don't click here

Sonic 2: Tag Team

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Alriightyman, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    Sonic 2 : Tag Team

This is a hack of Sonic 2 that allows the palyer to swap between Sonic and Tails during game play. Other additions include:
    Insta Shield
    Tails Flying/Swiming
    Sonic CPU Control

Controls:
    A: Swap Between Chacters
    B/C: Jump

No pictures because pictures don't show anything for this hack. In otherwords, there is no new art. There are a few bugs present, one at the end of act 1.

Comments?
    Updated:
    Download

2. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I was actually looking into doing this kind of thing for a S Factor sequel. Nice to see a working version, though it does have it's fair share of issues. Mostly Super Sonic appearing out of nowhere.

Still, pretty sweet dude.

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I tried CPU Sonic in Not-so-Super Sonic 2, it didn't work out...

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Sweet!!

that is fantastic, I'm liking this very much =)

obviously you probably already know of a few bugs such as:
    [​IMG]

but apart from the few odd bugs here and there, it performed quite well, and was pretty fun too, do you plan on fixing it up and maybe making a full hack of it? because I'd certainly love to see that

5. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    This is extremely pro. If switching the lead character also switched the controller, it'd be just like two player DKC. And having the second player control Tails would finally be useful in a Sonic game!

I'm not sure if it was intentional or if it's a side-effect, but whenever I start flying as Tails, Sonic tends to jump in his direction and end up getting carried. Either way, it's pretty boss.

6. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Holy shit, seeing super Sonic fly down to catch up with tails was freakin' hilarious.

EDIT: So yeah, spindashing as Tails when Sonic is off screen does horrible stuff to the camera, and if Sonic dies while tails is controlling, then you still lose a life... but keep on playing. I got game over'd this way.

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Try pressing A in this state. You will actually be playing as Super Sonic (albeit a slow Super Sonic) even if you don't have the Chaos Emeralds.

8. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    It's pretty cool, but Sonic's CPU AI is kinda retarded... he's always jumping around and hitting stuff. It gets even worse if you bug Super Sonic in there.

9. Graxer

Graxer

This is a very fun hack. It was a good idea to have Sonic turning super to catch up with Tails.

One bug I came across is this:

[​IMG]

Sonic was flying after Tails with his standard blue palette. (He stopped turning Super altogether for the duration of ARZ, but flashed the super palette when he landed.)

Also due to the palettes, the shield turns yellow when Sonic is in super form.

Edit: And if playing as Tails, he does the S3 mid-jump attack move when Sonic double jumps. The same happens when playing as Tails and Sonic spindashes. (Except you see the spindash dust effect)

Edit2: I have expierienced a few layering issues where Tails has appeared in front of things that he sould appear behind. (e.g. tunnels) I also managed to run back into the levels (without the camera following me) after hitting the post at the end of CNZ1

Edit3: Its impossible to pass this bit after the boss as Tails:
    [​IMG]
    You just run against an invisible barrier, and have to switch back to Sonic to reach the capsule.

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    This is one of the most creative, unique, and enjoyable player gimmicks I've seen in a long time. The gameplay is extremely fun, the execution is well done, and I love finding different opportunities to switch between Sonic and Tails to access every single nook and cranny of a level.

Awesome stuff! I'd love to see a whole game designed around this. :)

11. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    This, through and through. I really enjoyed the way this game played. Minimal bugs (although a few of those are noticable. :P) and it actually gives Tails a use in life. :P

12. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    By the way: if you happen to use the instashield in the very same moment the shield pops up (hit a shield monitor and then use the instashield), the shield sprites will use the instashield tiles :\

13. Graxer

Graxer

It seems that this is because Tails' rings run down when Sonic is super, so he runs out of rings and keeps on flying.

14. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    As is, it's a pretty fun hack. I hope you release another version with some of those bugs worked out.

15. This is a fantastic idea! Now it is like Tails is a part of the team instead of a side kick!

It would be cool if the life counter switched colors, names, and the front character when you switched.

It would be equally awesome if the end sign post knew who you were and switched characters accordingly when you hit it.

Also sometimes Sonic gets a garbled Tails scheme if you start as Tails.

But amazing job!

16. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    This is fantastic, I've been looking for something like this for so long and you made it true. Hats off to you.

17. Just played through the game. All levels from Metropolis Zone onward lock up upon switching characters.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I played it, and quite simply, I love it. Please expand upon this. It's like an awesome version of Sonic Heroes. It really adds a whole new element to the game.

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It's very nice on an intellectual level -- not a bad gimmick on its own at all either -- and certainly took a bit of effort to pull off, but the hack has a glaring flaw that most of this sort have, and that's that Tails' abilities from Sonic 3 really don't add much to this game, since it wasn't designed around it. I'd have rather preferred to see new levels or actually implementing this in Sonic 3 instead.

The super sonic return is at times quite annoying as it depletes my ring count. I suppose it comes as a punishment for skipping over most of the hazards in a level by flying over them, but it also rears its ugly head if I'm trying to go fast through a level as Tails. The slow method taken to return to the ground is also now an irritation. Admittedly this is more a matter of personal preference and probably fairly insignificant a gripe, as in few cases could this not be fixed by just switching to Sonic instead. He doesn't exactly have a large number of special abilities anyway, and he'd otherwise be useless, really. Does have potential for that method of getting super powers to be abused, however.

Still, going super without having the emeralds just seems silly to me.

20. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    I assume that the ring count depleting is a side effect of having Sonic going Super for real instead of just recreating the animation - which becomes obvious because if you toggle while Sonic is flying you can stay Super. So basically it's something that has to be fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.