don't click here

"Sonic Blast!": 9-minute Sonic mash-up

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by n00neimp0rtant, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
  2. Insert Coin(s)

Insert Coin(s)

Broletariat Member
    ???
    IT
    I want you to make music for my wedding.

3. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    Absolutely brilliant.

I'm dead honest when I say the next SSB game with Sonic in it should make this a custom track.

4. GameboyHero

GameboyHero

The amount of bullshit he has to deal with...poor Member
    TX
    Words cannot describe the heavenly bliss that I'm hearing.

5. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Um...

I'm sorry. I didn't really like it much. I mean I'm amazed that you found all these sound-alike tunes and I'm impressed by your efforts to sync them all up, but a lot of the mixtures sound downright cacophonous. There's a lot of places where the chords being played in one track don't mesh well with other tracks (too many to list, really). And it doesn't help that the audio gets cut off, making the volume modulate.

I hope that, even though it says "complete" in the title, that you'll continue to work on this, because a lot of the problems can be fixed pretty easily if you're willing to hunt down all the points in the song where it breaks down. I like this idea, I just want to see some better execution.

6. medj

medj

Pretty cool, but I would like to hear something like this but using only the music from the Genesis games :p

7. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    OH FUCKKKK! I just gave birth to your babies!

Although there were some nit picks here and there, overall your combinations were downright magical and gave me eargasm after eargasm of shocking sounds. It was interesting to see how several songs fit together (regardless of changing speed or pitch).

8. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    It'a amazing that these songs fit together. The synchronization itself is amazing.

That said, if you still have the multitrack sitting around, I'd recommend maybe mixing everything down to mono (or narrowing the channels a lot more) and panning things around so songs don't just disappear into the abyss. Then, work on normalizing the volume for everything.

Also, it seems like everything is playing too fast; maybe slow that back down some? Beyond that, it's incredible.

9. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Definitely a lot great mash-up choices there. I got pretty messy whenever there were more than two songs and also when the songs both had their own strong leads trying to overpower each other, but non the less, I'm glad I heard it. Thanks.

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Okay for the first 7 seconds or so I was totally getting into this...then it suddenly got kinda cacophonous. It's okay I guess but there are a lot of points where it just breaks down and really does not work. It's still interesting, though. I got a fair chuckle from it.

While listening:

Some of the pitch-modifications make the songs sound a little off, too. Like the Sonic CD US Palmtree Panic good future.

And the Carnival Night + a couple songs from Sonic 2 is a prime example of what I don't like.

Huge Crisis + GGS2 Boss + Open Your Heart is kinda cool but I feel the beat got lost somewhere.

Also, you didn't play Adabat day with that section from the S&K miniboss? Really, now. Especially since you put them so close together. And no Metropolis + Death Egg S&K either? For shame.

Azure Lake + Spagonia doesn't really fit around the middle of it.

In the end, not perfect but I certainly don't regret listening to it, as it kept me entertained through most of it.

11. corneliab

corneliab

Sky Sanctuary paired with Mission Street is a match made in heaven.

Great work.

12. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    I agree whole-heartedly with both the volume and panning stuff...I probably would have put a good bit more time into the crossfades if my headphones didn't break (stupid move-in day :( ). I appreciate the positive feedback I'm getting from this.

I still get chills each time I listen to that part.

13. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    In all honesty there were a couple that didn't sound that good, but for the most part, it was fricken awesome. Loved the part with Sky Sanctuary. Good job with this, I'd do more ^_^

14. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    SA Dr eggman and sonic 3 boss theme clash is fucking awesome :colbert:

15. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    QFT.

I love this section of the song. The whole thing is pretty awesome. Azure lake seems to fall offbeat though.
    overall, Great work, I look forward to seeing more of your work =P

Also, EHZ2P + Metal Harbour = Perfect. =P

16. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I liked mostly the parts with 2 songs mashed up together. Three is too much for me to handle, with the exception of Eggman's part (was it three at any point?) and perhaps the Open your Heart mash. I think the best parts are when a rock track is mixed with a complete 16-bit track.

This just reinforced my love for the Sonic CD main theme and Sonic Adventure soundtrack.

17. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    This is really really cool, but badly compressed, which gives it a noisy sound that's even worse because it's simply too noisy and too multi-layered sometimes for it to really work. So glad you didn't do it just from the Genesis games though because a huge chunk of the best Sonic music is from the post-Genesis era, IMO, while the games sucked terribly, the music has always continued to be great, with a few notable exceptions.

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    If this is gonna be one of those crappy... oh wait... Fuck me, THAT is awesome!

Sonic CD - Metalic Madness (Past)
    vs
    Sonic Rush - Water Palace

Loved that part =D

Seriously though, this is just as awesome as hell, I like how you've managed to fuse these tracks together make them fit almost perfectly (in alot of areas), it's a nice compilation of a mash up (as they say).

Would you by anychance be able to provide a high quality download link to this track?

19. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Wow, this is just amazing. It's amazing how the new can fit with the old (especially Sonic 3 boss theme and Dr. Eggman). Favourited!

I do agree with some of the sentiments posted prior, that at times, the music seems really too fast paced. Of course, this could be due to keeping up pace, but, overall, it's really well done. I tip my hat to you!

20. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Indeed it is, especially when Sonic 2 got in there.

Overall it has its hits and misses. You did good with what you had, though I bet you would have benefited with individual tracks for the songs mixed in. If you're willing to go through the effort, you could probably get that for the Genesis bits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.