don't click here

What would make a good classic sonic game?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by tonic41, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonic41

tonic41

Sonic game code name? sonic classic
    Hello I'm a fan game maker and I'm really lacking ideas for a game base of the classics cause I'm lost in all of this new gen miss. That's how my old game failed before.(yes it when from classic to New gen) So please don't come up with Boosting, dash pads, or homing attack(unless its the gold/yellow shied)

2. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Pretty much a bunch of the ideas from Project:Sonic retro, only executed by a smaller team of professionals working full-time.

3. tonic41

tonic41

Sonic game code name? sonic classic
    hmm I'll think I'll take a look.

4. Machenstein

Machenstein

Sonic 3 & Knuckles laid down a good foundation. Just take that and see what you can add upon it, perhaps some new shields or abilities. Make some unique levels though. Think of level mechanics that have never been in a Sonic game before. That way your game won't just be Sonic 3 Plus.

5. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    There is a very helpful website out there that breaks down the elements of the classic games. I think it was called "South Island" something, if I find it again I'll post it. It's chock full of very helpful tips and even has videos demonstrating some of the points the site tries to explain on creating a functional "classic" Sonic.

6. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    http://www.smile.talktalk.net/sj_index/nss/nss_index/

For whatever reason, it's a tough site to find.

7. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    That's the one, thanks Phos!

8. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Less pitfalls, Super Peel Out, Sonic 2 & 3K-style Spindash, Special Stages that contrast the main stages in the game (Like how Sonic 3's Special Stages looks 3D-ish compared to the rest of the game for example).

Superficially, great catchy music and no more "friends" for Sonic beyond Tails and Knuckles (If you want, Amy too).

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Plot, and plenty of it. Characters, and plenty of them. Cutscenes, and more than plenty. More is better.

10. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
  11. Machenstein

Machenstein

Why not someone just send that site to Sonic Team instead?

12. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I'd do it the lazy way and just spam SEGA's facebook and twitter with it. :P

13. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Because of their poor english. They'd take it to mean "MAEK SONYC GO REAL FAST AND PLAY ITSELF"

14. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    I think what makes the newer 2D Sonic games for the Nintendo DS STILL not hit the mark are a few things:

-The animations. I don't see why Sonic has to have all these crazy animations outside of what he used to have in S3&K. I say keep his design how it used to be, give him animations VERY similar to those in the classic games, but add on to it a little bit - make his old movements smoother leave it at that.

-The actual moves. Sonic, in all the new 2D games, has the same dash attack that you used to only be able to achieve when you were Super Sonic. Not good. Also, grinding. Sega - it was a nice little gimmick when those kind of shoes were "new" and "cool", but...that's just not Sonic. Sure, it might have worked in the 3D games because you need to be on rails a lot of the time, but why put that in the 2D games? I mean, where do these rails even come from? In the Sonic Rush series, they are EVERYWHERE. The grinding areas take up like 75 percent of each level - but WHY? Firstly, in Sonic Adventure and SA2, the grinding areas at least made a LITTLE sense. You'd come to a huge staircase...ok, cool, there's a rail there, so I'll grind on it. But in Sonic Rush, all these random-as-hell rails are everywhere for no reason. Sonic doesn't need extra rails in a 2D game - the game is already on rails by default because of the 2D perspective.

-Speed. I know the modern Sega team likes to push speed for the new Sonic games, and they're somehow thinking it doesn't compare to the speed of the old Sonic games (Project Needlemouse - "Speed is back"). Sonic Rush, you pretty much hold the right button on the d-pad and speed through the whole game. It's not speed that made the old Sonic games awesome, it was the brilliant combo of running, platforming, and jumping on bad guys.

-Levels. The new Sonic levels are very mechanical. When you were in the jungles of the Angel Island zone in Sonic 3, it felt like you were in the jungle. Everything felt very organic. When you were in the death egg, everything very machine-like, as it was intended. These new levels....it's as if they use one template for every level in the game, but just color it differently depending on the level's theme (ie: green ground for the jungle, silver ground for a factory). The actual pieces of ground are shaped so similarly, just colored differently for the different levels. They need to make each level unique and totally separate from one another like they used to in the classic games. Also - GET RID OF THE CHEAPO-DEATH-BOTTOMLESS-PITS!!! They are annoying as all hell, and have no purpose.

-Super Sonic. In all of these new Sonic games, you CAN find emeralds, and that's great...but you can only become Super Sonic ONCE in that extra level that opens up. What the HELL ever happened to the ability to become Super Sonic in ANY level once you get all the emeralds? I really miss that. Sure, it's nice to open that 1 secret level at the end of the newer games...but that's the ONLY time you can be Super Sonic. WHY!? Like I said, they need to take away these blast attack abilities and leave Sonic as his good ol' self, and then give him sweet abilities once he gathers allt he emeralds.

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Grinding was introduced in SA2.

16. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

Cali
    Wonderful thread contribution, thank you.

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    You want me to contribute? All right then...

Sonic Advance 1. I count it as the last classic Sonic game, before they started going speedspeedspeed (not that I don't like that). It had only the 4 main characters from the classic games and Amy, who should have been a main character. It felt just like S3K+.

18. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

Cali
    I completely agree that they should have the character selection down to a minimum. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and the occasional Amy would be perfect. All in classic styles, though. I hated the Sonic Adventure 2 levels with Tails and Robotnik...ugh...running around in their robot things. Those levels sucked hard. Although, I have to say that it did make sense. I mean, in the classic games, Sonic, Tails and knuckles could all run pretty much the same speed, PLUS they could fly and glide/climb walls...and Sonic could...run. It's almost as if they were more capable than him! But still...for gameplay's sake, the old style for all characters is probably for the best.

19. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    It never ceases to amaze me how easily impressed people are. Anyone worth half their salt could have itemized the concepts that drive the action in the series in at least as adequate a manner while discarding the juvenile charts that don't explain anything. Nothing in here hasn't been summed up in more detail by myself and others over at SFGHQ over four years ago.

Honestly, I think the community concentrates too much on trying to find excessive meaning in overly broad concepts and misses that most devils lie in the details. If it were as simple as following the advice on that page, Sonic Rush would have been a perfect classical Sonic game with nothing more than fixing the rolling mechanic.

20. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I might be wrong, but I'm guessing you read up to this thing:
    <a href="http://sonicjam.wikidot.com/local—files/nssnsi:what-is-a-sonic-game/elements_of_a_sonic_game.png" target="_blank">http://sonicjam.wikidot.com/local—files/..._sonic_game.png</a>
    And wrote off the rest of the site. That chart isn't really representative of the rest of the cite, and he does actually get a bit into the nitty gritty, and you have to keep in mind this site was never finished.

Also, I was just looking around SFGHQ and couldn't find anything like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.