don't click here

More Sonic 2 GG beta

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Adamis, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Taken from french magazine "Consoles +" #11 from July/august 1992:

[​IMG]

Gimmick Mountain boss with Robotnik in a Green Hills-like level?

2. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    And rings to boot. If little rocks didn't fly down when he hit...that boss is easy. Almost like a FIRST BOSS.

Also check out those trees. They aren't like that in the final, right?

3. Eddo

Eddo

I think the life icon is changed, too.

4. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Epic new scan. It's a suprise to see a boss of a mechanical level in that level instead. Also the trees are different.

5. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I'd like to note the HUD size compare to the actual sprite size.

Mock ups anyone?

6. Definitely: The final versions life icon is based off the 16-bit versions life icon.

One other thing I noticed is that the death sprite in the picture with the boss is from Sonic 1 MS, rather than the one used in the final version.

7. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    Other crap:

*Note that the ring counter is formatted like the timer (0:00). There's no ring graphic like in the final.
    *All of the screens have the same ring count (0:00), time (1:33), and lives (3).

8. Malgra

Malgra

Studium Member
    Mockups imo. Interesting though, that they experimented with a different life icon and unusual looking GHZ trees. The bosses wouldn't be much of a challenge if they'd kept the idea of having rings in third acts. I wonder if they were going to keep Robotnik present during the boss fights...

Interesting theory. Clearly GHZ was one of the earlier stages they worked on, I wonder if it was ever going to be the first zone.

9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Interesting scan, Adamis.
    I wonder, maybe Robotnik was present at other boss battles as well?

10. Mikel

Mikel

Pretty interesting scan, Adamis.
    And I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Laughing Eggman sprite at all, since that sprite was never in the final version.

Well, most of the Sonic sprites in Sonic 2 GG/MS are exactly the same as the Sonic 1 MS sprites, except for the Death Sprite which you already mentioned, and Sonic 2 GG/MS added a couple of new sprites using the Sonic sprites from Sonic 1 MS as a base specifically for zones like Sky High, and Aqua Lake.

11. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    This is so interesting. It's actually the first time I've ever seem any reference to early developments of the 8 bits version of Sonic 2.

Unfortunately, much like Sonic 2's Dust Hill Zone's "screenshot", these are just mockup images, cleary evidenced by the size of the numbers in the HUD, the obvious appearence of the 'time 0:00, rings 1:33, lives 3' in every "screenshot", and the incorrect positioning of the sprite of Sonic's object, way aways to the left and far from the center. About the Green Hillishy image, Granted, in the boss fights, the screen locks, so that could be real, but in that image, Sonic is dying while the rings are still on screen. There's a delay between getting hurt and been able to be killed (well, unless you are playing Sonic Adventure, but that's another story). The Sky High Zone image is the one that looks more authentic to me, but the HUD gives it away.

A nice finding nonetheless.

12. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The beta maps of green hill zone show the palm trees also.
    <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Game Development:Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8-bit)" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Game Development:Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8-bit)</a>

13. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Also in the Underground Zone screen, the Sonic sprite in the cart is not seen in the actual game.

14. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Ever try holding down while in a minecart?

e: fuck me it is different

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    And I don't recall the wheels sparking in the final version.

16. Endri

Endri

Oh, wow. By looking at the maps, it looks like Green Hills Zone was supposed to be a remastering of the original Sonic 1 8-bit Green Hill. They both share similar level layouts. Neo Green Hill anyone? =P I guess that's why they've added a 'S' to zone's name, making it different, while it means the same thing.
    Me neither. =P

17. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Nope, it doesn't. I had to look for myself.

[​IMG]

18. Endri

Endri

That's reminds me, I found a store selling GameGears for 5 bucks. I'm consider getting one. Sonic 2 was in the package's screen image. What a tease.

In my local currency, though, it worths about 15 bucks. Damn, I miss the times when 1,00 R$ was worth 1,00 U$.

19. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    To be fair I'd consider 15 to be still cheap for a Game Gear. I'd be more worried about the batteries.

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Honestly I think of the Nomad and Game Gear as being in the same category as the PSOne with the LCD screen add-on -- easily portable consoles that you'd still want to plug in and play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.