don't click here

Project Needlemouse: old threads

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corneliab

corneliab

My mistake, I misinterpreted the post's intent. It seemed like you were labeling/condeming the other as speculation, when you were actually bringing up some of your own. Oops.

2. I wonder whether they'll implelment old school retro sonic, with the death egg. I'd love to see the death egg again. I cannot really tell what I could expect though it's too early

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Uuuuuh... The Uncharted games are the most bright, and vibrant games released in DECADES. They out colored Mario Galaxy.

Those platforms look... strange

4. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    If those are ingame renders, it seems to be 2.5D...

That looks vaguely like text. Anyone able to make something out?

EDIT: No flash, just a jpeg.

[​IMG]

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

The filename is concept_art.jpg

I don't think it's text. But I don't really like it. It doesn't look very Sonic-y. It looks more like... I dunno, Tim Burton or something.

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Fuck yeah, Time Burton's on the art team.

7. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Yeah, probably just trying to make a pattern correlation...

8. Roybertito

Roybertito

Still alive, apparently. Member
    One thing's for sure - I'm not letting Sonic cycle happen this time. I'm hyped right now, but everything hinges on who's developing. If it's someone who doesn't have a history of developing good, solid video games, or if it's someone who we know can't develop video games for the life of them ( + - Sonic Team   ), then I lose faith in the project until I actually play a demo. Sonic Unleashed wound up really hurting in the end - I was actually really excited for it. And I even played the demo and got even more excited, thinking that the gimmick wouldn't hurt it that much - we all know how that turned out.

Hell, even if they get Prope or good Dimps, the second they announce an unnecessary gameplay mechanic, a stupid gimmick, a convoluted plotline that's sure to involve lots of stupid cutscenes, or a new character, I'm out. And it'll be much worse than usual if they pull that stuff this time - because this time, it's what we want, and they should be doing it on our terms, not the terms of the demographic. The "kids" demographic doesn't matter when it's aimed at nostalgia on a digital platform.

Making a nostalgia title is a huge risk for them to begin with. Think about their competition. Turtles in Time HD, Marvel v Capcom 2, Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, Megaman 9, Tales of Monkey Island, Monkey Island SE. These are titles that were made in a certain mindset - please the original fans, exceed their expectations, make a solid game that lives up to their standards, and you will be rewarded with sales. Megaman 9 is consistently one of the top sellers on WiiWare and other download platforms. Monkey Island SE was on the top 10 XBLA downloads for 4 straight weeks - not bad when you consider it's up against top-tier titles like Turtles HD, Trials HD, Marvel v. Capcom 2, and Shadow Complex. Marvel v. Capcom 2, speaking of which, has been on the PSN and XBLA top-charts since its release. It has not moved. In fact, on PSN, it's still number one - that means it's been number one on the PSN download charts since August 13th. In that time period, several huge PSN titles dropped, namely Fat Princess, one of the most anticipated PS3 titles this year.

The nostalgia market could be huge for them. But if they don't respect us as a demographic, and ignore the lessons they should be learning from these other titles, they will not beat their competition in the arena and they will not make the money they stand to. If they do it right, however, this could be one of the most rewarding risks they've ever taken.

9. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Holy shit, good find!

Is anyone else just imagining Sonic running around and jumping on those? Looks fun. They look kinda Tim Burtony, but I'm ok with it, I guess.

10. Roybertito

Roybertito

Still alive, apparently. Member
    I didn't mean color-wise, I meant character-wise. And Uncharted isn't what I'd compare a mascot-based game series to. The last time they worked with a colorful, platforming mascot-based game was Jak and Daxter. The first one was great. The other two were also great - gameplay-wise. But the story and the characters, what with their forced Frank Miller style "grimdark" and what have you, really disappointed me.

11. Flaria Icaria

Flaria Icaria

I'm taken. Member
    I second that but, something different to look at. But, I hardly see any of those platform designs. O_o;

12. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Looks like someone learned how to use Zbrush.

13. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I'll be honest - I don't like them at all. I hope the actual game looks radically different. Or that art style is only for that zone or something.

Speaking of which, they BETTER be called Zones. And Acts. Definitely Acts.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    That layout reminds me of Worms World Party

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    For the love of god, no. A thousand times no. The damn thing blew up in 2, questionably blew up in 3/crash landed and then blew up again in S3K (the real Sonic 3), it was upgraded and blew up AGAIN in Fighters. No more. The damn thing died with the Star Wars hype.

I'd much rather them link this to Unleashed by having him raid that space fleet if they even dare acknowledge bringing back the Death Egg for the nth time.

16. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Death Egg was in Sonic Battle as well.

17. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

The Neverhood! Thats it! Thats what those platforms remind me of.

18. Am I the only one who is reminded of 'The Neverhood' by those platforms? Are we finally getting a Sonic game from Doug Tennapel? :eng101:
    (Edit: Already beaten to it...)
    On one hand, I want to play it safe since this is the same Sega that said the same 'back to his roots' thing since 2006...
    On the other, I like it and hope it is something that I'd enjoy playing and brings back the nostalgic feeling of old.

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    You kids love mediocrity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.