don't click here

Music Remastered

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    So long as the submitted product has a feel in line with the music guidelines, I don't much care how they're creating it. If the piece screams low quality MIDI, it's going to be fairly obvious and will need to be retooled accordingly.

2. It would be great if we could get Olivier Sirois (ubergrau) to do the ending theme, since she always wanted to do it.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh god, please make that happen.

4. Asher

Asher

Your Residentual Tattoo Designer And Pirate Member
    Ok, I just got a message back from that Bak.R guy saying

'Re: Hi, I have a big proposition for you Re: Hi, I have a big proposition for you Hi, it's very a great project. I ever think that sonic should be in 2D ^^, but in HD version.

I woul like to help you to do one of music or all of music ^^, I'm ok, I remix the version of the song you want, with better quality.

And if it can help me to do music for sega it'll be great ^^.

So I totaly agree.

Send me what you need ^^

Bak.R'

His english isn't the greatest, but he sounds excited.

5. We need to tell him to come to these forums. Provide a link to this thread.

Now then, we're going to have a massive problem if we want these two to join, because registering for these forums is way too much of a pain. Is there a way we can allow these two to bypass the hassle-filled procedures?

6. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    If they explain who they are and their purpose they should more or less get a free pass into the site. It seems like people that get referred by friends and such get this treatment, so why not these guys? Also, contributors in general probably get in as long as they're professional about it, I pitched myself as a contributor back in March and now look at me. :P

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah... it's not really a "pain" at all unless you consider following a couple of simple guidelines painful.

8. Asher

Asher

Your Residentual Tattoo Designer And Pirate Member
    I've linked both of them and told them the process, of being a pending member and everything, I'm sure they will be fine.

9. True, but what I mean is that it can take a while before you become a proper member. It makes joining father off-putting for some people. :)

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

So they show up as pending members for a bit. No big deal, it doesn't prevent them from posting links to their WIPs.

11. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    WHY. THE HELL. NOT?

ubergrau's Aquatic Ruin remix took the subtle latin elements of the tune and made them truly flourish like they should. Not only that, but the accompanying imagery is of the flavour I'd expect a proper remaster of the game to have visually. Listening to the rest of his compositions, s/he certainly has a good ear for the key themes used within the notes used and applies this expertly when choosing instrument sounds. Remember, Masato Nakamura was limited by the YM2612's synth; S2HD musicians should be aiming at making the the music as rich as is possible.

Sticking close to the source material is one thing, but sticking so close to it that it dampers anywhere interesting the project could go? That's just a damn shame.

12. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    I say, use any instruments you'd like and allow multiple verses using different instruments, but leave the tempo alone and don't add any new notes or melodies.

13. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Jayextee, take a look at the examples I and Gambit have repeatedly cited. Note how much those deviate from the original material. If that doesn't answer your question, as I doubt it will, let me elaborate. I have nothing against the pieces those musicians did. They're incredibly good. In -my opinion- I would like to see something created originally for this project that hasn't been used elsewhere, and has a more consistent feel than ubergrau's piece. I personally don't see it as something well suited to be looped continuously. The same thing applies to Sonic CD-esque version that was linked to here.

I don't expect to change your mind, but there's my reasoning for you.

14. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    I do say I like the whole underwater idea. Just my quick thought. :)

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    It's out of tune but nice try. top marks for your passion for learning an instrument for the sole purpose of a sonic tune.

16. It must be the soud fonts or something :psyduck: Can you be more specific? I think maybe it's the harmonica?

It's tricky but I'm getting there. Controlling the pitch bends is the hardest. I also think it's a cool instrument, not solely for playing this song :) I can play "I feel good" James Brown, and almost play "Walkin through the park" I forget who that's by... (Muddy Waters and Johnny Winter - google result)

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    It the harmonica that's out of tune.

18. I ditched the layered harmonica, now it's only one sound font. HillBilly Hill Top :P

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/7/18/251...%20Top%203c.mp3

Meh, Cinossu's is more stylish, but I like doing this stuff anyway. Mine's faster and doesn't have the wierd cymbals. Also has different organ and 3 brass parts at once not just 1 sax. I also changed the bass, can you tell? Also, I noticed my other one had the banjo silenced for a bit (FL Studio's fault). It keeps doing this, so I just transitioned to the previous section as that bit worked ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.