don't click here

The Seventh Annual Sonic Hacking Contest Results!!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Boom and Blue blocks. Can't wait to play them. :)

2. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    I eagerly await the final releases of Sonic Boom and Blue Ball and Blocks. They have to be good, but of course, don't raise expectations. :P

Also: What's the status of Dustin Wyatt's Epic Adventure?

3. ExecByte

ExecByte

Ohio
    Sonic: The Lost Worlds
    Sweet! 2 trophies for me! I was hoping for the Windy Valley Trophy, but I didn't know if I'd really get it! And, Labyrinth Trophy? I didn't see that one coming!

Good contest! I gotta download some of these other hacks!

4. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    But Sonic and Friends isn't.
    This was a great contest and it was good to be involved with it. Oh and you will enjoy playing Sonic Boom when it's released.
    By the way, the results have been posted on the wiki for a week, they can be found here and you can fix my mistakes if you have to.
    Ayla forgot that Penis Special Stage ended up becoming a runner-up for the Maze Trophy. :O

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Great contest guys!

I downloaded the recording, popped it on my MP3 player and had a listen, and I have to say it was hillarious lol, as for all contest trophy winners, congratulations, all your hard work has payed off and I hope to see a few of them winning hacks pop onto the board sometime so we can see what all the awesomeness is about.

6. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    There is only one level complete. It's an excellently designed level, speed is a central element of the game, and it has a polished feel that Megamix never achieved. I ran into no collision errors in Sonic Boom, something that never happened with Megamix. Megamix's boss battles pale in comparison to Boom's and the third act is purely a surprise.

It was not my intention to hype this game and, honestly, I realized five minutes into broadcasting the results that Boom was about to get hyped to no end. I, as well, am not one to believe in hype. When someone hypes up a game for me, I set extremely high expectations and I wind up being disappointed. This has led to some winners in past contests that others would not agree with, simply because they overhyped what it was. Sonic Boom surpassed my expectations. It may or may not surpass yours. In the end, judging comes down to personal taste. Choosing between Retro Remix and Boom was hard for me, but I'm forced to grade each hack on how it would appear upon completion to be fair.

Simply put, go ahead and be skeptical. I was. If you're disappointed, then you are. I wasn't, and Sonic Boom won the contest.

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    There were a lack of some hacks that have entered in the previous years (such as Megamix, Advanced Edit and Sonic 1: Extended Edition) but it doesn't matter. So a hack that hasn't been released to the public won stuff, does it matter? Blue Balls and Blocks hasn't had a release in a long time and that won a lot of trophies.
    I think Ayla said in the podcast that hacks that have been permitted to be released in some form will be available whenever. Some hacks might not be there, but they might have releases eventually.

8. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    I successfully defended my own trophy? Mission accomplished! :colbert:

It's frustrating that we don't get to play some of the winning hacks, but I'm confident they deserved their trophies as all the other winners certainly did. This has been an amazing contest, with a standard higher than anything we've seen before. I can hardly imagine what kind of quality hacks we'd be missing out on if this contest didn't exist, so big thanks to Ayla and the judges for another job well done!

9. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I have a question to the Bar Admin trophy: Can any hack win this trophy or only hacks that won a trophy in the last contest?

10. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    Your defense of your trophy was more than adequate. I'm striving to set the bar higher with my contests from here on out and this contest was only the beginning. SSRG has agreed to host a website dedicated to the hacking contest, which is where you'll have access to hacks from previous contest winners (barring any that aren't allowed to be released such as S1EE and Sonic Boom, of course). I've been promising banners to contest winners for years and I'm going to try and negotiate something with the retro staff to see if we could somehow incorporate trophy winners into user posts. The list goes on and on, and I'll be sure to need as much help as possible, but details on that will be released when I make the post concerning hacking contest 8.

Only hacks that have entered in a previous contest (does not matter which one) can win this trophy. They don't necessarily need to have won any trophies in any past contests.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Not true, we also have a title screen: <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic Boom (hack)" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Sonic Boom (hack)</a>! :v:

I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt from the VGM that was played on the results podcast, but you can see how something that so little is known of has won so much could give people doubt.

12. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Tweaker posted a few tracks in the Genesis Music Thread a few times, that could tide you over for now, but you just have to find them.
    Be patient please. :O

13. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I've played a build or two, and I can confirm that Sonic Boom is extremely well put together. However, it simply wasn't to my personal tastes at all; I'd say anyone being skeptical about the hype is right to do so, but really ought to wait -- it is different enough to surprise you, possibly even in a good way.

Although I'll concede that it fucking deserves that Piano Trophy for sure. <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.