don't click here

Sonic: The Lost Worlds

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by ExecByte, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    The music doesn't need to be aligned, don't worry. The Z80 is cool like that.

2. ExecByte

ExecByte

Ohio
    Ok, forget the whole thing with the "unofficial" first release, "official" second release which still had bugs, and stuff. Just delete whatever version of this you downloaded before and download this one.

Here's a third release:
    Download

I fixed the slowdown thing and the problems this had in Gens. Basically they were just data alignment problems.
    Thanks to Stealth and Chilly Willy for pointing this out, and thanks to everyone who's replied so far.
    So once again, download and try this out, post if you find any more glitches. Hopefully this will work on hardware and other emulators now. And hopefully the changes to the layouts/objects make this better than the first release.
    That's all for now.

3. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    [​IMG]

:psyduck:

Also I always wondered why you didn't change the art for the pointy piston block arrows in Winter Zone into icicles.

4. I am wondering why you didn't make the fire unix in rock zone into rock unix or mud unix.

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

In Genesis Plus for mac, 1.2.6, version 3 crashed when I hit one f the badnicks in Rock Zone.

Screenshot:
    [​IMG]

6. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    That happens on all versions of Sonic 2.

7. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    It's a bug with Sonic 2 involving the Rexon.

This bug is random in the amount of times it takes to hit the Rexon to occur (since they reappear when they go off-screen and you go back). I'm guessing you only hit it once, so you just got lucky to get the bug on 1 try.

8. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I've never encountered that bug before nor even knew about it until I read that in the wiki.

9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Well, haven't seen anything show-stopping yet on real hardware... although Tails did get stuck on a spring in Dust Hills Act 1. It was odd, he was stuck to the side of the spring flashing between two sprites. After I left him far enough behind, he eventually came flying back onto the screen.

10. Spatula

Spatula

too cool for old school Member
    is it just me or are there no invincibility frames after you get hit?

otherwise pretty good. The art could be more visually interesting on some zones, but hey you did this for free. Sega's level designers got a fat check to make the zones that were included.

11. synchronizer

synchronizer

[​IMG]

You can go through the wall.

Also, have you ever thought about making the Wood Zone paths through the trees act like the tubes in Metropolis Zone? It would be great if that was done.

12. Spatula

Spatula

too cool for old school Member
    yeah I guess you do get invincibility frames... still, overall I would say there's too much technical platforming and not enough 'durr the holding right and it going fast' moments

I'm not kidding when I say I've played Mario games that were faster paced.

13. ExecByte

ExecByte

Ohio
    Ok, I hate to post this small of an update but, this is the current version that I'm submitting for the hacking contest. Download
    I think all of the glitches/problems I knew about are fixed. But if anyone finds any, go ahead and post them. Otherwise, this might be the last release, at least for now.
    (I think I gave credit to all the people who made hacking guides that I looked at but, if I forgot anyone tell me.)

14. TheLazenby

TheLazenby

Dude, the bottomless pits still have to go. That is just not something that belongs in a Sonic game.

15. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    They are fine. Last time I checked 50% of the bottomless pits were gone from when the hack was first released to the latest one.

Also, what? Bottomless pits and Sonic go hand in hand. Sure they are cheap but they HAVE been in the classic Sonic games. Even Green Hill Zone and Emerald Hill Zone had bottomless pits.

16. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    There were only one or two in the entirety of green hill zone. Same thing for Emerald Hill.There are very few, and when they are there, it's obvious that it's somewhere you shouldn't go. If you hide them and make them sneaky, it just gets frustrating.

17. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    But isn't it the whole point?, to give the player a bit of a challange now and again with in the game?.

18. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Alright, I gave it a whirl. Not so bad, but it's far from what I'd call a finished game, and the level design could definitely use a bit of work. I really like some of the (more original) concepts and would love to see them expanded upon. The bottomless pits are kind of annoying in Dust Zone because they pop up so unexpectedly during what are supposed to be speed sections instead of giving the player some time to slow down. It's like you're just running along and all of a sudden there's a giant hole in the ground.

There was one point in Rock Zone with a diagonal yellow spring and a ledge, but I couldn't reach the ledge with the spring because Sonic kept bouncing off the ceiling and I got stuck so I ended up having to reset. There doesn't really seem to be much of a sense of speed anywhere in this hack, which disappoints me - any linear areas that would be perfect for zipping through are riddled with badniks and pits. I really think it would be more fun if things were a little more balanced. I think Rock Zone was my favorite regarding being able to go fast.

Also, you don't seriously plan on keeping that same old Wood Zone and that same old Hidden Palace Zone, do you? :( I think it would be awesome if you took those stages and brought them to life - remake the art, give them brand new layouts, etcetera.

Oh, and while I was skeptical of Cyber City from just looking at the screens, it actually looks (and plays) pretty awesome in-game. :thumbsup:

19. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    Yes, but frustration =/= challenge. Falling into a random bottomless pit before you can even see it and having to start over from the beginning after getting really far is frustrating. Challenge is meant to enhance the fun. Frustration is not fun.

I'm all for something challenging, so long as the difficulty is able to be learned from without walking everywhere at a crawl.

20. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Hey I would like to try the latest version but the downlink closes when I open it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.