don't click here

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Rework the top. The curls look silly and the orbs look fluffy.

2. Ok, thoughts and directions...

[​IMG]

3. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    Love it.

4. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    More on the marble texture first, weathering/cracking should come after that's taken care of.

5. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    The cracks in the pillar looks great and realistic.

6. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Great job, but the curly things at the top and the band in the center of the column still look fuzzy and stock art-y, if that makes any sense. I think it has something to do with the Blue-White gradient, it just looks unnatural.

7. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    Agreed with many others:

Perfection:
    Shape, cracking, and overall look and feel of the column

Mossy stuff at the bottom

Needs Work:
    Coloring of the curly part at the top (likewise, the part of the curl that's more flat under the dark spot, the shading under that could be a bit darker, I believe the curve is much less smooth).

The button things under the curly part, they need more perspective, the column is round. Not much more, but a bit more. I think the ones on your first posted attempt were more on the right track.

Else:

The marble texture isn't amazing, but I don't really have any problem with it. Perhaps a bit more perspective on it as well.

I know it's WIP, but just a reminder, don't forget the studs on the band around the middle.

So far, amazing amazing job! Several leagues ahead of sexy. It took the original sprite, expanded it to where it was still the same thing with the same feel, but with much more detail and life. This sprite IS S2HD. I love this column.

Keep making sprites like this and Aquatic Ruin is going to be a very beautiful zone.

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It is getting better at each revision, great job! :)

The main issue you need to fix, is in fact on the top part.
    It is like this art is split into a sharp vectored column, and an hand drawn softbrushed top.

I suggest you to revector the tops with perfect shapes, then add some material aging or crakles.

Keep it up with this good job! ^^

9. rctneil

rctneil

I pretty much agree with what has already been said. Looks great and with a few tweaks will be excellent!

10. This thhing is great, agreed with most of the comments on it.

But does anyone else think the band going round the center should be cracked? I have read in this thread some people think it is metal but personally I have always seen this pillar as one solid object, you all know that they're breakable (sometimes) and when you break them the band breaks as well, it doesn't just drop to the floor and disappear like I would expect a metal band to do.

Anyway those are my thoughts on it.

11. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I've found an excellent reference to help get that stone pillar look: http://40watt.biz/graphics/ - the rust one on there could be really useful for something else, too.

Not sure how happy he would be if someone copied his work, but I guess this is still just to give you an idea of what to go for.
    Resized it and put in imageshack:
    [​IMG]

You can see his full set of work here: http://thief.washboardabs.net/textures/ - which includes brick, metal, plaster, roof, ruined, stone, street, terrain, tile and wood textures!

I've also found this site to get some inspiration going:
    http://www.graniteplaza.com/column.htm

12. This thing is great, I agreed with most of the comments on it.

But does anyone else think the band going round the center should be cracked? I have read in this thread some people think it is metal but personally I have always seen this pillar as one solid object, you all know that they're breakable (sometimes) and when you break them the band breaks as well, it doesn't just drop to the floor and disappear like I would expect a metal band to do.

Anyway those are my thoughts on it.

13. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    What Growler posted up is the exact sort of texture work I think would be ideal for the pillar. I seem to be in the minority of people not completely thrilled with the extensive use of cracking in the current revision. Just seems too extreme for me. I think subtle cracks running along it would be a better fit.

14. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I'm not overly fond of all the cracks either. It looks like it would just fall apart the second you land on it. Of course, some of them are supposed to fall apart when you hit them, so eh. Basic rule should be that it has to look like it can support you if it's supposed to.

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I agree with Canned Karma. To me it's too extreme and is fugly. The pic Growler has put up is the kind of finish I am hoping for.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I was just going to point that out, it's way too bad-future-ish.

17. Flare

Flare

Yeah, though I do like it, it looks more like it would crumble when it hit the ground. Maybe however we could still use this, when those pillars rise from the ground and Sonic can hit them to break them, would we be able to use them here since they do look like they would break easily if hit.

18. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    Subtle cracks would be more appropriate for the above-water columns, but keep in mind these are the ones that have been underwater eroding for centuries or more. Many of them break in half and fall towards you simply from the pressure made against them by you running through the water under them. I'd imagine they'd be in quite a horrible state if they can collapse from such a gentle current.

Then again, gentle is a bit meh: this is Sonic we're talking about, so it's probably a pretty strong current. But it's a marble column, if any current made by a hedgehog can break it, it's about broken already.

19. I reckon it could still be used as in between breakdown of a breakable one, so something like this: Subtle cracks --> Badly cracked --> Bits going everywhere.

20. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I still have issues with the top. The curls look a bit better now, but those... dots still look fluffy and out of place. Those things aren't pasted on with glue, it's a pattern cut out of the pillar itself. They don't even need to be dots, you know. Use some creative interpretations and check out some real-life Ionic pillars.