don't click here

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. BreakTheChains

BreakTheChains

I agree. I imagined running Sonic past one and falling off a cliff or something because I was distracted. I think the idea is to make it less awesome looking so people won't forget they're playing a game. As it is though, it would make a terrific avatar or something.

2. ancara

ancara

I am pretty sure this style idea of mine will likely not get through, and I intended it just as an idea for possibly trying out different art directions for Sonic 2 HD, but I wanted to show you guys a possible art style we could do. Also, I did these using MS Paint, so if ya ask how I made these, now ya know.

So what is this style that I speak of? Think of it kinda like some of the tiles and sprites found in Super Paper Mario. (you know the ones) Now then, lookie at this here Badnik I did to demo the style to you peoples:

[​IMG]

Basically, it has a blocky and flat-like look to eet. It's supposed to look like that. It sharpens up the sprites and give them a lego-like look.

But what about Sonic you may ask? Well, I did him as well(and god was eet hard to do ;_; ) :

[​IMG]

Yep, he has a similar lego-like look along with sharpening of the look of the sprite. By now ya can tell a certain pattern with these sprites: They all involve minimal to no changing of the original pixels(except either to separate certain parts or if a color is too dark/bright to normally use) that are shown. It's too give a feeling that the sprites players grew up with got a good upgrade and are sharpened up to look cleaner than before.

and of course, we can't forget about the tiles for the ground and stuff Sonic will be going through in his adventure, right? So, as an example, I did the Green Hill Zone flat land tile top (I'd do Emerald Hill Zone for this, but because it's just an example, and I don't wanna go insane right now working on it, I used Green Hill Zone instead) :

[​IMG]

This is what really gives me that Super Paper Mario vibe the rest of these give. You can tell from the look of the sprite that it gives the original a new unique look, and personally I think it's a good new look for it.

Now then, you're probably wondering how they look when put together. Well, I took care of that and put it together to show ya:

[​IMG]

I'll just let you guys look at these pics and think about the look. Tell me what ya think of this idea for an alternative style (possibly have a few alternative styles people could pick from in the game to play the game with? ) and if it'd be an interesting thing to try out, ok?

Oh, and I will do examples of other things as well (Egg-O-Mattic, Item Box, Spring, ya get the idea) to further show how it could give a different look to these sprites. Hope ya like what I tried out, and I hope people could try some ideas for art stuff. (since I believe trying out new things for a look is a good thing) Well, see you guys later, and I hope it gives ya ideas. :3

3. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Well, this is a nifty idea and all, but this is basically just more talk of changing the art direction entirely. Now, if we were to include this as a bonus type thing, I don't see an easy way to actually do that without just going and redrawing everything in that particular fashion. It would be like making the game twice. It's a neat way to draw stuff, but I just don't see it happening right now.

Your stuff reminds me strongly of stained glass, though. Maybe you should make a stage in this style only and call it Crazy Cathedral Zone or something. I'm sure if you did do that it would find its way in somehow. That'd be too much work to not include it. :P

4. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    I can really appreciate your art, infact I like it! However we aren't trying to create a reinvision of the Sonic style (well we are but in a more subtle way) we are trying to create Sonic 2 in HD.

Are you actually suggesting that this;
    [​IMG]

is a better HD version of sonic than this?
    [​IMG]

5. Your idea has it's merits, but I hardly think the Sonic 2 HD project is the place for it. That art style is hardly HD, it doesn't fit the theme at all.

6. We could probably do that with the original Sonic 2 if we heavily edited an emulator to render it like that.

7. ancara

ancara

Well, when I was trying to show this to you guys, I didn't mean to try to replace the current style being used. I was just saying we could add in an option to have a few different styles for the player to try the game out in. (original is an obvious one, and maybe a couple other)

Also, thanks guys for telling me what ya think of it. I'm current trying to finish up a spring sprite in this style, and then I'll show ya it and the item box(as well as obligitory putting them in the main pic of them all together) so expect them soon. I just hope you guys like what I end up doing in this style.

Also yes, a zone in exactly this style would be an interesting thing to do indeed. In fact, I can have a friend of mine draw up a level design for it if ya want me to do it. Well then, until I finish that spring, see you dudes later. :3

8. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    @ancara: I'm liking the idea, as it's somewhat similar to what I was trying to put across. There is one problem though; concerning Sonic's sprite, it seems you've outline d EVERY different shade, making Sonic look an absolute mess. If it were just certain parts that were outlined on the sprite, it would look pretty cool (@everyone: And NO I do NOT mean just the outside of the sprite and nothing else. :3 ). The Spiny badnik looks pretty cool in this style.

EDIT:

@Exodus: Somehow, I doubt he was implying that his idea looks better than the current design. It was just a suggestion for an alternative style, and, if I'm assuming correctly, have the style as like an addon.

9. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    'LEGO Sonic', anyone? ;)

10. bobrocks95

bobrocks95

Hell, they're doing a Lego Rock Band. Anything's possible, why not?

11. ancara

ancara

[​IMG]

I went and fixed up the sprite a bit for the skin colors. Hope ya like the changes I did for it.

Anyways, new content to show you guys. Well, first off here's a spring:

[​IMG]

Next, the item box, with most pics done for it that'll be seen in it(would've done the shoe as well, but couldn't find sprite to it to use) :

[​IMG]

I even have a starpost done as well(I'll admit this one was a toughie) :

[​IMG]

and like last time, a pic with all of them together to see what they look like together:

[​IMG]

Oh, and the idea of a level in thi style was interesting that I got a guy to start working tomorrow on a tune for it. So yeah, I am interested in this working out.

and yes, my main intention was to have it as a possible alternate style out of a few for the player to choose from, with them being the original, mine, and a couple other styles done by other people here. I just hope that what I'm doing here will be worth it in the end, and that it has a chance to be used. :3

12. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Tell him that people was being sarcastic...now xD

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I believe a filter could be programmed to do such a thing in real time, in some emulators... So it might be a bit pointless trying to do it all by hand.

14. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    XD, I have no idea! We can probably go pretty wild with the Alpha, like using extreme animations for testing. But in the end I guess a lot of stuff has to be cut down. After all, people will not have time to see long/extended animations.

15. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Hey guys, look what I've just found [it's only artwork, btw] - and I think this is a pretty good example for what a Paper Sonic might look like:

[​IMG]

16. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I've seen that, though I forgot about it. The only complaint I have about it is that the UV mapping on the checkered areas is terrible.

17. Not to mention his arms are blue. Seems odd one could go through all the effort to make this, then mess up the arms.

18. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    ...Why are the stripes on his shoes yellow?

Seriously, there's so much out of place with that one it's not worth critiquing.

19. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Congratulations! The project received it's first stylistic mockup.

Note that this is exactly what you should have started with. I'm not talking about the "scribble black lines around oversized pixels" thing, because it's frankly rubbish; something we only know FOR SURE now we've seen it.

Next: Someone watercolours a background, does an acrylic paint for the foreground with cel-shaded badniks and Sonic running around, as a test. No?

20. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Keep on runnin' to the finish! Member
    No offense but you guys are being rather harsh to someone who offered their free time to work on the project.
    The artwork is interesting, certainly a unique style. But not what is generally being aimed at for Sonic 2 HD.