don't click here

Survey Says

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Chimpo, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    This is not a topic for anything currently in the works, it's just a few questions I want to ask. This is all I could come up with at the moment, but I might add more in the future. If you would like to add any additional information, please do so.

1) How many of you are familiar with programming for the Genesis.

2) What is the extent of your knowledge. Can you only do minor things that have already been documented by others or can you manage to create something new entirely?

3) Would you be willing to work on a project not related to Sonic?

4) How much time can you dedicate on a project?

5) How much do you think your time would be worth to work on a project? ($$ Hula For Your Mula $$)

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Very (although I need to mess up with the YM2612).

http://srb2town.sepwich.com/demos/engine_demo.bin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QErqMAJ2omQ

I think the links above give that one out.

Right now pretty much all my time, but hopefully I may start working soon, besides you'd have to take into account my lazyness, so probably a few hours a day.

Depends on the project really.

3. Flygon

Flygon

As much as I would looove to say very... I'm not really familiar with programming anything. While I can find stuff in games... thats about it.
    I was working on a Shining Force ROM hack that'd changed the game around quite a bit (And finding quite delicious bits of data while I was at it), but half of what I did was pre-documented by a man called rubixcuber that I had been working with.
    I'm better at hacking Shining Force than Sonic.
    That is incredibly variable, it depends on if I have the motivation, and if real life isn't interfering (I've had a ton of days where I wanted to work on my projects, but my parents had other plans).

Or if someone hasn't completely 1-uped me (Long story short, someone made a hack that aimed at the same goal (Making the game more difficult) and did a better job of it, Shining Difficulty was more of a demo anyway :v:).
    With my limited knowledge? Not much.

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Enought to Control 68K and VDP and some aspects of YM2612, Although I need to improve on Z80

Yes, I can and have privately (yet to be revealed later in time)

Yeah, I'd give that a go

depending on how well the project is going (if it's doing extremely terrible, you might as well start again)

I'd say enough to do something extremely awesome (at this point ALL the time I currently have, which almost comes across as 24/7)

...for money? meh, I'm not really fussed tbh, I kinda have no use for it and tend to do it for the fun

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    That's very impressive. How long did it take you to come up with that?

I'm not asking to be slaved in bondage here, just enough time here and there as long as work gets done at a steady pace.

Only thing I can say is that the project is that it's not based on any existing IP. It would be in the tradition of the intense, quick action games the Genesis was known for and the project would mainly be a labor of love for a great old console.

As I mentioned, nothing concrete is in the works or active. Whatever exist of the project is simply concept art on multiple pages of paper. I am mainly seeing if there are enough people skilled enough that would be interested on working on something new for the SEGA Genesis.

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    First, the bad news:
    I'm not a good 68k programmer at all, yet alone the Z80. I'm afraid I wouldn't be of much help in this department. But here it comes the good news:
    Yes, definitely. By keeping in mind 1 and 2 above, it's implied that there aren't many things I can contribute, but I might help with music if you use a known engine such as smps (possibly Z80 to free up 68k processor time).
    Additionally, since I'm much better at "normal" programming (dos/windows), I can easily come up with simple editors and/or tools and/or converters you might need, you can ask Varion Icaria about that, I made like a dozen of programs for him.
    I always work for free, that's both a good and a bad thing, as it relies on my motivation. It is good because if I want to work on something I can give you something awesome in a short amount of time; it is bad because my motivation fluctuates and sometimes I spend months procrastinating. I usually perform well when there's a team leader reminding me goals and deadlines, though.

So yeah if you think you can have any use for my skills, I'd be glad to be in.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Although I may have zero knowledge on the actual programming aspects, I'm pretty sure external tools would be a great benefit in getting a lot of things done faster and easier so that could be a big benefit.

8. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    If we take into account only the time I've been working into it (I'm not working quote often into it due to laziness mostly, as there's no real motivation behind it), let's say that in about a week most of that should have been done. Most of the laziness is caused by having to make new graphics as well, as it takes a while for me to make some good sprites (not too much, but it gets tiresome quickly to spend so many minutes in a single sprite) :/

And by the way, the level layout there is compressed using a basic RLE. There's also a 1BPP font in a menu not visible in that demo that actually yields three colors (transparent, white and black). Bonus points to whoever can figure out how I stored three color graphics with a 1BPP format (hint: look at the HUD, which has a similar font although as 4BPP for speed reasons).

