting. Have we heard anything about it since then? Anything really tangible?

As for the BBFC thing, that definitely looks like a DS compilation cart. It says video next to dark brotherhood, so I'm likely to assume that they mean simply that it's an ad for the latest DS based Sonic game that doesn't have Mario in it.

I can't wait for some real meat to this discussion. If there really is a hundred dollar collection, I'll pick it up if it has all the core games, enough additional games, and some sort of packaging that makes it worth it (like a sonic shaped case lol).

2. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    guys if sega is really making another compilation with S1-3K then it's not going to be the fucking super awesome PS3 game goddamn THINK

3. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

That $99 thing is getting pretty out of hand. They put out Mega Drive Ultimate Collection, which had around 40 games on it for the price of a regular release, so unless this was some kind of limited edition box set with a statue, art book etc or a collection of multiple discs with a pile of the 3D games on it too, why would they charge that much? I think they just threw that price number out there as an example for the conference, not a requirement. That or the guy who wrote it down typoed. We don't know, do we? There's nothing. But yeah, a lot of conclusion jumping going on here.

4. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    This, is the right awnser to this thread at the moment, you lot are all bitching like a baby and we don't even know if this is the 99 dollar collection, and I highly doubt it is.

Having the classics on 1 cart on the DS though is quite cool, maybe most people here don't need such a thing but there are people out there who will buy it, and so sega make it.

5. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Considering how some of those leaked games can be bought for less than 10 bucks or something on Xbox Live Arcade, I'll assume there's more to it than that, and will reserve a comment on a Sonic Collection until official details are announced.

6. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The resolution was too small for Sega Smash Pack GBA, but Sega worked around that by cropping part of the screen.

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I remember playing Golden Axe on the GBA smash pack, somehow when I died once, instead of respawning, I was able to control an enemy until I died again.

8. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie
    Still not especially ideal, as on the DS you're hacking off 64 pixels wide and 32 tall. They can't hope to run Genesis games at 1:1 pixel res in that box and not compromise the gameplay, even with shrunken HUD font. I guess they could engineer some kind of filter that compresses the display from 72 pixels per inch to 57.6, which...looks kinda decent if blurry.

The PSP would be more than capable (480x272 beats the Genesis handily) but then if it were for that, Digital Eclipse Backbone would almost certainly be behind it...

9. Vangar

Vangar

If there are different level layouts on EVERY Sonic megadrive game. Then maybe it's worth $20.

10. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Clearly it was your character's spirit possessing the body of that enemy.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

11. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Well, let's consider all the options as to where a collection like this would go.

The Wii? Virtual Console. Nobody really releases game collections on the Wii anymore, especially not of games that can be translated to the VC easily (or are already on VC).

Xbox 360? Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, plus XBLA releases (recent ones, at that).

Playstation 3? UGC again, plus it just doesn't make sense to waste an entire Blu-ray on four games and a couple of videos. Nevermind that there's no way in hell Sony would allow a trailer for a Nintendo DS game to show up on one of their products.

Playstation Portable? Unless Sega is secretly planning an up-rezzed port of Dark Brotherhood to PSP, it's unlikely. You would think that if that were the plan, it would have been brought up in the leaked Sony memo.

So what does that leave us? Playstation 2? iPhone? PS2 once again goes in to the "No way Sony is going to advertise for a competing handheld" and iPhone would benefit more from individual releases like VC/XBLA. I doubt this is for the PC, either, considering there's PlaySega.

That leaves us at the logical deduction that this is a Nintendo DS product. Sonic Chronicles may not be new, but that's never stopped a collection before - Gems had a trailer for Sonic Heroes. As for resolution, the DS runs in a higher resolution than the Gameboy Advance did, and the Gameboy Advance saw a (very shitty) port of Sonic 1.

It is not out of the realm of possibility for them to use a Sega Genesis emulator, hide the HUD, and then just draw a separate, smaller HUD (like Sonic 1 GBA) overlayed on the emulator output.

12. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I'd like to mention that if the giant compilation that was hinted at is coming out for Sonic's 20th, it wouldn't get a rating for a while yet.

13. There's been plenty of compilations of games that be otherwise VC and XBLA fodder. I wouldn't use the logic of them being able to sell the games digitally as a way to rule out this game coming to those platforms.

14. TheGreen1

TheGreen1

Just read about it online, about it not including Sonic 3 with Knuckles (The Sonic 3 Lock-On game).

All I have to say to that is... screw this. You can't emulate Lock On Technology for the game? Don't give me that crap. People have been playing the rom for years. I've got one word for this pile of bull I'm getting from these guys... "LAZY".

I'd be fine without Sonic 2 locked on to Sonic and Knuckles (That damn Echidna can't jump period) but Sonic 3 & Knuckles missing? That's an insult. Was thinking about this game, until I saw the news that the locked on Sonic 3 game wouldn't be included. I mean, honestly, there's a Xbox Live Arcade release for this game, but not on this compilation? We're getting screwed over.

God, I'm so insulted.

15. Vangar

Vangar

Don't even think about it. If people buy ANOTHER compilation Sega will get away with it again and we will See compilation number 34 on the next console.

16. TheGreen1

TheGreen1

Sorry, but the reason I even considered it in the first place, was due to this main special feature: "Wide-Screen View". I own a wide-screen monitor, and I'd love to pay my Genesis games in wide-screen. Though, I could simply just play them on an emulator, I'd like to earn achievements and post my score on leader-boards thank you.

However, I do agree with you on this. Compilations are too overdone. If you're going to sell me a game I've already played, at least add new features. Wide-Screen was a start, of course. + - But no Sonic 3 & Knuckles turned me off from this game faster than a Hooker with an Adam's Apple.  

17. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I'm pretty sure that's Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

18. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I think he's referring to Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, which is decidedly short of "ultimate", to which not having lock-on games played a small part.

19. I think it's going to be for a Nintendo console, considering it is going to have a sonic chronicles trailer. And I say a Nintendo console instead of plain DS because didn't one of the sonic collections for gamecube have sonic advance game play? Correct me if I'm wrong.

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    As I've said before they marketed that one so wrong it's not even funny. Then again I guess aside from Sonic the Genesis never was as celebrated as the SNES.

Still, I may look into seeing how much it's dropped in price on eBay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.