don't click here

S3K Redundancy Fix V1.0

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Varion Icaria, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Well in regards to people been asking about what I've been up to recently and the fact that people want a lesser form of S3K to work with I decided to release one of my projects. It's a fix for S3K that removes the redundancy found within the S3 Layer. This is the first version so there are some glitches still intact but it's a basic proof of concept just to get the ball rolling. So I hope you enjoy. the File size is now 3.1MB. Download link is below.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/bbe49dec-ba63-4c...260813/S3KBuilt

This was done using a disassembly I started on after I found Stealth's to be a bit inconsistent to build. Credit goes to him for most of his labels and for inspiring me to make a better disassembly. I may release it when it's complete as I am going to remove the SK only features. I hope you all enjoy.

Edit: Just to let you all know this is version 1.0, The next version will have a fix for 2P mode. Reason 2P mode doesn't work is because the code was left in the upper section where S3 used to be. a simple fix is to simply report and point it down to the routines equivalent in SK therefore it saves even more space. I also do apologize for the lack of S3 music. I am going to Place the regular S3 driver in for the next version.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Nice! Hopefully the eventual release of the source code for this hack can lead to feasible extension and hacking of the game beyond basic palette and layout editing. :)

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  4. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

Any glitches you find please post them, I also need help deciding credits music. Either S3's or SK's Or should I use the one from the Beta?

5. Playing as Sonic alone...

Angel Island Zone

- No music, short sounds still can be heard (Knux Theme, Invincibility)

- Special Stages work...

- Loops only work halfway, then you fall through the floor. 0.o

- Almost couldn't beat Angel Island Act 2, but THANK YOU LIGHTNING SHIELD.

Game over at Hydrocity. Unavoidable Loops. :P

Also S3 Credits is THE BOMB. Most of S3's music was better than the S&K versions.

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    If it was me, I'd use the one from the beta, as it matches the style of the other games (mix of all level tunes) but it includes all the zones from Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. And I don't think the drums are that wrong as some people insist :P

Gonna download hack now.

7. nineko

nineko

italy
    As I told you on AIM, loops don't work properly, and music is missing. But this is still awesome, as a proof of concept if anything. Everyone kept on saying "yes it's possible, yes it's easy", but nobody ever bothered actually doing that, nice work proving that many people were just talking out of their asses. Now to wait for a bugfix, but this is already very high on the awesome scale.

Oh and I'd use the S&K credits song as it is, I always liked it more than S3's.

8. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

I just remembered why loops don't work. I was preparing to save more space by switching to the interleaved solids format. and the game automatically marks the secondary index as above. My bad guys.

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
  10. nineko

nineko

italy
    Sik, he already prepared a new version which fixes all the bugs, with music and working loops, though he couldn't post it yet because the forum was down. And I'm not going to leak it. Just wait :)

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Awesome work, Varion! I haven't played this hack much, but I was able to make the game reset itself when Sonic was on his snowboard, I jumped and I fell off the planes.
    I'm also recommending that you use the beta music. Hopefully you'll release the source code in due time, since I do want to do stuff with S3K (including porting back to S2), but I've generally found it confusing.

12. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Wow, awesome.
    Personally, I'd say use the beta's credits music. It fits in better, as Sik said.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I dunno, is the beta music the same length as the credits music normally used?

14. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

I will be posting the next version soon but I need help with the music in regards to Title and Invincibility. Either SK or S3? I just finished removing the SK alone title screen, Very soon I have to go through and the other SK alone stuff as well as change things to remove "& Knuckles" from everything. Title Screen is already fixed and logo is moved down also. I am also debating about doing something for both Sonic and Tails in Regards to the beta. Have CNZ head to FBZ for Sonic and Tails to make it more smooth in the transition and have Knuckles continue to go to FBZ through MHZ and have Sonic and Tails Dart off after seeing Eggman Fly downward off the ledge of MHZ. Anybody think it's a good idea?

15. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    Maybe we can use both the invincible themes. Remember how Sonic 2 had special music just for Super Sonic? I say we have a vote and the music voted as the better version gets to be in Super/Hyper mode.

BTW, I give this awesome shit :thumbsup::thumbsup:. (2 thumbs up)

16. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Nice.
    But I think I'm the only one here who will vote for S3's credits music.

17. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

Problem with that entails I have to mod the Z80 driver to amend the songs after the sound effects, Although I can do it I'd rather not have to add more than I really have to into this. Does anybody have any idea's of what the beta stuff would've been like in accordance to the beta's we have? like of Hidden Palace and such? I haven't played the beta too much but any differences that I could add in for more of a Sonic 3 "full" feel I'd be glad to add in.

18. Vinsent

Vinsent

Maybe you could make a version for both? I know a would prefer the original order though, however others may disagree.

19. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

Well if you analyze how Knuckles ends in CNZ and how Sonic/Tails does you can see that it would fit better as well as in the actual level order FBZ was supposed to be after CNZ.

Edit: As for the credits music most likely will be from the Beta. I have decided to leave the boss themes alone as in S3 had them both which was planned that S3 levels were to use the S3 mini boss theme and the SK levels were meant to use the SK mini boss theme.

20. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Just an idea for the multiple Invincibility themes. Could you use one for the invincibility and another for Super forms?

Oh and for the credits music, how about having it play S3K's if you get all the emeralds, Sonic 3's if you don't?

Just a few thoughts...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.