don't click here

Did all of Sonic 3 And Knuckles Take place in Angel Island?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TailsAddict, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TailsAddict

TailsAddict

BANNED Oldbie
    I was wondering this since I was 10 or something. Since Angel Island Zone is linked with Hydrocity via tunnel, and Marble Garden via geyser.

Im sure these are all the Levels that take place in Angel island.

*S3 Stages

Angel Island Zone
    Hydrocity
    Marble Garden

*S&k stages

Mushroom hill
    Sandopolis
    Lava Reef
    Hidden Palace
    Sky Sanctuary Zone could be considered part of Angel island since it hovers above it.

(Carnival Night Zone, Ice Cap Zone, And Launch Base Zone could still be a part of angel island but Im not sure.)
    Its amazing how massive Angel Island was, is

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    The whole thing except Death Egg and Doomsday took place on Angel Island.

3. TailsAddict

TailsAddict

BANNED Oldbie
    Really? I was thinking of Icecap Zone, Carnival Night Zone, Launch Base Zone to not be a part of it, since There is hardly any ice, or urban areas in angel island. But that was just an observation. Crazy how big it really was

4. Flygon

Flygon

I just figured Ice Cap was another name for 'Gigantic mountain with a lake around it' personally.

I just figured Carnival Night and Launch Base were built by Robotnik.

Even the man himself needs a way to be entertained. :v:

5. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I've always found this particularly confusing, especially because the Floating Island can be seen in the BKG of Sky Sanctuary Zone when played as Knuckles. You are clearly transported UP to Sky Sanctuary from Hidden Palace - but if HPZ takes place on the ground, and the Island is in the air... and wouldn't SSZ have to be on a different Island that also floats? It makes my head hurt, always has.

6. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    The island is called the Floating Island, the coast is called Angel Island.

7. Amistat

Amistat

As far as I know the whole Island is Angel Island, "The Floating Island" was a different regional name that was rubbed out the same way Dr Robotnik was.
    The whole game is on Angle Island apart from the Sky Sanctuary which is a separate smaller island nearby (holy ground, secret ruins etc, easy to keep people away if the only entrance is through another off-limits area; Hidden Palace).
    Death Egg and The Doomsday are also obviously not on the island itself.

And everyone knows that Carnival Night was built by three brothers who looked suspiciously like Mario :v: Man Fleetway was freakin' awesome :p

8. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    They sure should have known about that fault line, though.

9. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    you want to elaborate on that one?

10. Amistat

Amistat

In some places Robotnik was, well, Robotnik and in others he was Eggman, Eggman has been chosen as the "official" one now that everything is unified with Robotnik taking a backburner and only being used occasionally.
    Similarly for Angel Island; it was called Angel Island in some countries and the Floating Island in others. Angel Island appears to have been chosen as the official name now, as indicated by such phrases as "Angel Island is falling again" in Sonic Adventure, surely they're not just talking about the coast of the island?

At least, that's what I thought.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    In Sonic Adventure, they started calling it Angel Island here too, just like Robotnik switched to Eggman.

Nobody said that the teleporter was only going straight up, so I would say that the entire game except Sky Sanctuary (at least Knuckles' part), Death Egg and The Doomsday are on Angel Island. Eggman obviously made Launch Base around the Death Egg's original crash site to be his base of operations, and Carnival Night... well, look at EggmanLand, he likes amusement (and death traps).

12. Well, Angel Island is pretty big, so there was enough place for entire S3K. Also, Eggman builds things very fast, thanks to his robot army. I don't understand one thing - how Death Egg managed to gain height so fast? I mean, it have engines on the bottom, but there is nothing to plug it's face out of Hidden Palace. Or Master Emerald just levitated Death Egg?

13. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    A very very big crane...

Or, magic.

14. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    I think it's generally accepted that it all takes place on the island except the last 2 zones. I think Sky Sanctuary floats above the island, and evidently you further away from the island as you progress from the stage (to travel to the death egg?)
    The japanese manual has most of the zones on a diagram of the island in the background.
    And yeah, Angel Island is massive. Apparently it's like the size of an entire continent, dunno if that's true of the games but it is in Archie.

15. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK

Sonic 3 Resort Island
    I think every stage takes place on Angel Island. With the exceptions of Flying Battery, Sky Sanctuary, Death Egg and Doomsday.

16. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Ah, flying battery, I forgot about that one! :O

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Everyone did, it seemed. If I had caught this thread when I woke up I'd probably have posted a snarky image macro.

18. Dehry

Dehry

Ohio
    It definitely took place on Angel Island up until Sky Sanctuary Zone. If you look at this picture of Angel Island, you can see Sandopolis Zone on the left and the ruins on the right is Marble Garden Zone.

[​IMG]

This is the background for the Sonic and Knuckles title screen. This area matches up with the waterfall / pyramid area on Angel Island Zone.

[​IMG]

< :words: >
    My take on it is that Sonic and Tails land on the right hand side of the island and climb through Angel Island Zone up waterfalls and Knuckles knocks them off. The waterfalls drain into Hydro City. After finding their way through the zone, they are propelled upwards towards Marble Garden Zone. In Marble Garden, the boss takes place in the air. My guess is that Carnival Night Zone is over the mountain ridge. It is dark there either because it is in the shadow of the mountain or just night time. At the end of the level, Sonic and Tails are shot out of a cannon into the air. In the original S3 (level select) order they would land on Flying Battery, which they would ride to Ice Cap Zone, most likely the high peak in the center. Since Flying Battery was moved, they simply landed in Ice Cap. Sonic and Tails snowboard, slip and slide down the mountain. Eventually they find a (snow filled) tunnel and end up in Launch Base Zone (The weird structure to the upper left of the pyramid. Keep in mind this is seen after the Death Egg launch. I think the developers forgot that the Death Egg crash landed and overlooked it.) Sonic and Tails then fight their way through Launch Base and take out Robotnik. The Death Egg doesn't get very far and crash lands into the mountains next to Sandoplolis. Sonic and Tails fall into Mushroom Hill Zone after watching the Death Egg crash in the distance. They head towards it and meet Robotnik along the way. After defeating Robotnik, he escapes to Flying Battery. Sonic and Tails jump on and after Defeating him on his airship, they land in Sandopolis. They continue through the pyramid and fall through a secret entrance into Lava Reef Zone. Once they enter Lava Reef Zone they find that the Death Egg had crashed there. Robotnik continues to go deeper into the cavern after being defeated, leading into Hidden Palace Zone where he steals the Master Emerald. Knuckles realizes he was tricked and helps Sonic and Tails get to the Death Egg through a shortcut in Sky Sanctuary Zone. Robotnik was prepared though and launches Metal Sonic to stop Sonic and Tails at all costs. This fails and the duo make their way onto the Death Egg. Sonic and Tails then destroy the death egg and Robotnik tries to escape. Sonic chases Robotnik into space and recovers the Master Emerald. He returns the emerald to Knuckles and everyone is happy the end.
    </ :words: >
    tl/dr they never leave Angel Island until Sky Sanctuary/Death Egg

19. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  20. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Bad diagram to the rescue?
    [​IMG]

Thread Status: