don't click here

Sonic Thrash

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by amphobius, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Copy/paste from SSRG first:

So, for the nearly all of this year, I've been working on a hack called Sonic Thrash. Recently, I've been taking videos, and screenshots of it. But that's because I've been doing stuff.

There's quite a bit of history to this hack. It originally started in February, this year (coincidentally, Mobius Adventures started in February last year, but cancelled in September), as a hack to show off my music. But then, I decided to do a little arty stuff, then some layouts and so on. Then, my hack was on it's way to a proper hack, and I had no idea how! Though, the problem came with a name.

I couldn't go with Mobius Adventures, people would moan about "Where's the old stuff", or any name with an 'R'. I thought my hack was trash, so I went to call my disasm folder "Sonic Trash disasm". Unfortunately, I misspelt and somehow went with Thrash. I liked the name, so I stuck with it.

Anyway, what I want to do with this hack.

I want to have atleast 7 zones. With the addition of the less favoured Sky Base Zone, then to Final. Allough, this might take a while.. ^^; But the zones already there, are as follows

Sapphire Hill Zone, Crystal Egg Zone, Waterfall Lake Zone, Crystal Caves Zone, Speedust Factory Zone* and Scrap Brain Zone.

And I've put it into zone order, so you can get a grasp at what zone is based off what.

Oh, I almost forgotten, Screenshots!

[​IMG]
    I already posted this, but still, I replaced the Sonic Team Presents screen with this. Much better than dull old text, eh? ;)

[​IMG]
    Title Screen. Try to tell the difference :P

[​IMG]
    Sonic 2 Level Select, creds to Psy Esrael. Allough, editing the pallete for this is somewhat strange though, the Sonic/Miles text is on the last pallete line :S ; Outdated

..and to the levels!

[​IMG]
    Second act of Sapphire Hill Zone, and as you can see, there's the giant wrecking ball! :o

[​IMG]
    I've shown it millions of times, but who cares, Crystal Egg Zone is at night-time, and the ruins are peaceful.. or are they?

[​IMG]
    Crystal Caves Zone, still need a background pallete. Any suggestions, guys? ; Outdated

[​IMG]
    And Speedust Factory Zone*, looks great, huh.

And that's it. If you need to drop a comment or something, this is the best place to do it in.

*Speedust Factory Zone - by MarkeyJester

And to the download; Sonic the Hedgehog Thrash - Release #1

Comments/Critisms are appreciated at this time. And no, I didn't enter the contest.

2. STE

STE

Played it, enjoyed it very much. Classic gameplay, with a new feel. I love the music, too.

But like I said on SSRG, something has to change in that SHZ pallete. =P

3. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    Crystal egg looks beautiful. I just hope it looks as good while you're actually playing it, and not just in a still image.

4. [​IMG]

I assume you know about this and most other errors anyway. There was another one involving a loop, I think I went right through it, problem with planes or something, I dunno.
    I'm growing fonder of the music now that I'm playing it. Good job.

5. Master3k

Master3k

Good hack.
    I can suggest you some stuff.

-Layout from GHZ. I don't like the way the tiles don't fit and you fall.
    -Was it me, or did I killed the boss from GHZ on 3 hits? Makes things easy.
    Other than that, good job.

6. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    You really like the color blue, don't you?

7. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Overall, it's pretty decent. Standard spindash, the new levels are different from the old levels so that's pretty cool. The old levels are... well I know you're working on replacing the layouts and this is a beta so I'll skip past the areas I know. Colors just aren't doing it for me, but I don't know how I'd improve it so I'll shut up about those.

There is one lulzy thing that I've only been able to do on this one act of this one level but I can do it every time, guaranteed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjH4mZMPVw0

I can't seem to figure out how to do it straight from the get-go, but I can do it after dying. I'm not sure what causes it to do this, but it makes an otherwise unbeatable mess, well, completable.

8. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I counted three splash screens besides the Sega scream. WTF is with splash screens in hacks these days? D:

9. amphobius

amphobius

life
    Wow, four months since I last posted in this thread O_o

Anywho, I may as well post some stuff—some I have shown in the screenshot thread—some I haven't.

[​IMG]
    New intro stage, in Mystic Cave's slot.

[​IMG]

Doppler's castle - it may be dated, however, appearances can be deceiving.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Magma Industry.

Also, I updated the article on the wiki -- it can be found here: Sonic the Hedgehog Thrash

10. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    This looks.... awesome! Seriously, wow! I only have one question: Are those backgrounds fixed or do they have palette rotating, deformation... ?

11. amphobius

amphobius

life
    At the moment they're just fixed, though it may not be like that forever. However I lack the know-how to do it, so meh. :v:

12. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    OMG RAINBOW ROAD *dies*

Splash screens were a bit annoying. (#stuff = dead so we know which one should get the boot first)

I liked the layouts. I also liked how this hack seems to "fix" what was "missing" from the Sonic Genesis games (spin dash in S1, "10" on ring boxes").

13. amphobius

amphobius

life
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank you SOTI! :D

14. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Is anything working except the palette or is more stuff to do?

15. Is it like, broken knuckles. Because if it is, good luck trying to fix it :u

16. amphobius

amphobius

life
    Every thing that remains is the palette, life icon, sign post and 'Knuckles has passed' text. He plays like you expect Knuckles to, aswell.

17. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I thought I sent you the palette. :O
    I'll do it tomorrow.

18. amphobius

amphobius

life
  19. amphobius

amphobius