don't click here

Old-school Sonic chessboard

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    In case some people still haven't seen any pics from it:

Concept art:
    [​IMG]

Final product:
    [​IMG]

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw any non-Japanese merchandise featuring classic Amy...

So, turns out these are being made by a German company named Gaya Entertainment, which also has some classic Sonic toys and keychains on schedule (no real pics of those products yet, sadly).

I find it quite interesting how classic Sonic is gradually stealing market from new-age Sonic. Now if only SEGA considered making some new games using this style. =\

2. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Gahh...gahflal....agahgalala..*foams*

That is amazingly awesome. Insta-want.

MUST FIND WAY TO OBTAIN

EDIT: Would've been cool if one side was Robotnik and his badniks, thinking about the lack of him.

But then again, what child wants to play as a fat scientist?

3. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I find it interesting how Knuckles appears to be a classic version of his Sonic X art. Looks awesome, maybe I'll import it on Christmas.

4. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I'd buy the hell out of those stress Sonics. I'd go through them like Bill Clinton goes through fugly women.

5. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Robotnik > Master Emerald.

I want this board. I want to play all over it's fantastic checker boarded pattern.

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Wait, wasn't this thing released many years ago? I swear I saw this before.

7. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Does anyone else find it ironic that Sonic is the slowest moving non-pawn piece on the board?

8. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    That's because you'd be stupid to move him so early on in the game.

That said, I'm not a big fan of merchandising, but this is pretty cool. I might just get one for no reason at all. But then again, that's why merchandise sells :psyduck:

9. Although the idea was nice, the actual pieces don't look very good...

10. this

but then again, a lot of the plastic sonics don't. they could work on it a bit more, but classic sonic doesn't look good in a 3d-ish perspective.

11. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    I recall seeing pictures of this, too.

Also, I honestly would've preferred if there would be Chao instead of Rings. It looks so weird to play as... well, rings. They're relatively inanimate, after all. =/

And by the by, why is everyone going apeshit over old-school Sonic? :psyduck:

12. Because we're all bitter nostalgiafags on this site. Didn't you get the memo?

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    HOLY SHIT, I WANT ONE OF THESE

Is anywhere actively selling this?

14. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    I think that this chessboard was originally made before even Sonic Adventure, which explains why it's using the old-style Amy.

15. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I had seen this board before. Probably in ukresistance.

I'd love if Eggman was on the other side of the board as well.

And Amy is the most powerful. :psyduck:

About the retro Sonic figurines not being done well... There are exceptions.

<a href="https://www.first4figures.com/component/option,com_myphp/Itemid,3/product,66/" target="_blank">https://www.first4figures.com/component/opt...d,3/product,66/</a>

I love this one, even the spikes are perfect. <3

16. Because otherwise you'd either have to

A) Use an Adventure character, seeing as Amy is the only girl in classic Sonic (Tails aside)

or

B) Make a whole lot of gay jokes by making a dude the Queen.

17. A few weeks back I bought this awesome classic Sonic:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know where it came from or how common/rare it is... I just fell in love with it. To me it looks like it's supposed to from whatever angle you look. It's pure classic Sonic awesomeness.

EDIT: I may have used the word "awesome" too much. I guess I was just excited for having found an old-school Sonic, since I don't like the new one that much. I agree that there are many ugly attempts to represent classic Sonic in 3D (IMO, the chess piece is kinda ugly) but some attempts have been very successful, which means that the original design is not "so flawed that it's impossible to represent in 3D", like even I have thought in the past.

18. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Apart from awesome, that reminds me a lot of Tweaker's old avatar. I wish I had kept it laying around...

As for the chess board, this is the first time I've seen it. It would give me a somewhat good excuse to get back into chess, though I really wish the the other side had Robotnik with his badniks.

19. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    [​IMG]
    <insane babbling>I must now conduct 5 days of searching eBay.
    [​IMG]
    Make that 10.

20. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    But that one is awesome though! :v:

Representing Sonic in 3D isn't hard. The problem is making a Sonic doll that is accurate, especially with the materials they used - it's hard as hell to get any 3D model to be accurate with those things. It isn't just Sonic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.