don't click here

The hardest Sonic game to hack

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Sonic Bourne, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I don't know a whole lot about hacking, but I think sonic R or another saturn game would be pretty difficult since emulation is pretty complicated in the first place.

2. Aka Mekon

Aka Mekon

AKA The best Member
    France
    No, I'm just sit on a chair =p
    The hardest game to hack would be all the games that came after Shadow The Hedgehog, and some games like Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Shuffle, aka all the games who doesn't have a documentation yet, but I don't think someone would hack a game like Sonic shuffle of shadow the hedgehog in the future.

3. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Sonic Pocket Adventure. I can't remember exactly but I think it has a weird 10-bit format (I think it was 10) and to edit sprites with more than 4 colours you need to edit in two different layers (eg sonic's body in one layer, and his green eyes are over layed in another layer)

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Wait, what thing is 10-bit format? :psyduck: Besides TLP has no trouble editing tiles, although the layering issue is true.

5. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I can't quite remember, I'm probably wrong. I know there was something weird when I looked into it ages ago. It might have been just the palettes or something that were 10-bit. I'm pretty sure there was something that wasn't either 8 or 16, but I could be wrong.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

The one we can't disassemble. This should be obvious.

Unless by 'hacking' you mean texture replacements or palette hacks or something equally simple.

7. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Sonic Rivals/Rivals 2?

Then again, that might be lack of interest.

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I might do a music hack of that game eventually. But for now I'm officially retired from hacking.

9. Sonic Bourne

Sonic Bourne

London, UK
    The Julian Series (Sega Genesis, Game Gear, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Sega Crescent, & Sega Model 9 Systems)
    I thought It was Sonic The Hedgehog 2006 (PS3 version). The level editing on layouts would require a hacking utility for PS3 games, which isn't avalible yet.

Sonic Unleashed PS3 is another one. You know that chaos emerald item in STH06 for turning Sonic into Super Sonic? I don't know if you can even put it on SU.

10. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Well, I wouldn't think so, the games running on completely different engines and all.

11. Phredreeke

Phredreeke

Oldbie
    Depending on how the game engine works, the 360 versions of Sonic 06 and Sonic Unleashed would be very hard to hack as well. All executable code has to be signed so you can't touch the engine at all. You might be able to hack the level layouts/textures/models unless the engine performs hash checks on those.

12. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Horizontally I knew, but vertically? Really?

13. aliialii

aliialii

La la laaaaa~ Member
    I totally agree with that. I don't think anyone's tried hacking Sonic Unleashed or Sonic Next Gen. Correct me if I'm wrong.

14. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    As a matter of fact...

15. If they could do that, then I would assume its possible to get a SS mod for Unleashed!

Wonder how long that will take...

16. aliialii

aliialii

La la laaaaa~ Member
    I think you mean...

Hmmm... so someone has hacked Sonic Next Gen. Interesting.

17. Theres more hacking than meets the eye.

Sonic 06 seems to be a good candidate for hacking...

18. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    I like the new music in the sonic adventure DX video.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.