don't click here

What would make a good classic sonic game?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by tonic41, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    It's the fact that I've asked you, multiple times, to elaborate on an issue - and I've got no responses. That's what I had a problem with. It just got me upset that I was scolded for not elaborating on things I was saying, when I really wasn't saying ANYTHING, rather, I was trying to get you to elaborate. Either way, we all want different things out of a Sonic game, and no ones opinion is wrong. I know it wasn't you that said that, but I'm just saying in general.

2. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    And I, being the less than 100% attentive individual that I tend to be when browsing a forum about Sonic the Hedgehog, skimmed over your post and got to something that caught my eye. It wasn't arrogance, or anything else that should be taken personally for that matter.

On that note, if you want people to pay more attention to you, I'd recommend changing your avatar. Not that yours isn't 100% appropriate and all, but you want something that sticks out.

3. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

Cali
    A clever avatar won't answer my questions. Clever, attentive people can do that for me.

Or..well, or not. As is evident.

:psyduck:

Alas, I'm done with this thread. I gave detailed input on the topic long ago.

4. tonic41

tonic41

Sonic game code name? sonic classic
    you guys lost me... why are you fighing about... it must be a miss-under standing cause I don't see what the fuss is about.

5. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    He's annoyed that his request for clarification was overlooked. I'm pointing out that its easy to overlook newer members that haven't exactly made themselves instantly identifiable. I did provide full clarification on that two posts ago, but apparently he is still frustrated.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Whatever the case, can we get back to discussing the actual topic at hand? Maybe elaborating on the unoriginality thing? I dunno, man, something.

7. Sonic 4.

Wait, I have to elaborate? Okay, I agree with basically everything that everyone has said. Night guys. :P

8. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Again, the elaboration was two po- I mean three posts of mine ago. We were talking about art and character design mostly at the time, so I don't particularly want to try and explain what is and isn't original in the gameplay of the series (long story short, most gimmicks take inspiration from everything from Super Mario Brothers to the first three or four NES Mega Man titles and no doubt many others. Most of the level design however is pretty unique for most zones, but I'm sure that in some more than others that you'd find various borrowings whether they were deliberate or not), but as for the character design part, I think the image that posts the Felix the Cat justification is already in full view. I'll go ahead and add a quick color-reduced version of Mickey to the mix.

[​IMG]vs[​IMG]vs[​IMG]
    Thanks for the first two Phos.

But really, we've known about that for a very long time. The character was, after all, designed to be an instant icon. What they were competing against had already established that major triumph and that made it necessary to cheat a little to get back in the race.

Of course, all the traits they share in common are things that you'll see in just about every titular animal mascot from circular heads and bellies (hello <a href="http://web.singnet.com.sg/~francis1/doraemon%20%281%29.jpg" target="_blank">Doraemon</a>) to the lower facial color masking (Bugs says hi) to the gloves and the inexplicable need for gloves and everything else that goes into making a gold standard animal mascot. But Sonic doesn't have the ability to say he was one of the early ones to do it since Mickey Mouse predates the depression and Sonic doesn't even really predate the Internet (well, he does, but the ARPANET was around).

So to say the least, Sonic is a bit more of a chimera than an original design. And I'm not even going to get started on the alleged attitude which they used to define him stateside.

9. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

Cali
    The "attitude" thing is an interesting point. As far as the Mega Drive games go, I never really felt whatever "attitude" he was supposed to have. Maybe in some of the cartoons, yeah. Perhaps it was the complete lack of dialogue in the classics?

10. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    There are people who will argue with you until they are blue in the face on that one (primarily referencing the foot stomping idle animation, but Sonic has nothing on Commander Keen, who also predates him, in the idling animations department), but yes, I for one think the whole attitude thing was just overblown crap to appeal to the young's desire for edgy heroes.

Breaking it down, the whole of Sonic's origin was basically a calculated decision to make a character for the express purpose of popularity. In that sense, he isn't any different than Shadow the Hedgehog or Espio's redesign into a slogan thowing ninja. This is one of the reasons I get so bent out of shape whenever anyone starts harping on characters being the reason the games are bad.

11. Iapetus

Iapetus

Spinball Elitist Member
    I'd like to make a small contribution to this thread, although I realize it will be a tangent off our current discussion of Sonic's attitude and design.

I read most of the neo south science website. While I think the site is on the right track towards a more YU2-esque Sonic game, I definitely see that not a single sonic fan, hardcore or old school or whatever, will be able to agree on the right formula or method to a good Sonic game. Our interpretations of what makes sonic great is so varied it will be very hard to boil that down to one game. We had a really great Sonic era - 1, 2, S3K, CD, Chaotix - and every one of those games has their fans. No matter what formula we adhere to, someone is going to be disappointed. With this information, I think there is only one course of Action for Sega to take in order to appease the MOST fans, not necessarily all of them.

Make it like Sonic 2.

Before every Sonic fan throws eggs in my face, let me explain. Sonic 2 (16-bit) was the most successful Sonic game. Before Sonic Adventure and modern Sonic games, if you said "Sonic the Hedgehog" to anybody, they would think of Sonic 2. That was THE game they played. And almost everyone loved that game. Sonic Fans today will rip your ear off telling you why X-Sonic game is 10X better, but those are Sonic fans. I am talking about everyday people and gamers. Today, when you ask the average gamer what he thinks of Sonic, he laughs or cries. The image of Sonic has been tainted. I am not gonna bother explaining why, but perhaps the biggest reason is that X-Sonic game isn't like Sonic 2. The best selling Genesis/MegaDrive game of all time. From my understanding, that game defined the Genesis.

For those getting your egg cartons ready, hear me out. Sonic 2, in my opinion and others as well, is NOT the best game in the series. I would much rather they follow a formula closer to Sonic CD, but that would probably bomb. Plus, Sonic 2 is a great game - just cuz it isn't my favorite doesn't mean it isn't a fantastic romp. And S3K fantatics should understand that some gamers don't want really long games - look at Klonoa - and just want a quick, polished romp. Sonic 2 Delivers this.

So Sega, give Needlemouse the MegaMan 9 treatment. Make it look like a Sonic game drawn by Oshima. Make it sound like relic of that time period. Make the levels ridiculously fast and maybe short, but give them depth of variety and multiple paths. Give Sonic fans a jaw dropping special stage. Have Tails be there, maybe Knuckles too. Give the game that checkered flag motif that screams "Yes, I know I am a video game, so let's just have fun and Down+A these *****es." Heck, maybe do that magical dream team from before - the sublime union of US and Japanese programmers to make one fantastic game. What you make may not be the best Sonic game ever made, but it may be the revival fans and non-fans have been waiting for.

peace

12. Machenstein

Machenstein

Knuckles: "Sonic! Today we finish this!"
    Sonic: "Hey, Knuckles, why must I fight you! We are not enemies!"
    Knuckles: "Shut up!"

I think you mean Mega Man 9.

13. Iapetus

Iapetus

Spinball Elitist Member
    You are right, kind sir. Post edited.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Dear oh dear. XD Hilarious as this is, I could so see Sega doing that for the S3&K Knuckles fight if it had been made a few years later =P

15. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    Tails: These...seem tah be enehgy resowses. ...but ahve nevehr ceen enahgy like dis on erth. Whatevehr it is, we must not let it get intuh Docta Eggman's hands!

Also

Tails: E - SONIC

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Hey, Mega Man 8 actually looked pretty nice, man.

Don't be hatin'.

17. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I love Mega Man 8, poor voice acting and all. FLAME SWARD!

18. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Animated cut scenes were a nice touch, badly-acted or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.