:P

Do you even have anything defined or just want to make a new game for the sake of it? Because from the description you're giving, that pretty much matches the main idea behind that ROM I made (and that map in the video was exclusively a tech demo, now I can start working on a level and the only major thing needed is making an object system really, and I have an idea about how to go about implementing it).

Um, that'd be interesting to see, I guess.

EDIT:
    I guess I'll have to improve my BMP2TILE tool :P (which does the job but its usage is quite rusty due to being some hackish thing I made up quickly to convert tiles to the native VDP format).

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    I have something that I've been developing and refining over the years.

10. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Buried under SSRG Somewhere Tech Member
    Academy City
    SSRG, world domination, a billion and one research projects...
    I'm somewhat familiar with 68k, as well as small amounts of SH2 and Z80.

I've done some porting of things, if that counts as anything. Some of the ports have been done with semi-original code that imitates the desired item to port.

Depends on what it is. Usually yes, except in certain cases.

It constantly changes based on school. Sometimes a lot, sometimes hardly any.

Usually for free, but that usually applies to small projects. If it's large, then things might change, although usually not by much. Asking about that now probably isn't the best idea, though. I'm cheap to free, usually free, if that helps at all.

11. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Alright.. my 2 cents;

1) How many of you are familiar with programming for the Genesis.
    not me.
    2) What is the extent of your knowledge. Can you only do minor things that have already been documented by others or can you manage to create something new entirely?
    I can barely follow the documentation.
    3) Would you be willing to work on a project not related to Sonic?
    Yeah, if I liked the ideas enough, I can draw a bit and write music.
    4) How much time can you dedicate on a project?
    Probably around a-day-and-a-bit per week
    5) How much do you think your time would be worth to work on a project? ($$ Hula For Your Mula $$)

I'd do it for free if it was something I'm passionate about, also I need more shit for my artwork/animation portfolio.

12. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    I just noticed this part...
    I replied assuming it was for free :psyduck:

13. Malevolence

Malevolence

Tech Member
    Fairly well, still learning every day.

The latter.

Very much so, I've always wanted to try making a game.

It depends daily but I do usually have a few hours a day.

Depends what's wanted really.

Overall I've been thinking of making a custom game but it's tough when you're not really an artist, but I have before vastly changed game play of current sonic games (ie making a sonic game a third person shooter with hp and whatnot).

14. MikeTH

MikeTH

Ohio
    Sorry, but I personally fail at ASM in all aspects of the word. I can do pallets, layouts, and art though.

It depends on what the project is about, regardless of whether it's Sonic or not.

At most on weekdays about 7 hours, on weekends it's completely variable.

Money? I'm fine without being paid, like most everyone else.

15. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    I have seen a Sonic 1 split disassembly. That's about it.
    I have edited somethings following the guides, but managed to figure out how to disable drowning. Not much.
    Sure, as long as the end result is fun!
    Right now? Very little. I work retail, so I'll be busy until after Christmas. Spring 2010 is looking fabulous though.
    If I have fun with it or feel it to be worthwhile, I'd do it free of charge. If it is not interesting, I'd just not do it.

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    I've been involved in numerous projects that have fallen apart because of a key member no longer being motivated to work on something that didn't benefit them anymore. I just want to put it out there for any programmers that I would be willing to pay for their talent. Make some money on the side while doing what you like to do.

17. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I pretty much know the system inside out, though there's always some things left to be discovered. I'm specializing on sound and Z80 code.

I would be, but I'm already working on Pier Solar(doing sound stuff), my own run n' gun game(doing all sound, gfx, music, code, you name it), Rick Dangerous MD(doing sound stuff) and S1MSMD(doing everything).

I have lot of time, but I'm rather lazy...........

money is not a motivator for me, but its always nice to have.... I like things like hardware and (complete) games rather than money.

EDIT: This is S1MSMD, highly WiP stuff
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/21/1876835/CPUuse.jpg
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/21/1876835/S1MSMD1.PNG
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/21/1876835/S1MSMD2.PNG
    <a href="http://8bitcollective.com/music/TmEE/Bridge+Zone+(MD+Genny)/" target="_blank">http://8bitcollective.com/music/TmEE/Bridge+Zone+(MD+Genny)/</a>

18. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    That S1MSMD stuff is really impressive! I love the Bridge Zone music.
    oh.
    And I gotta withdraw my 'application' I'm busy as hell now, nevertheless I look forward to following this project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.