don't click here

Music Remastered

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think the final drum beat needs to be a SLAM, quite loud, and it will be perfect. Next we'll just need to see how it meshes with the Zone music.

2. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Due to being insanely busy the last few days, I haven't been able to comment on your progress Compsense. The versions are showing improvement, and definitely have a better sense of urgency now. I'd like to see more emphasis on the first and slightly less on the second. Not so much adjusting the attack on the first as a small increase in volume, and a slight decrease in the attack on the second note.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That sounds better, but I'd drop the violins at the very end, completely.

They sound cool, yes... in a terror movie. =|

4. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    I thought it sounded great with the violins at the end. Shouldn't it sound like it comes from a terror movie? After all, it's literally the last seconds of your life, before you drown...

5. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    Totally agreed. I think it sounds awesome and is completely fitting.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  7. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Beat you to it :eng101:

8. scubaSteve

scubaSteve

Sonic 2HD - Music Coordinator Member
    OH, US
    I'm gonna have to side with ICEknight here... A stab at the end is fine, but to me the specific style you're using sounds distinctly out of place for a Sonic game.
    Also, to give it some more intensity, I would try placing the percussion (timpani, sounds like) much closer - that is, tone down the reverb levels and brighten them up a little. Possibly widen their stereo image somehow, too.
    I'd like to hear this fixed as well - the higher octave notes are a bit too prominent.

9. SFtheWolf

SFtheWolf

Remixing music from a number of Genesis Sonic games
    I agree with this. I like the timpanis, I like the strings sliding upward. I don't like the lack of bass, the weak ending, and how blurry the strings get in the faster section. I also don't think something purely orchestral would fit a largely synth driven soundtrack.

Unrelated, new Oil Ocean WIP: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3062838/

Intro instruments and snares are still going to be improved (less weak and whiny sounding in particular). Percussion in the third verse is just a rough sketch. Other than that this should give a reasonable example of the final product.

Agree/disagree? Other thoughts?

10. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    LOL, it's pretty cool but it reminds me more of Quake 3 or something than it does Sonic :v:

11. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

If you're looking for a good way to contribute SFtheWolf, I'd not recommend trying to tackle OOZ or Metropolis. We've already got phenomenal pieces for those that are all but set in stone for inclusion in the final release. That said, if you're just looking for practice then by all means continue to refine your current version.

12. And which would those be? (by who, where?)

13. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
  14. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Come on now, they're linked in the OP. Yes, I actually went through and updated that. And not just recently either.

15. SFtheWolf

SFtheWolf

Nobody told me this when I first started posted about working on it ages ago.

Should I still finish the Death Egg you liked or not bother?

16. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Go right ahead.

17. SFtheWolf

SFtheWolf

I find that interesting. I wasn't interpreting Oil Ocean as being anything other than an imposing, industrial sprawl out in the middle of nowhere, but perhaps that has led me astray stylistically. I'm going to try to get it a little less "in your face" for the next version while hopefully retaining all or most of the grit.

18. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

UPDATE

New music goals -- Sweet Dreams/Ending Theme, Staff Credits, Hill Top Zone

We've already had a few submissions for HTZ, but none so far have been mind-blowing. Steveswede, I put yours up in my list when it was asked for, so I'd encourage you to continue work on your piece. You've all heard my spiel on the staff credits enough by now, but not so much on the ending theme. There's only been one decent submission for it on the database (courtesy link), but I know there's enough talent to far surpass it.

And a Happy Thanksgiving to all our American contributors! :)

19. I'll admit, I'm only watching this topic (I have no technical knowledge whatsoever) but it would be nice if someone made a .zip file that contained all the remixed/remastered music -- most of the links are broken or useless for me. Please and thank you, and I'll probably write reviews on the tunes.
    That's all I wanted to ask. :)

-AndyMan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.