don't click here

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Woot

Woot

My god this is perfect! :O On the other hand I suppose it would be best to match the original perfectly when time is a factor?

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Perhaps the interruption is dragging for a bit too much, but that's basically the effect I was talking about. Nice job.

Well... didn't some TVs back in the day use to do something similar (yet faster) when a nearby cell phone was receiving a call?

That "nearby source of interference" effect might be precisely what we're looking for, since it was somewhat similar to what those 16-bit sprites showed.

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Even my computer monitor still does that :eng101:

And I think the animation is perfect as is, time wise.

4. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    I believe the white noise interruption needs to be cut down a frame or two, but otherwise excellent work.

5. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    I don't like how you've kept a black border down either side of the image when it distorts.
    I mean really, when it warps, it would slide right off the side of the screen instead of sliding behind a black bar.

Does that makes sense?

6. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    That's excellent, but yes, the distorted shield image should wrap all the way across, and I think the static effect could be a bit shorter, or maybe just delayed a bit longer so it doesn't do it so often.

7. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah!
    It is exactly like it was in my head!

Thanks for lending your skills in drawing it so greatly! ^^

Changes to make:

Given this part of your animation is the one to be displayed most of time:
    [​IMG]
    • Create one "clean" "still" frame to replace the above animation. The main icon frame must look clean and without disturb.
    • The above trembling animation will appear as part of the disturb transition.

*addtional*
    -Extend the disturb beyond the black bars

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    How about making those two frames go as fast as possible to make the picture look like it's glowing? I'm not sure it will look as good when making it completely still.

9. I don't see any point in doing that. The player will want to break the monitor as soon as he sees it, so he wouldn't have time to see multiple effects. :)

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Make the post noise distortion frames mirror the ones before it. It seems like that set is dragging on longer than it needs to be. That piece is coming along very well, nice work Growler.

11. Looking pretty good, but one thing that bothers me is how gray the noise is. It blends in with the casing of the monitor too much. I think it should be more black and white.

12. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    Just a quick test to see how other monitors would look in The Growler's style. I know there's a lot wrong with them, such as the animation not being exactly the same and there are still black borders surrounding the icon, but this is just a test to see how this animation looks on other monitors.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Edit:
    knew there was something I missed; there are no scanlines on the actual icons!

13. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Or I could speed up the current white noise interruption frames to give the same effect?

Perfect sense actually; I hadn't thought of that - thanks :)

heh ^^ actually, all I've been using to do this, is a program called 'Benton Movie GIF' and also Paint.NET to do most of it for me :)

OK, I'll do 2 versions: one with shield 'animation'/flicker, and one without - with my latest version.

1) with 'animation'/flicker:
    [​IMG]

2) without 'animation'/flicker (if this is what you mean Vincent?):
    [​IMG]

Oops, not sure why they're not animating at the same time - guess I'm no good at doing maths ^^;

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I think it looks far better with the flicker—it gives it a better feeling of actually being an old, low-tech CRT monitor that would be used to hold something like a power-up.

15. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, those totally need the flicker.

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yes. If anything, because it doesn't look good if it stays static for too long. I want to see animations everywhere.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Definately the flicker - and I love what you've done with that animation, as a side note.

18. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member

Definitely prefer the flicker version.

19. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Flicker Version.

20. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Good fixes Growler, and again good job on making those! ;)

Yes, seeing the still image monitor frame as is, it looks definitely coming to a rough stop with all those animations before and after.
    One solution could be to replace the still image with very fast flickering frames (by 1 ms or something extremely short) to simulate some more active blending, but we definitely need to see a test to judge it properly.

All the other fixes you've made are very nice, especially the bands now transitioning properly with the screen image.
    Just one thing on the B&W effect:

-Your B&W effect is awesome, but on your latest version seems a bit too fast.

*Please, on the following animation do include one of the character icon monitors, just like Exodus have done.
    It will be the final test to see how something with more details will look with your animation! *

Go on like this Grow! ^^