don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Holy shit, those things actually have an animation? My entire life is a lie.
    Vincent just made me realise that, after all these months, I still didn't post this shit :0

[​IMG]

2. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    That looks quite good.

3. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    [​IMG]

Looks great just like the other explosion did!

If anything it interprets the original shape too closely if that makes sense.

One the third frame from the left I would like to see the whites more intense as I think it would make a better flow when the image is animated. Also the last too frames look too brown to me, I think they would look better based on a more red colour.

Anyway these are just very very small things and it is a great job

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Nearly a complete remaster!:
    [​IMG]
    (all lights and light positions are wip)

5. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, I never noticed the animation until I looked at that image in the database a couple months back. Blew my mind.

6. test-object

test-object

Noted.

That was actually on purpose. I considered it would desaturate as it faded away. If it isn't good, I can still fix it though.

7. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member

...I suppose you could use the alpha channel too ^^...not just following the original sprite restrictions =P

8. bobrocks95

bobrocks95

Is there a reason the thing connecting the shutter-type area to the thing jutting out of the bottom(didn't know how else to say all that) is missing? That's the only thing I see that's really off on that remaster. Oh, and of course the lighting. :P

9. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

Not to sound mean, but it looks really... flat... And as noted previously, some things aren't correct on it.

I do like how the chrome in general looks though, but It looks a bit too much...

10. test-object

test-object

My very first Illustrator attempt. I'm growing up towards the big boys now.

It's a very early WIP, but I wanted you people's opinion on the green orb. What is it supposed to be?
    I imagined I could go wild with it, but if you dislike it, I don't have to continue in that direction.

[​IMG]
    PS: yes, the pixels will be polished.

11. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    I think it looks pretty cool.

12. ancara

ancara

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cpqbyd&s=3
    [​IMG]

This was my attempt at doing one of the tiles for Hill Top Zone, made in MS Paint.(yes, I used MS Paint for this. I has no monies for illistrator or other stuff that costs monies to use >: ) It took 2 1/2 hourse to make this, so ya can tell it's not easy to make stuff with it.

I also placed what I used for shades and stuff if ya wanna take a look at it.

If ya wanna know how I did it, here's a step-by-step thingy(just remember, I did it in MS Paint) :

1.) get intended sprite(in this case the tile) and resize it to 400%.
    2.) study the sprite closely and, to the best of what ya can do, make an outline that is as 1:1 to the sprite as possible.
    3.) start with base color from original sprite as darkest color, and fill in neccessary spots in the outline with it.
    4.) Get your next color(a little bit lighter than the base color) and then make it one pixel farther than the base color in the outline'd sprite.
    5.) rinse and repeat(except make it one pixel farther for each new color ya use) until intended number of shaded have been used.
    6.) Keep steps 4 and 5 up until all parts of the sprite have been shaded.
    7.) take a look at it and fix any small problems ya see on the sprite until it looks right.
    8.) enjoy your new shiny HD sprite. :3

It's a long process to get it finished, but I think it was worth the effort.

Hope it looks ok, and tell me what I could do to improve it, ok? I just wanna be able to make it look good enough to be used for Hill Top Zone.

13. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Well, we can do this.

[​IMG]

14. ancara

ancara

That does look good and shiny, but I think it may be a little too clean. I could understand if it were Emerald Hill Zone, those are(as far as I know) supposed to be shineh. But I think that with Hill Top Zone, it should be a little more rough, maybe a bit of a rocky texture(but only a little bit, not too much or else it wouldn't end well) to give it a different feeling from the other ones.

and as for the tile I did, I tried to give it a more rough look to it than the Emerald Hill Tiles, but I don't think it went well. I'm just trying to help give Hill Top Zone's tiles a more unique look to them, so it can possibly enhance the general look of the zone. I just hope I'm trying to do the right thing here. >:

15. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    We could certainly mix it up with some textures. I was just showing you that we can use the blocks we already have. ;)

16. I think test-object's idea of putting the "emerald" in Emerald Hill is interesting, but would it look better if it were like looking through the top of a gem?

17. test-object

test-object

Could be done... It's more of a crystal than an emerald atm, so I guess I should fix that.

Also, boom.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Fixed, but GIFs like raping quality. I really hate making these.

18. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    I think it looks pretty good.

19. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    you should use the alpha channel to make it less rough I think...remember, we can use transparent fades and every other use of alpha's

20. test-object

test-object

The last 2 frames are gradually more transparent. It just doesn't show that. Maybe because it's a GIF or on a black background.