don't click here

Sonic Adventure prerelease photos

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dude, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    [​IMG]
    This image right here has the caption "This many people never appear onscreen in the final". In fact, that amount of people never occurred onscreen at all ingame. It's a prerendered image. You can tell by looking at the shadows - level objects are casting shadows (not possible in the adventure engine) and the people aren't casting the usual plane-mapped circle shadow, they're casting polygon shadows (also not capable in the adventure engine). The smooth polygon shading also doesn't match the adventure engine's.

[​IMG]
    This screenshot only shows me one thing, and that is that at one point during development, level models faded into existence once they reached the beginning of the draw distance zone - look at the long road path stemming from the side of the building in the upper left hand corner. Notice you can see the fencing for the sides of the path, but the actual road surface has faded out and then back in. My only reasoning for this feature being removed (as it visually is much more subtle and pleasing) is that it must have been too processor intensive to maintain a steady framerate. Not that sonic adventure had a a steady framerate to begin with.

2. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    A lot of subtle tidbits being noticed lately. Nice find! :v:

Well, maybe not an actual find, but you know what I mean.

3. Vangar

Vangar

That first render might have something to do with rendering during the intro sequence. At least with the same engine used. - There are a lot of people walking around and they cast proper shadows in the intro.

4. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    [​IMG]

What about the fact that Tails is in Speed Highway? :v:

Edit: meant Sonic's Speed Highway.

5. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Speed Highway's his final stage, so I don't see anything wrong with that. :psyduck:

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Tails' last level is Speed Highway.

EDIT: Beaten

7. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    The white lines on the roads of Station Square also bizarrely overlap character shadows in the final, like floating textured planes (or at least, they do in DX. The original probably does it too), so I guess that's more evidence for the first picture being pre-rendered.

8. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City

Yes, but this is a mangled version of Sonic's Speed Highway, with the platform escalator, halfpipe tracks and the Helicopter.

9. BlueSatoshi

BlueSatoshi

Aspiring Game Designer
    Glendale, CA
    Contest Entry
    Speaking of the prerelease, didn't some of the characters originally look closer to their Sonic R forms during early development?

10. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City

Yeah, I saw a VERY old video of Sonic's R model going through a loop and off a ramp like the last one in Emerald Coast, but the area looked like Windy Valley. I'd love to see it again if someone has a youtube link.

11. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    You wouldn't happen to be thinking of that old Sonic GL video, would you?

12. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

[​IMG]

Yes.

13. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Yes; look at the final's Sky Chase models.

14. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    There was some artwork from SA1 which was the 3d models but all joints were in chunks, like that faster sonic image above, look at his arms.

I would think they found a better way to make the model joints better before release, but some stuff still uses that sausage arm sonic, even the end CG photos I think.

15. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Nope, but the similarities are scary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.